It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conversion of Matter into Energy and Conversion of Energy Back to Matter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
a reply to: AlienView

Einstein says that matter and energy can be shown to be equivalent...
i.e., E = m c ^2

No that's not what he said, because he's no fool.

Allowable conversions of one kind of substance into another are governed by the interactions permitted by the specific physics of the Standard Model (or whatever you think is better).

Einstein's theories set restrictions on what the behaviors of the interactions are, but don't give a recipe or assert any equivalence.

It' just like saying that if you burn gasoline you know you will get certain joules/mole in combustion energy out, but it doesn't mean that gasoline is "equivalent" to water and CO2.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This thread is slowly blowing my mind because it brings back memories of when I was young, lying in bed in the dark, wondering what exactly it was that I was "in" and experiencing.

It elicited that circular argument I would have with myself that was like this feedback loop, getting less and less clear with every moment, and more and more incomprehensible:

"How does the universe - and life - exist? What if it didn't?"

Then I'd try to comprehend the lack of a universe and the absence of all consciousness.

It is impossible. Life can't NOT exist. An envelope in which life thrives MUST exist, there is no alternative. None.

I think we exist because we want to. We have to. "Science" can try to figure it out, but I don't think it ever will.

Are there other universes in which life exists as well, maybe vastly different from ours? Maybe, but we have no idea, and it's really none of our concern. We're here at the moment, not there.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
An interesting posit from someone I'm enjoying reading atm:

The current scientific model is very slightly flawed but will very soon improve. The flaw is that scientists generally believe that the basis of your universe is energy and that all material is constructed of this. Their postulates and models work from this assumption. And they aren’t far wrong. It is beginning to dawn, however, on some scientists that CONSCIOUSNESS is the basis of the universe. Consciousness is what everything is made of. The energy that you are able to work with and perceive is created by, from and within consciousness. Coming to this realisation and finding a way to integrate it into physics will change everything. It will precipitate a massive leap forward in your ability to comprehend your reality and that will allow you to construct fantastic new technologies. Finally your physics will allow you to transcend the light-speed barrier, for example. It will allow you to traverse time and space in a wink.

Zingdad

This is really worth reading and book2 is free online as he writes at the moment... It's obviously on the more metaphysical side of the discussion here, so for balance you may also wish to have a read of this, if you have not already:

Alcubierre Warp Drive Description In 1994, the Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre proposed a method of stretching space in a wave which would in theory cause the fabric of space ahead of a spacecraft to contract and the space behind it to expand. The ship would ride this wave inside a region known as a warp bubble of flat space. Since the ship is not moving within this bubble, but carried along as the region itself moves, conventional relativistic effects such as time dilation do not apply in the way they would in the case of a ship moving at high velocity through flat spacetime. Also, this method of travel does not actually involve moving faster than light in a local sense, since a light beam within the bubble would still always move faster than the ship; it is only "faster than light" in the sense that, thanks to the contraction of the space in front of it, the ship could reach its destination faster than a light beam restricted to travelling outside the warp bubble. Thus, the Alcubierre drive does not contradict the conventional claim that relativity forbids a slower-than-light object to accelerate to faster-than-light speeds.

Alcubierre Warp Drive

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: f4andHALFtoads

10 stars to you [if it was allowed] f4andHALFtoads - finally I get an intelligent answer - Excellent links - intelligent concepts worthy of further study.

I also might consider what 'quantum physics' implies. From my understanding of quantum physics, alternative dimensions/universes are possible and maybe even likely. If this be proven true, would it not be possible to surpass limitations in this universe, such as 'relativity and the speed of light limitation' by creating an alternative universe where different laws of physics exist, and thereby creating a 'stargate' where we could jump through the limitations of this universe and then return at a different point in space and/or time?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Thinking about this further consider this. Man continues to learn more and more about the atomic structure of his physical universe. At some point in the future he will be able to duplicate the exact atomic structure of physical matter - inorganic matter will be the first to be reproducible - but latter, as we learn more about life and its energy patterns this too will be reproducible. To transport a living entity such as a human by copying does present a problem as you will have cloned the original and then what do you do with the original? The original may have to be eliminated [reminds me of an episode of 'The Outer Limits']. But this concept still is worth considering for the future.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
Thinking about this further consider this...

Consider this instead...amongst the crowd I hang with, there is a consistent, persistent rumor that teleportation of objects first happened quite some time ago at a military base in Florida. I've heard the same story from a number of people, at least half of them officers that were stationed there at the time. And the stories were very similar.

With me, that usually means I'm running a spoof on someone and made sure my buddies back me up beforehand. But in this case, it's been one story after another over the years from people who didn't know me or each other before we got liquored up and started swapping Community® stories. So, it could be an old cover story for something else, or maybe, just maybe, it was real.

One version of the story has it that that's where Roddenberry was fed the idea for the transporter on Star Trek. That would be too pat so I'm discounting it. At any rate, the common features of the various stories are that it had to be non-living and static, that is, nothing about it was moving other than the usual phonon sort of thing. And the two endpoints had to be linked by something described as being like a waveguide. So rocks would go and end up about the same, but not, say, a gerbil.

eta: we once bought a whole barbecued goat for the purpose of carrying it out past some guards and tossing it in a dumpster. We spiced it up with some commentary on how we were glad that the thing had got a test goat instead of one of us, poor thing, and wasn't it awful how experiments could go so very wrong. The rumors that started were legendary. So,it's very VERY possible that this project was about something else altogether, and the teleportation story part of it was all barbecued goat. But who can say? It was a very detailed story, and it sort of matched across maybe a dozen relaters of the tale.

eta:

What A Barbecued Goat May Look Like
edit on 6-5-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I created a perpetual energy conversion device... m.facebook.com...
Historical!

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
If you transported people to another continent in a random manner, then asked them when they got there who they wanted to be with near to, I'm sure most people would want to be back near to who they know / are used to.

Maybe energy is the same. If you could interigate what the energy particles wanted to do and amplify its 'will' they might do all the work for you.

Simple is always best.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Can you help us out here? The OP says:

And while scientists in 2014 at Delft University successfully teleported information encoded into subatomic particles with 100% accuracy, this is so very far off from the kind of teleportation we're used to seeing in shows like Star Trek, Stargate, etc.

Is there any connection at all?
edit on 6/23/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

TBH, I think only vaguely. They're imposing some sort of particle state using entanglement, at a distance, which is in itself sort of cool and oddball.

The supposed thing in Florida actually instantiated matter. Or it was causing the thing to be elsewhere in toto in some manner. You didn't have to pony up enough energy to create a few hundred grams of test object, it went from point A across the street to point B over some sort of waveguide thing. There were a lot of details that matched across stories.

But again, it could all have been cover story to disguise something else in development. It did hang together better than a lot of the scuttlebutt you hear.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Oops. I should have posted that here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I will do so and await your response.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join