It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Bruce Lee

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
were the matches fake as well?
I could see him doing it when they guy had the match in his mouth, but when they were getting tossed to him and he was lighting them, was that cgi as well?

It was not Bruce Lee and the " actor " was most certainly not hitting the ball with Nunchucks. I don't have any evidence to back this up other than observation. Sometimes, just sometimes that's all it takes.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I may never tire of seeing this clip.

Okay.
I am tired of seeing the clip now.

PMSL

Here, wanna watch it again? You know you do.....

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Here is a link to a site that tells briefly how the commercial was made using the lookalike...

Factsfromfiction

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Here is a link to a site that tells briefly how the commercial was made using the lookalike...

Factsfromfiction

Thanks Man

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
As far as I know, these vids are real. Crappy quality, but you get an idea of the speed and power he had.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The ping pong match may be fake but the reality of it is most of what you see him actually do on film is fake. The damn cameras couldn't keep up with him so he was kindly asked if he could slow down his whole gig so they could actually film him. The man was faster than the frame rate of the cameras of his day…Legend enough for me!

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiro

No i mean when they throw the matches and he hits them and lights the matches, strike anywhere matches not ping pong
Seems the simple answer is yes but no one is talking about that part of the film

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I did not know that was a Nokia commercial with the ping pong balls. Still nice to see him in action doing other stuff. Kudo's to whomever posted those other videos!

Still my hero even if the ping pong was just early CGI.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Spiro

No i mean when they throw the matches and he hits them and lights the matches, strike anywhere matches not ping pong
Seems the simple answer is yes but no one is talking about that part of the film

That is also a Nokia commercial. It is in the full length commercial linked on page one of this thread.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

You sure those weren't those little popper firecracker things that kids play with? I didn't get the best look at them as he poured them into his hand but that was my first thought…however if it was matches…WOW!

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
hahahahah...bruce lee playing ping pong in his game of death outfit.....yeah

im on the fence about bruce. its not his fault though. not saying people in this thread but it gets old when you hear that he was the best martial artist ever and nobody could whoop bruce lee.....again, yeah...ok

bruce was way ahead of his time. there is no doubt about that...his philosophy on martial arts was amazing. his level of fitness was off the charts. his movies were awesome....

i know nobody here has said it but its an argument i hear a lot. his fighting prowess.
less was a martial artist. a teacher. a movie star. NOT a fighter...

i just want people(again, not this particular thread) to acknowledge that fact.

ive debated this with people so many times....they always cite his 1 inch punch and his 11 demo at ed parkers as the end all of his amazing fighting....that and for reasons i can not understand they always talk about the legendary fight from the movie dragon.....like it really happened. even if it did, which is didnt, big deal. he whooped a kung fu teacher in a seattle garage...
meh

i just want people to acknowledge that bruce lee was not this amazing fighting machine that could have taken out anyone...

i will say again though...he was ahead of his time. his book the tao of jeet kun do is a must have in my opinion and i have had a copy on my shelf for 20 years.
he was one of the first mainstream advocates of cross training. of incorporating ground fighting, in fighting, throws, etc etc...

he was a big proponent of getting rid of everything that didnt work. minimal movement. efficiency...etc....

all things i think needed to make a great fighter....even though he was not

all that said, he changed the way martial artists and others looked at combat.....

if you have not read that book i think you should

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

I get what you're saying but the truth is, we will never know. It would be really cool to see him try to mix it up in the octagon with a similar sized UFC fighter though wouldn't it? I would bet money that he could've held his own against most.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

I get what you're saying but the truth is, we will never know. It would be really cool to see him try to mix it up in the octagon with a similar sized UFC fighter though wouldn't it? I would bet money that he could've held his own against most.

it would be nice to see.
im a long time fight fan. used to grapple. my bro just went pro.....been around it forever.
i really think that most of the upper level, top 10 guys would have wiped the floor with bruce...
his level of fitness and strength was insane for sure....i just dont think he had the mat/cage/ring time to handle those guys.

those top level guys are on the mats every day...hours a day...working on their standup game/ground game/transitions.....i just dont see bruce being able to handle it.
those guys fight every day while bruce hits the wooden man....you know

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I totally agree. Those guys get their meat hooks on him, it's over. However, the fun would be to see if they COULD get a hold of him. I think with his speed and physique, he would be very hard to get your hands on. Also, I don't think his strikes would do a whole lot of damage to most cage fighters. Imagine if UFC was around during his time and he trained for it. Wonder if he would have bulked up or changed his martial arts philosophy at all?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

the thing about bruce was he had a great fight philosophy but thats about as far as he took it.
yeah he was an instructor and he went through the drills but teaching/sparring with your students is not the same thing as at the gym with your fight team going all out for 10, 1 minute rounds. guys the same weight as you or guys that have 50 pounds on you.
its a different world...

