It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Pain Exist After Death?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Our "soul" may still experience pain based on our memories, both physical and psychological. These memories may conjure pain symptoms in the present from the past, or be projected into future anticipations. It is not all psychological where pain exists, obviously, but just like phantom pains, our soul may remember pain, which may leave one with the ability to recall the physical or psychological sensations/emotions, where the environment that triggers the pain no longer exists. We are so tightly knit and woven into our bodies that, from WebMD, "Sometimes, the brain memory of pain is retained and is interpreted as pain, regardless of signals from injured nerves."

www.webmd.com...

I do not know if pain exists after death, but it does exist in the mind without physical reality and based on memory. So, if we can remember love, joy, happiness, pleasure, and comfort in the afterlife, but not pain, then something blocks or governs our memories so we will not be able to access the vault to feel real or imagined pain. And if pain goes, would not empathy/sympathy? I doubt we will be robbed of our senses, they will exist in some forms, if life after death in soul form exists. Or maybe we get a new shell and our memories/consciousness of past experiences are wiped clean.

No one knows, but for now, pain exists in at least two realms that I know of, possibly three. The third being anticipated physical and/or emotional experiences...has not happened yet, but is perceived and projected.

Good thread. Very thought provoking. The joys and pains of life!

edit on 8-5-2014 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-5-2014 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: intrptr

And when there is no longer any worry?

That would be after resolving the crisis of conscience. Like if you've wronged someone and you find it difficult to resolve in your mind until you apologize and amend the affront. That would be the end of pangs of conscience.

To me worry is destructive, its anxiety and physical agony like heartburn, sour stomach, headache. Those are some physical symptoms of worrying and anxiety.

Concern is a better word that doesn't involve physical feeling. It utilizes reason and rationale to figure it out, not emotion. Some might call that guilt, but thats also more like worry than concern.

I'm not doing a good job of describing this, I am rushed at the moment.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Forgiveness is divine ye know

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boscov
Our "soul" may still experience pain based on our memories, both physical and psychological. These memories may conjure pain symptoms in the present from the past, or be projected into future anticipations. It is not all psychological where pain exists, obviously, but just like phantom pains, our soul may remember pain, which may leave one with the ability to recall the physical or psychological sensations/emotions, where the environment that triggers the pain no longer exists. We are so tightly knit and woven into our bodies that, from WebMD, "Sometimes, the brain memory of pain is retained and is interpreted as pain, regardless of signals from injured nerves."

www.webmd.com...

I do not know if pain exists after death, but it does exist in the mind without physical reality and based on memory. So, if we can remember love, joy, happiness, pleasure, and comfort in the afterlife, but not pain, then something blocks or governs our memories so we will not be able to access the vault to feel real or imagined pain. And if pain goes, would not empathy/sympathy? I doubt we will be robbed of our senses, they will exist in some forms, if life after death in soul form exists. Or maybe we get a new shell and our memories/consciousness of past experiences are wiped clean.

No one knows, but for now, pain exists in at least two realms that I know of, possibly three. The third being anticipated physical and/or emotional experiences...has not happened yet, but is perceived and projected.

Good thread. Very thought provoking. The joys and pains of life!

Not sure if this is where you were going with this but it is where it took me into the conversation. People who have lost limbs and still feel the pain even though the limb is no longer there. As it applies to the discussion at hand what is everyone elses input on that? I know my train of thought is sometimes out there and hard to describe.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: jaynkeel

Perhaps both body and soul/spirit are of the same shape?

Thus.. if a piece is missing from one, it still remains in the other?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’ 25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’ 27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ 29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’ 30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ 31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’

1 thinks it is possible depending on location Akragon

even here in this separate location, there appears to be mental anguish in concern aswell as memory of what was done which can = pain to/for some.

rev 6:10

And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

NAMASTE*******

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
In the many accounts of near death experiences, they say there is no more pain.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think we still feel everything after death, I'm just not too sure on how much we remember.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

In my opinion we are already One with the All because we are the All. Nothing exists outside of perception meaning we are the All experiencing itself from infinite viewpoints.

