It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

View homosexually tolerant film, or school faces lawsuit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
This makes me sick! I hate the ACLU and the bull# they try to pass onto the public for their political correctness campaign.

ACLU tells district: Force students to watch 'tolerance training' video

LAW OF THE LAND View homosexual film, or school faces lawsuit
ACLU tells district: Force students to watch 'tolerance training' video
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: November 28, 2004 1:00 a.m. Eastern

If administrators of Kentucky's Boyd County school district can't find a way to force all students to attend sexual orientation and gender identity "tolerance training," the American Civil Liberties Union is threatening to take them to court � again.

Ten months ago, the district settled a lawsuit with the ACLU over the right of a student group, the Gay-Straight Alliance, to meet on campus. The year-long litigation strained relations in the conservative northeast portion of the state. In addition to allowing the group to meet on campus after school, district officials agreed that all students, staff and teachers would be required to receive "tolerance training."

The agreement stipulated all would attend "mandatory anti-harassment workshops," including the viewing of an hour-long "training" video covering sexual orientation and gender identity issues for middle and high school students.

NO Homosexual Agenda?ACLU tells district: Force students to watch 'tolerance training' video

So lets do something about it

Petition: Get ACLU off taxpayer dole

LAW OF THE LAND
Petition: Get ACLU off taxpayer dole Legal group awarded 1/2 million tax dollars for ridding courthouse of 10 Commandments
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: November 25, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

A new online petition asks Congress to change a specific civil-rights statute in hopes of preventing the American Civil Liberties Union from collecting attorney fees from taxpayers of local governments the organization takes to court.

The effort � spearheaded by Craig McCarthy of CourtZero.org, a site dedicated to stemming judicial activism � seeks to change 42 U.S.C., Section 1988, of the United States Code. The statute now allows judges to award attorney fees to plaintiffs in civil-rights cases brought against local governments, thereby putting the taxpayers on the hook and oftentimes funneling public money to the ACLU. McCarthy wants the law changed so cases involving the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment would not apply.

NO Homosexual Agenda?Legal group awarded 1/2 million tax dollars for ridding courthouse of 10 Commandments

[edit on 28-11-2004 by edsinger]

[edit on 28-11-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Get ready for the firestorm. The ACLU is just a very cunning group of lawyers who are hell bent on using the liberties of the Constitution to destroy our culture and civilization. The vicious assault on the Boy Scouts is all the evidence anyone needs for proof, but the infamous Nazi parade through the Jewish neighborhoods of Skokie, Illinois is another good example of their perverse sense of justice.

[edit on 04/11/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Is their no end to their madness? The ACLU are a bunch of deranged psychos who are bent on creating friction in society and have degenerate values
Who made them a social messiah anyway!
They are using the excuse of social justice for furthering their economic and political agendas. Why doesn't anybody sue them for instigating trouble?
Their so-called "liberal" supporters are to blame for their madness.
What right do they have to force any one to watch any thing? Isn't that Coercion and harrasment!

IBM

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
If I was the School, I would threaten the ACLU with lawsuits. I would file criminal charges,chariging them with corruption of minors,coercion,harrassmet,extortion,blackmail,violating my civil liberties by not allowing the school to practice what it wants etc.....I would pay a lawyer to sue them once every day just to annoy them for the heck of it also. Everytime I see the ACLU I will sue them for just disrupting my freedom. If they like being in court so much I will make sure they stay in court forever. I one lawsuit for everyday of the year.

[edit on 28-11-2004 by IBM]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Tolerance training does not sound like a bad thing in of itself. The question becomes, is there anything in this training that ultimately is contrary to the core belief systems of what the parent is instilling in their own children? I do suspect, judging by the source this may be the case.

If that is the case, I cannot see how the schools can force anything and on the children without the parents consent. Unfortunately the courts seem to have gotten in the middle of this and failed by allowing one forced agenda in place of another.

It does appear that the school agreed to this as part of the original settlement and this where they failed. If that is the case then they have given the ACLU legal standing to persue this. Talk about dropping the ball.