also, while bruce was fast as hell, at the weight he would have fought at, all those dudes move like greased lightning.
the more i think about it i dont really see bruce having any real advantage over those guys.

while he did advocate for cross training, he didnt put the time in himself. pick a fighter.
jon jones. sakuraba. gomi...anyone really.

their training program is insane....bruce didnt have that.
i guess he could have if he was not busy writing books and acting in movies. if he would have devoted all his time to actual training/fighting he could have been a monster...no doubt.

i know the ufc wasnt around till about 92 but they have been doing the no holds barred thing down in brazil for 100 years.
all those jitsu and luta livre guys. that was their life...

you think bruce lee could have taken out helio or carlos gracie?
i dont think so

their ages would have been close but as an example, lets you rolls gracie....i think bruce would have tapped out in less than 3 minutes

en.wikipedia.org...

my personal opinion

edit*

not only the mma guys but i think any of the old school catch wrestlers would have chopped him down with the quickness.
a lot of the old catch wrestlers were before his time but there were some insane catch wrestlers that i think would have put it on him.

if youre a fan of those arts i think catch wrestling. cornish wrestling, and irish collar and elbow are worth looking into...the hooks(holds) they use are brutal
edit on 27-10-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Never heard catch wrestling, etc. but I'll check it out. Thanks for the insight!

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

no problem man....its an old style...not really too popular anymore.

back in the day a lot of the pro wrestlers were catch wrestlers. this was before they did fake matches and all the soap opera story crap. those old school guys could really tear it up.

here are a couple names for you....
frank gotch
karl gotch
lou thesz
farmer burns
george hackenschmidt
billy riley
^^^^^^^^^those are the old school guys....they were mostly roughnecks....farmers and coal miners that used to travel the carnival circuit and tune people up for extra money....the submissions are devastating....
a lot of locks and transitions that you never really see in professional mma. at least not in the states.

a couple american guys off the top of my head that catch wrestle is josh burnett and his trainer, erik paulson. erik paulson has some amazing instructional clips on youtube...he trained with rorion gracie way back in the day

my favorite fighter of all time, kazushi sakuraba is a catch wrestler. learned from billy riley.
also, masakatsu funaki....

you should for sure check out erik paulson on youtube.....

here is one of my favorite locks as shown by the legend billy riley...

.as you will see as you watch vids, these locks were meant to bring the pain...i know jitsu locks are painful as well but there is a different method to those. those locks and transitions are mostly to score points and get a quick tap. yes they hurt but in sport jitsu the tap usually comes from the person in the lock realizing he is stuck. not all the time of course. some of those locks tear you up.

most of the catch wrestling holds were meant to mess you up. its from a different time you know....those old school hookers(thats what they were called) were broke. they were not well educated and they had people depending on them. they did hard work and were solid as rocks....so, some of those guys would finish a shift in the mine and then have a match right there in the dirt....

those old carnie matches became pro wrestling(wwe/nwa, etc) and it evolved into the dog # sport we see on tv today...

kind of sucks really.

if you ever want to talk this stuff shoot me a line. i can talk about this stuff all day....

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
i dont know who this guy is but he does the grovit correctly. its only about a minute 30 long.

you will see at first he does a jitsu style chock/lock....he almost pulls the guy off the ground before he taps. then he switches his hold to the grovit and the guy taps almost instantly...

you do NOT want to be put into a catch wrestling lock...trust me.

catch wrestling had a small following where i grew up. i wrestled in school and was pretty good. nothing amazing. my 3rd year in i was at a seminar and i hooked up with a couple guys that had a very small catch wrestling gym and started going there...my grappling improved 100%. no question about it...

here is the vid

this is a good resource

www.scientificwrestling.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
and 1 more thing going back to bruce lee and his training...

i am not a fan of tito ortiz for various reasons but something he always said stuck with me....i(and others) have thought this way but he said it in an interview once and it stuck.

we all know his team is/was team punishment....
when asked about it he said..."you punish yourself in training so the fight is easy"

imo thats why bruce would not have been a top level guy...he was nasty, no doubt but i dont think he punished himself...
hitting the wooden man is not punishment....messing around with forms(katas) is a waste....
know what i mean?

edit again*

check out this lock....i dont even know how you deal with something like this

edit on 27-10-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join