If there is no pleasure or pain then there is nothing else either. If you remove those two things you remove everything else by default. Everything is connected and reliant on everything else.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Emotional pain is not a "pain" any physical pain from emotional distress is caused by the bodies reaction.

I do believe in a "soul" whatever it may actually be.... but I think how we feel after this life entirely depends on what happens.

We could have to go through various lives - in which case yes, we'd feel pain in our new life
We could end up in another spiritual plain, one which allows us to experience things that we can't even understand.

It's all about where we go and what we become. Like you said, I guess we'll all find out some day

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I'd say it definitely depends on the afterlife. If the atheists are right, then no because there won't be anything. If people of faith, any faith, are right, then yes because our consciousness at least will go on in some form or other. I assume we will at least preserve our memories, and we will remember pain, physical pain, we will also preserve what makes us ourselves, including our emotions, but even if we assume there is nothing negative, we will have those memories of pain so that we know we are having a good afterlife full of joy and love. It might be part of why we are here now, to gain those memories and experiences.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
the defacto assumption of life after death is HELL of an assumption....

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
i asked that while doing an evp, the answer straight after was No.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I think it is important to remember: emotions are born of the flesh. Emotions are neurochemical responses created via a complex chain of neurochemical reactions. emotions do not exist after death.

Pain is a feeling born of flesh. If the flesh ceases to exist, then what we call "pain" ceases to exist. Not to say there isn't an analog in the afterlife.

Pain does not endure after death, once the body has ceased all function. I suspect the act of death is quite painful for the body, but I also suspect that the life force likely vacates before this happens.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: immoralist
the defacto assumption of life after death is HELL of an assumption....

I don't think that is correct. There are reams of anecdotal evidence regarding "afterlife" experiences. Is anecdotal evidence really scientific? No, not by itself. But given that science doesn't seem interested in developing a way to measure non physical phenomena, I am not certain science should be given a voice in the matter.

Regardless, it is a safe assumption for philosophical debate. Science likes to think it has measured the death of a person and identified "after life" experiences as being just the brain misfiring. But who's to say that the brain misfiring isn't the evidence of interaction in the afterlife, only we are interpreting it as "random brain signals" because we haven't bothered to study it.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Are emotions born of the flesh though?

As we know of they are complex chemical responses that happen in the brain... but what controls these responses?

How is it that we can get a "feeling" about something or even from someone without any physical contact... or even from across a crowded room?

How is it that we can have a deep emotional response from a musical piece, or a scene in a movie which we feel in the heart not the brain

Theres so many questions that science can't answer...

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

"Feeling" is sensory input, and is purely physical.

If you really want to know what it is like to exist without a body, the best I have heard is the hermit yogi's in Tibet that get locked into cave for a couple of decades. Robbed of all sensory input, save the occasional gut gurgle and breathing, the meditate on nothingness to remove the human from human being as much as possible.

Otherwise, in the rest of the world, beings are so inundated with sensory input that the more sublime senses (which we call "psi") are almost completely drowned out. It is like trying to hear your fingers snapping while at a death metal concert.

Emotions are the physical brains response to sensory input. Logic has little to do with it. Logic is truth, and that is what comes from the "overself".

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It could not be purely physical if no senses are involved in said feeling...

Example... the wife comes home, you're no where in the area, perhaps in the garage... You did not hear her, nor did you see her, yet you know shes home... and you know shes pissed about something...

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

"Psi".
Its still physical.

I am honestly not being dismissive here, but a good understanding of my viewpoint can be gained from the Ingo Swann database files. Essentially, "psi" is sublime senses. But it is still sensory input.

If it exists in the physical realm, it is physical. the interaction of your "other self" is done in a non physical way.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

There are greater form's of pain than just the physical but since I have experienced another place shall we say I can say that though I felt detached from that other body it was almost identical to this one I am using to type now and yes it had senses, but is that death or merely translocationism of the soul?.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join