It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you risk tour life to save a total stranger?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
In 1975 I worked at a Army Navy store in Bridgeport , CT. tough area ...Thank God the brother's taught how to use a blade...I was going for my car in a parking garage when I came across a women being mugged ...he had a blade... he I pulled out my switch blade which socked him... I got a small stab wound. But I got him across the chest...Me 3 stitches , him 20.
edit on 1-5-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Once I rescued a young Mormon girl from drowning on the Green River in Utah. Her group was in white water and she was knocked out of her innertube. I was fishing in a quiet eddy and saw her float by, swam to her and and kept her head out of the water until we reached calmer water then pulled her to the bank. Caught a lot of trout that day.

Very Cool Brother...Just prove we do have some amazing people here on ATS!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: skylamarie97
a reply to: Hoaxster

I learned something new today!

What did you learn?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

If it were my duty and people were depending on me to do so, then yes. Yes without hesitation.

However, if I were just walking down the street and I had my five-year-old daughter with me, I wouldn't dash across the street to tackle a madman with a gun; I'd protect my kid.

Those are two opposite scenarios and most scenarios would fall in between so it all depends on how much a person has to lose in that situation and what they are responsible for protecting.

For example, if a man had the cure for AIDS and was walking to the White House to announce it to the president, I would hope he would ignore any and all cries for help along the way while everybody around him should sacrifice themselves to get him there. It's all situational.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

If it were my duty and people were depending on me to do so, then yes. Yes without hesitation.

However, if I were just walking down the street and I had my five-year-old daughter with me, I wouldn't dash across the street to tackle a madman with a gun; I'd protect my kid.

Those are two opposite scenarios and most scenarios would fall in between so it all depends on how much a person has to lose in that situation and what they are responsible for protecting.

For example, if a man had the cure for AIDS and was walking to the White House to announce it to the president, I would hope he would ignore any and all cries for help along the way while everybody around him should sacrifice themselves to get him there. It's all situational.

I fully under stand ...never risk our children!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Did .. for over 40 years as a doctor in combat zones and disaster areas around the world that most wouldnt go to before decided to retire .. been shot .. hit with shrapnell .. stabbed .. saved some .. buried some .. live with nightmares of things I saw ..

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Absolutely. And thank you for your community service OP! I am a first responder EMT/ERT volunteer for disaster emergencies and FEMA/Department of Homeland Security, and trained and certified through the Emergency Management Institute in Washington, DC. among others.

I would put my life on the line in a nano-second for a stranger. Those here that wouldn't? They don't get it.

ATS'rs? Volunteer for your communities. They will need your help in times of distress.

Mysterioustranger EMT/ERT
ADLS- Advanced Disaster Life Support
Bio-Defense Network
Region 2 South
Wayne County, Michigan

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: splckg

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
These days? ... No.

CSB: Rappelled down a cliff once to help a lady who got tired and stuck. A little kid got too close watching the drama and fell about 40 feet onto rocks below. I was worried for years I would be sued over my participation.

Nope. Too many 2d and 3d order bad outcomes. Just being honest.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I did. PURE STUPIDITY on my part. after I saved her, the teenage brat went away.

1. received career ending injuries-- resulting in losing my career in the military after 6 years.
2. didn't get compensated one nickel, not even a dinner.
3. not even a thank you.

NEVER risk your life for a stranger, not now, but someday you may have loved ones that rely upon you. And the losses financially and physically will one day hurt them indirectly.

12 years later, i would gladly go back in time and pull up a chair and watch her go out. because today, I would have way more money, WAY better quality of life, AND the satisfaction of knowing I wasn't used for the benefit on another.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I did, and do it again if I needed to. The two that come to mind is when I was little, I saved someone from falling completely through the ice on a pond. Couple years back, I also believed I helped a stranger stay alive on a cold night at midnight.

However, those times I was lucky that the situation was something that I could control; the pond was only 2 feet deep, and I was wearing big, rubber boots, and I knew my limits when I was out that night with the guy.

I do take in my surroundings before I attempt to help someone - if it's something that I can handle, then I will attempt it. My limit would be looking down the barrel of a gun; If it ever got to that point, there's not much that I could do.

-fossilera

PS: Knowing my luck, someone would be drowning, in which case I will sadly have to look on in horror

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I have been in the position a couple times, Once to save old guy who was a little drunk and decided to jump off a boat into a river forgetting he couldnt swim...Oh great night that one jumping in the freezing cold water to help some drunk old guy...And all his mates were drunk and couldnt even drive the boat....
2nd time saved my mates kid who was in the swimming pool, He had drifted away from the saftey zone and was literally going under as i jumped in and grabbed him ( I guess thats not really risking my life though).
And i would do it again, I dont think i couldnt help, If i see someone in distress, I have to help, I cant help it.

Whats the saying,
Losing your own life to save another life, Is not wasting your life is it..

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I'm not positive I would risk my life to save a total stranger. I'd like to think that I would. I only know that I have, several times in the past. Hey, I'm past middle age, but I ain't dead.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Risk assessment.

Risk my life? Oh no....no way. I have a family depending on me. A stranger vs people I know and love, that's a no brainer.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

If it were a child there would be no question. If is was an adult in a helpless situation, Absolutely.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Might sound sexist but i like to think i would indeed risk my life to save woman and children. I'm old fashioned that way.

The rest of the dudes can take their chances, just like me! My involvement quite possible would depend on the risk factor.

edit on 2-5-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join