It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Earthquake Advisory Issued for Oklahoma

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
145 earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater occurred in Oklahoma from January 2014 through May 2.

Important to people living in central and north-central Oklahoma is that the likelihood of future, damaging earthquakes has increased as a result of the increased number of small and moderate shocks.

Stay safe Oklahoma!

While Oklahoma's buildings can withstand light earthquakes, the damage from a magnitude-5 temblor could be widespread. Oklahoma's last major earthquake was in November 2011, when a magnitude-5.6 earthquake centered near Prague, Oklahoma, destroyed 14 homes and injured at least two people.

"Building owners and government officials should have a special concern for older, unreinforced brick structures, which are vulnerable to serious damage during sufficient shaking.

Link to story

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

When did fracking start? That would be my first question as to why there is a steady and prolonged increase in the number and magnitude of earthquakes.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I heard that the USGS are saying that Oklahoma should expcet and prepare for at least a 5.0 or greater in the near future. That is a going to really hurt this state, because most of the buildings are definetly not built to withstand earthquakes. im just one state over on the border with Oklahoma. I think that Fracking has drastically changed the way the earths layers are sitting on each other, and may be producing movement between the rocks. a sort of slippage, not good.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Fraking is definitely related if not causal. The areas in which fracking is currently occurring are also the areas with the most earthquakes.
edit on 6-5-2014 by whitewave because: spelling

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

edit on 6-5-2014 by whitewave because: double post

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

That was my first thought Dave.

Text"Oklahoma is typically seismically stable, with about 50 small quakes a year — but in 2009, that number jumped up to more than 1,000 and on November 5 a 5.6-magnitude tremor rattled Oklahoma — one of the strongest to ever hit the state — leading scientists to wonder if the increasingly common use of fracking, the controversial practice of blasting underground rock formations with high-pressure water, sand, and chemicals to extract natural gas, may have put stress on fault lines.

link

Oil output has doubled in the state since the start of 2010, from 160,000 to 320,000 barrels per day, primarily due to fracking for tight oil

link

Oklahoma: 2500+ Earthquakes Since 2012 - Wastewater to Blame?

edit on 6-5-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I dont understand the whole Oklahoma earthquake thing. They aren't on a fault line, right? They aren't on a mountain chain or a river fault ... what is causing those earthquakes. It's like in the middle of nowhere when you look at possible causes ... it's perplexing to me.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
If they would just look at the frackin policy they have governing this gas and oil technique, they might not have so many problems in those areas. They need to use moderation in this practice. It seems most people will destroy their local environment just to create a few jobs and some tax revenue. They should think, what good is that revenue going to do if their houses are crumbling apart and their water turns toxic. People can only see money nowadays. They cannot see they are destroying the ability of the earth to provide a nice home and healthy food for them. All these people are going to be living in the camps the government built because they destroyed their home. I doubt if an insurance company is going to pay homeowners if these things destroy their property. Collecting from the companies doing this won't work, Lawyers are the only ones that are going to prosper.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

There is the Nemaha faultline that runs through OKC and the Meers faultline that runs through Lawton. There's also some folding faultlines that are on the Eastern border.
Thing is...Okies never knew about them or experienced EQ's until the fracking started.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Crazy. I didn't know there was a such thing as an earthquake advisory. You learn something new everyday.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That`s an impressive graphic !!!

Almost none from 1978 till 2008 and then, from 2009 till last year, what an amazing and sharp increase in the number of earthquakes per year !!! ...WOW !!! ....and this year it`s even more amazing with more earthquakes till now (May 5th) than all of last year that was already impressive in number of earthquakes....

Can this be related with solar maximum ?!
edit on 6-5-2014 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
If fracking is the cause then Western PA should have had a 9.0+ by now! The amount of fracking going on along with the amount of gas wells that are going up every month here you would think we would have had something by now.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending fracking at all or even dismissing it as a cause. I am trying to show that there is more to it than just that.

JT

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greenblaz
If fracking is the cause then Western PA should have had a 9.0+ by now! The amount of fracking going on along with the amount of gas wells that are going up every month here you would think we would have had something by now.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending fracking at all or even dismissing it as a cause. I am trying to show that there is more to it than just that.

JT

You will get some quakes there shortly since you brought it up. The quakes created by fracking are usually small. There must be something else going on in the area they are talking about, like an old fault line, or they would not be increasing the possibility there.

Seems when someone says it will never happen...it happens. The people around there can blame you for saying something if they start getting quakes.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

That's my luck!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
If it is fracking that is the cause in earthquake activity in OK., you can bet that the energy corporations will deny it and the Neocon government will bend to corporate will.

Profit above even the well being of the citizens is the current operating system...get used to it!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: whitewave

This fault line map is rather hard to read but all I could find.

link

edit on 6-5-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
If it is fracking that is the cause in earthquake activity in OK., you can bet that the energy corporations will deny it and the Neocon government will bend to corporate will.

Profit above even the well being of the citizens is the current operating system...get used to it!

The strange thing is that the communities often want the fracking there so their local economy is better. They like the increased tax base and the job creation. Well, there will be more jobs to fix people's houses when the foundations crack I suppose, and also to redo the quake shaken homes. Insurances replacing the dishes and pictures that fall off the wall will also bring local store sales up. What a weird way to increase the economy of an area.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

The strange thing is that the communities often want the fracking there so their local economy is better. They like the increased tax base and the job creation. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And when their water becomes undrinkable, and their property values plummet....what then?

www.csmonitor.com...

e360.yale.edu...

Illness due to fracking....

www.frackcheckwv.net...

No worries....what's a little human collateral damage when corporate profits are at stake.

edit on 6-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Not only corporate. If communities did not benefit by fracking, they could stop them from coming in. Now, the lies and deceit that the corporations spread is a whole different thing. They promise the world some times. Not all corporations doing this are bad, they are following the environmental policies of our Federal and State governments, ones that have politicians in them that accept campaign contributions.

I can go back on forth all day on good and bad involving fracking. They know that fracking will be found to be bad in the future, that is why so much is going on now....before developing the wells is banned because of a multitude of bad effects. They actually developed so many wells that the price dropped on the gasses. So they had to create this propane shortage to raise prices. Notice natural gas prices jumped up this winter...demand went up so prices went up. Raised prices even though they have enough natural gas reserves available so they don't have to drill another well for twenty years.

I think the whole country is built on deceit myself. I wonder if these people are even capable of telling the truth. Seems like they lie just because they want to lie, they are obsessive compulsive tricksters..

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I think we both know that exploitation of the environment, the citizens and the financial operating system will continue and infact increase. At times I think being aware of the reality of the situation is unhealthy in and of itself.

I'm so tempted to sell everything and invest in the things I despise like energy companies, surveillance companies, video camera manufacturing, private prisons, and all the other types of businesses that foster the coming fascism; And retire in a country like Costa Rica that has realistic and honorable values; sit on the beach, go fishing, and stop worrying about the decline of once the greatest country on the planet.

Just another expat.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join