Ultimately, I would hope that in the end the parents have some input here as to what is presented to their children. I do wish this were not an issue at all while so much of the education system is losing the children on the basics. I quite frankly don't think they have time for anything other than what they are suppossed to be teaching in the first place.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   
What is wrong with classes on being tolerant and non-violent towards gay people? Surely it would help to reduce the amount of uneducated bigots?

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Rather instead of calmingthings down...the kids would get more pissed off watching something like that and hate the gays etc even more.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I think alot of the people who posted in this thread need some tolerance training themselves

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
wrong sick and depraved. Let them show the film while the students stay home that day.
My child will NOT be available that day. Sorry.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
What is wrong with classes on being tolerant and non-violent towards gay people? Surely it would help to reduce the amount of uneducated bigots?

Maybe we should force gays to take classes on religion and morality? Surely it would reduce the amount of uneducated bigots?

***Not trying to start anything, just trying to make a point***

Grady, I too feel sorry for those boyscouts. The ACLU needs to stop their madness!!!

[edit on 28-11-2004 by LostSailor]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Something similar is happening in Canada with regard to tolerance training.

A group of parents don't want thier children to be included in this activity, but the Toronto District School Board won't allow their dismissal for the duration of the training.

I agree with their decision.
For one, because this isn't about condoning homosexuality; it's about teaching people tolerance. You don't have to accept it, but regardless of what your religious beliefs are, these people do deserve dignity.
Secondly, in the case of Toronto, no sexual acts will be described, the films in question are showcasing children of same-sex parents and how they've been bullied, how they've felt excluded, and how they've been discriminated against.

I suppose it comes down to some people feeling as though their religious rights have been trampled - But the way I see it is no one is being forced to condone homosexuality. The purpose is to simply show that these children, and their same-sex parents are people, too and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, despite differing opinions about lifestyles.

People are free to practice their religion, and belief that it dictates; on the other hand, if you are in a secular public school system religion is supposed to be kept out of it. The parents are free to teach their children as they wish while at home, but while at a public school, with so many varied backgrounds, religions, and lifestyles, what it comes down to is tolerance; in the same way that after Sept 11, teachers worked hard to make sure that Muslim students were not discriminated against.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Something similar is happening in Canada with regard to tolerance training.

I suppose it comes down to some people feeling as though their religious rights have been trampled - But the way I see it is no one is being forced to condone homosexuality. The purpose is to simply show that these children, and their same-sex parents are people, too and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, despite differing opinions about lifestyles.

What you describe is not a problem for most people. However, it remains to be seen what the curriculum in this case entails, and coming from the ACLU, there are many people in the US who cannot assume it will be "benign".

Additionally, tolerance should be taught as an overall thing, not related to one group. Respect for others, the sensitivity of others, not teasing, bullying or judging is a good thing to teach in a broad sense, not exclusive to one group - this shows an agenda. It should be as simple as not picking on the "fat kid" and move on from there to race, religion and everything else.

My raised eyebrows are a result of the specificity of this case.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
What you describe is not a problem for most people. However, it remains to be seen what the curriculum in this case entails, and coming from the ACLU, there are many people in the US who cannot assume it will be "benign".

I can understand that; from what I've seen, the ACLU can go overboard.

Additionally, tolerance should be taught as an overall thing, not related to one group. Respect for others, the sensitivity of others, not teasing, bullying or judging is a good thing to teach in a broad sense, not exclusive to one group - this shows an agenda. It should be as simple as not picking on the "fat kid" and move on from there to race, religion and everything else.

That's true, of course; but it may not be as effective unless the children can see at least insight into what these children are feeling. Sensitivity training may be more effective if the children have insight into how a "fat kid" is feeling, or how someone feels when they've been discriminated against based on their race, or their religion., or their parents sexual orientation.

Do you see an agenda in this instance? If so, what iis it?

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
SERIOUSLY ONLY PLEASE. I would like to know why you wouldnt want your child to see a film about being tolerant.

Is it beacuse you want to buck ACLU for forcing it down your throats?
or is it because you dont believe teaching tolerance is a good thing?
Or is this something deep down you are afraid of?

