It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman who MADE UP entire bestselling holocaust memoir is forced to pay back $22.5 million

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

And exactly what's wrong with nazis? Aren't they people too? LOL

I wonder why TPTB made holocaust 'denial' illegal. Why did they have to go out of their way to make a specific law?

Why didn't they make lying illegal?

And ... on topic ... why would TPTB take the authority to cause this woman to forfeit the money she made off of a book's sale? If lying is not illegal, who gives a crap about the contents of her work of fiction? I didn't buy her book ... and based on the subject material ... I wouldn't even waste my time downloading it (let alone read it).

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Actually it is classed as fraud presenting outright lies in a non fiction book.

Thats false trading and fraudlent. If I wrote a scientific paper and delibratly used false data that would be illegal and the same with her book.

If she had wrote it under fiction there would not be a problem.
edit on 12-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
As I stated above, I do not deny a holocaust, many millions did die.
But things did not go down like the "official story" states.
More Russians died than jews/israelis/semites (whichever card they are playing at the moment).
We never hear them crying about it or capitalizing on it either.
I just get a kick out of it every time one of these people are found out to be a fraud, it reinforces my thought that there are more lies out there than truth.
Had the Axis won the war, there would have been many Allied prison camps left in the same condition as the german ones.

On a side note...
Poor monkeyboy never did take the time to ask me the color of my skin before he rolled me up in the Nazi crowd either.
I think that is an AdHom? Is that the right word? Typical strategy...

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

Did I call you a nazi? please show me where I called YOU a Nazi please do.
I meant the people starring the post about anne frank actually.
edit on 12-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Most of the places were denial is illegal are places where either Nazi mostly came from or who got the hardest hit.

There places had to likely make a choice on this between free speech and social upheaval and raceial violence.
Not saying Im comfortable with such a limit of free speech but I understand it.

Germany and Austria have a shamefull stain on there history and they dont want a small group of human waste neo NAZIs digging it up in such a horrific way.

Pkaces like Russia? Well they got hit so hard you cant blame them as if neo NAZI started shouting there heads off riots and violence will likely ensue.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I would consider that giving up liberty for security, and we know about that.
But will this story get any press in other countries that do not allow free speech?
It is the truth.
See the problem here?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: g146541
I would consider that giving up liberty for security, and we know about that.
But will this story get any press in other countries that do not allow free speech?
It is the truth.
See the problem here?

As i said I didnt particuly agree but understand.

Anyway its there country and most like Austria are democracys so if thats what the people want who are we as foreigners to critise that?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Not saying Im comfortable with such a limit of free speech but I understand it.

I understand too. I'm just not willing to accept some arbitrary rules somebody else made up and tried to impose on me.

You see, I don't blame WWII on the Nazis at all. I blame it on the Germans and the Japanese as citizens of their respective countries. Fortunately (for everyone), most of the ones who are responsible are dead and buried.

In that same light, I take a fair share of credit for all the harm the USA has done in my lifetime. It's called: Being responsible (even if it's only indirect responsibility).

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I use the term NAZI as a blanket term for any citizens and armed forces personal that supported the NAZI reguime directly or indirectly.
Saves me from listing all countrys that supported the NAZI reguime such as Austria, Vichy France, half of the Ukraine ect plus makes exceptions for Germans ect made enemys of the NAZI reguime by refuseing to comply with it or resisting it.

As for takeing responsibility of your goverments actions? I would only hold you acountable if you voted for that giverment or joined the military after a queastionble action.

IE I wont take responsibility for the UK involvement in Iraq as I was not old enough to vote for the labour goverment at that time nor have I done anything to contribute to the war.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

And ... on topic ... why would TPTB take the authority to cause this woman to forfeit the money she made off of a book's sale?

I guess the people who made the "Blair Witch Project" should give their money back too.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Dapaga
Actually I think the Blair Witch got away with calling it "based on actual events".
And it was, a few kids did go camping with cameras.
The current fraud in the OP was claiming "true story".

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What about James Frey? Or these other outright lies declared non-fiction by the author?

www.cracked.com...

James Frey net worth 4.5 million!!

www.celebritynetworth.com...

