It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you risk tour life to save a total stranger?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Just putting this out there to see the response.
Me was a active Volunteer Firefighter very active for 35 years and EMT...to old now but if their is a major emergency, I still have my gear and go like the blizzard last year and hurricane Sandy,
I ended up in ER about 5 times in life..Burns,broken ribs and smoke inhalation.

I saved about 6 lives and would do it again for no pay.

OK ATS people would put your butt on the line for a stranger?
Look forward to the responses world wide.
edit on 1-5-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

would put your butt on the line for a stranger?

Depends on how well I knew them...

Peace

(of course)

Peace

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
YES!!! Unequivocally!!!!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Thank you for your effort.

I would save a stranger and hopefully I would be use full if I did it. But then since I know death is not the end the so called sacrifice is not as great as a person who thinks you do not exists after death.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Honestly, I would have to assess the situation. I am a mother and have responsibilities to my own children, and putting my life on the line may seem reckless and irresponsible.That being said, if it were a child in a situation,likely my instinct would kick in regardless of the danger to myself.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Honestly, it would have to depend on the situation. If it was a child or baby, most definitely but otherwise I'm not sure if I would.

If it was a close friend or family member I would risk my life to save then without a second thought.

link   
Most people, I hope, would answer "yes" to your question. What would be interesting to know is what would prevent, or at least make someone think twice about, putting their life on the line for stranger?

For me, I can't swim (embarrassing as it is), so if someone was floundering in the water and I couldn't throw something to them or other wise help them without going in, it would be a tough day for all involved. My death by drowning would not help them in any way, and I certainly would not feel good about not helping. In that scenario, if it were someone I was close to there is a good chance I would try it anyway, but for a stranger...sadly, probably not.
edit on 1-5-2014 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

link   
I usually step in, if I see no one else reacts. I never lost my life, so I am not sure if I risked it. If I was dead now, I would know more.
edit on 1-5-2014 by Siddharta because: Don't want to sound like a stranger

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Very sensible.
. Fear for the ones you leave behind.

Namaste

link   
The knee jerk response to make is always yes. However, I think it's more complicated than that. I'm betting that most regular people who end up risking their lives honestly don't stop to think about what they are doing when they do it. They simply see someone who needs help, and they go do it. If they actually stopped to think about what was really going on ... they might be whole lot less courageous and more people would be dead.

So, I think the impulse to help another person is pretty ingrained in lot of us, and we find out about it when it happens ... whether we would go out of our way to save another human being or not.

link   
a reply to: bkfd54
You have Class!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Op you a real hero, to put your life in jeopardy to save people, thats awsome, i would trade my life to save a stranger in danger any day.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Yeah I understand...firefighting is one thing. Then ya talk about a mugging, assault, bank robbery.
Yes you have to weigh it out.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

First off, good on you

The world is getting colder every day, so every hero deserves appreciation.

Yes I have, and I would do it again, as long as the risk is assessable - because adding another person in need to an emergency situation is no help to anyone.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969
If you are young to 40 become a Vol. EMT our Firefighter... I am turning 60 this year, a little yo old...but as I said..If I get a call I will go!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FatherStacks
This is a really difficult question to answer as there are so many open ended scenarios one can imagine occurring. I would save a baby or child without question, along with my family and close friends (they're not strangers but I'd still put my life in the line for theirs.)

Let's say someone is suicidal and going to jump off the Golden Gate and I was walking by, I would notify authorities but not try and force them back on the bridge.

I've helped pull strangers out of a car on the side of the freeway when I was a teen, it ended up catching on fire, so I guess I've risked my life for a stranger.

Adrenaline is a funny thing, you never know how your body or mind will react to a certain situation until you are in the moment.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I Saved Hitler’s Life In 1919

In one of those odd quirks of history, World War II and the 70 million lives lost could have been averted if, on a fateful day during 1919, a young Irishman had let Adolf Hitler die … Instead he unwittingly saved the life of Germany's future Führer.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yes I would
No questions asked,lol

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoaxster

I learned something new today!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Once I rescued a young Mormon girl from drowning on the Green River in Utah. Her group was in white water and she was knocked out of her innertube. I was fishing in a quiet eddy and saw her float by, swam to her and and kept her head out of the water until we reached calmer water then pulled her to the bank. Caught a lot of trout that day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join