Also, have you as a child, been taught to hate? Is that why you teaching your child the same thing? Seriously, I would like to know.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
That's true, of course; but it may not be as effective unless the children can see at least insight into what these children are feeling. Sensitivity training may be more effective if the children have insight into how a "fat kid" is feeling, or how someone feels when they've been discriminated against based on their race, or their religion., or their parents sexual orientation.

Do you see an agenda in this instance? If so, what iis it?

I do believe we are in agreement here. The agenda I am seeing is in the case this thread is based on and the fact that the so called "training" focuses so strongly on one particular group.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
O yes, forcing the kids to watch the video will make them completely tolerant of Homosexuals. It won't make them more mad at Homosexuals because they are forced to watch a video about them.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
What's wrong with this and other movies like, race relations, sexual harassment, etc.

From what I gather from this board, it's not being taught at home. Schools need to teach kids how to interact with others. It's not all about math and science. Kids need social skills, they need to understand that just because someone isn't a white christian like them, they should treat that person fairly, and maybe even make a friend.

EDIT: And that's one to grow on.

[edit on 28-11-2004 by curme]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I must say commenting on this issue is exacerbated by lack of real knowledge as to the way the video presents the issue of homosexuality and tolerance. I would however like to comment on the following issues.

1) I find it rather amusing that children are prohibited from learning about spirituality at school, yet schools are compelled to teach tolerance of homosexuality. Should tolerance not be taught by the parents as the primary source of teaching for children? I further believe that a course on religion, preferably comparative religion, would be a wonderful thing in any school and for any child.

"I have always considered the crucial importance of a great harmony between the various different religions. In order to develop this harmony a key factor is to develop a genuine understanding of the values and the principal doctrines of that particular religion. I also believe that since all the various different religions are aimed at fulfilling the spiritual requirements and needs of people and since the mental dispositions of sentient beings are so diverse, the greater the religious diversity the better it is for people as it can serve the wider need of sentient beings. Therefore I have always held this belief and out of this belief I respect the diversity we observe in the multitude of the world's religions.

Underlying the diversity of the world's religious traditions there is a common aim, which is to produce a good human being, a warm-hearted person. A human being who would lead his or her life according to spiritual values in order to enable that individual to lead their life in a happy, satisfied and contented manner. This I see as the underlying, common aim of all the various world religions. So those who have come here out of interest to learn something of Buddhist ideas and practices, I welcome you and am very happy to see you here."

Dalai Lama

2) Teenagers already have a problem in dealing with their sexuality and sexual identity, and in presenting a biaised and idealistic view of a homosexual lifestyle we are confusing them more rather than assisting. In the real world its a tough choice to make and their are definite drawbacks to choosing homosexuality as a life choice. We need to portray life as it is not as it would be in a Utopian society.

3) With the sexual revolution taking place in the early teens in the United States I truly believe that it is more important to focus on retarding sexual progress rather than promoting it as a normal sexual development . I truly don't believe that 9/10/11/12 year olds should be concerned about sexuality and being sexy. As for 13 year olds and older this is an area that parents should be dealing with? Its time that the state give back parental rights to the parents.

[edit on 28-11-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is so enteirely stupid its not even funny. I mean, I'm being serious it is'nt funny. How can they give the power of lawsuits to Nazi's like the ACLU. It's horrible what they are trying to do, make us watch a video on gays in the classroom. Watching one video and telling us its ok be to gay isnt going to help anyone. This should have to be passed as a law for any school to take it serious. If this law is passed and the suit won, I don't know what I'd do. Its crazy that they assume we want, let alone need, to learn about homosexuality. If we want to, then maybe yes the movie can be optional, but dont force kids into it. Just like religion teaching in school, Darwin, Nostradaumus, and Sex Ed, even tho I think sex ed should be a requirement. There would be alot less rapes and violent sex crimes. Go steelers

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This thread is misleading, the video on "tolerance" is not enforcing "children" to become gay, we have enough hate crimes and we need to stop and that is the end of it. Edsinger I guess you go the reaction you wanted you want to get an agenda on gay bashing and you got your hart desires.

Shame on you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join