You can definitely print fiction as non-fiction, but your publisher will abandon you if you're found out.

Strange they made this woman give back that money, when James Frey smiled all the way to the bank.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
a reply to: RocksFromSpace

Well, what about the bible then? They push that as truth but have no proof.

That's a good one. Don't forget though, holocaust has 6 million (allegedly) victims. Innocent people who died because of what they were. Bible followers are over a billion and have chosen to be lied to. Big diff if you might ask.
edit on 12-5-2014 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Why can't she just rebrand it as a fictional memoir like Memoirs of a Geisha and the Royal Diaries series?

Why go all the way to sue her when she can just give at least half to Holocaust victims?

Also crazyewok, i do agree that Jews play the H card to their OWN benefit, while other victims are left in the dust

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I'm not surprised the least. Glad she got busted and now will be known as a scheming liar. She should be put in prison for telling such lies. She would've got away with it too had it not been for those pesky "anti-Semites".

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I'm curious, and this is something really never asked.

How many Russians, Europeans or Americans (non Jewish war survivors) were ever found out or convicted for fraudulent stories about their suffering during WWII? How many were ever under scrutiny for suspicion of forging claims, such as Anne Frank's Diary? Human Skin Lampshades? Gassed 6 times and survived to tell the tale? Human Soap bars? Giant flaming pits of Human bodies? Mass graves?

Not questioning whether these things actually happened or not at all. I'm genuinely curious if there are goyi- I mean non-Jewish war stories that were just wildly overblown or simply just made up sensationalism used to stir up the media. Was this exclusively a Chosen People habit?

@ the Moderators
Also what's going on with censorship on ATS? Are the other posters in here truly forbidden from questioning the Holocaust? When did this become a Germany-governed website? What's going on here and who do we complain to here about this? All proper civility being shown, I thought free speech was respected here. Will you be contacting the authorities and sending them my way for questioning the narrative, should I feel compelled to do so?

edit on 13-5-2014 by yourignoranceisbliss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: yourignoranceisbliss

I agree we need clarification on it.
Oh and no free speech on ATS..they do have rules.
If you lived in Germany and posted denial stuff on ATS and someone complained you could do jail time.
Plus Germany can block sites containing such material.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Quite a few "Holocaust survivors" have been found out. There was an elderly couple on Oprah a few years back that were recently found out to be peddling a Holocaust story that wasn't even based on a smidgen of truth.

As for the Holocaust, the whole topic has been so deeply ingrained in our minds that we can't discuss anything other than the "approved" version lest we get an over-emotional knee-jerk reaction flood of hate going on both sides.

Logic and reason abandon reasonable and logical people when it comes to this topic.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Just found out that even If you are in the EU and make holocaust denial websites Germany can ask for your arrest and deportation.
It happened in the UK and the UK court denied the germans request...but from wiki.

The European Union's executive Commission proposed a European Union-wide anti-racism xenophobia law in 2001, which included the criminalization of Holocaust denial. On July 15, 1996, the Council of the European Union adopted the Joint action/96/443/JHA concerning action to combat racism and xenophobia.[47][48] During the German presidency there was an attempt to extend this ban.[49] Full implementation was blocked by the United Kingdom and the Nordic countries because of the need to balance the restrictions on voicing racist opinions against the freedom of expression.[50] As a result a compromise has been reached within the EU and while the EU has not prohibited Holocaust denial outright, a maximum term of three years in jail is optionally available to all member nations for "denying or grossly trivialising crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes."

interesting.

Oh and I got mad yesterday because of the now removed Anne Frank post in which some guy claimed the pen she used was not invented until 1958...I showed him it was BS..but people kept on staring his post...despite just below the actual facts of the matter.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom
Quite a few "Holocaust survivors" have been found out.

Also several soldiers and civilians with stories, too.

Unfortunately, much like 9/11 and American Idol, some of the people with the most ridiculous stories end up being the focus of attention. Even sadder is the fact that many of them actually have valid life experience but for whatever reason just feel the need to add a chunk on here or there.

There are several organizations which are dedicated to tracking down valor thieves (people who lie about military experience) and the like, but I am sure there are just as many who have gotten away with such terrible behaviours.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join