It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars One Habitats Revealed - Beginning Simulation Mission on Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Not quite the 'tiny tin can' misconception that a lot of people have had of them...

With a projected settlement date of 2025, the Mars One project has received over 200,000 applications for the one way trip to the Red Planet. But creating a living, sustainable community on the distant planet for the select inhabitants will require not only unique technological and engineering solutions, but also novel architectural systems. Bryan Versteeg is a conceptual designer who’s been working with the Mars One team in anticipation of the planet’s eventual colonization.

www.gizmag.com...

Also received this by email a moment ago:

Hi Mars One supporter,

Mars One has recently launched a simulation project to replicate the future Mars human outpost here on Earth. The main purpose of an early version outpost is for potential crew members to gain early experience in the actual environment which will become their home on Mars.

Bas Lansdorp, co-founder: “We are very eager to get started constructing actual hardware for our mission that is important for training future Mars One crews and preparing them for their life on Mars. We are going from theory to practice.”

Newly added team member Kristian von Bengtson will be leading the outpost project from Denmark. He will also be leading the search for potential construction companies and major sponsors who would like the be a part of this outpost project.

Vegetables on Mars?
Plant ecologist Wieger Wamelink from Wageningen University (NL) tested the growth of 14 plants on artificial Mars soil. His colleague and Mars One adviser Leo Marcelis, is looking into cultivation systems that should make growing vegetables on Mars possible: "As it is impossible to take everything from Earth, we will need to produce food if we want to go into space. This requires knowledge on cultivation systems that function well in Mars conditions." Read more here.

edit on 24-4-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I remember a topic with that suit not related at all to mars one, makes me wonder if they are picking thigs over the net and claiming their own.

Was not supouse to be covert in dirt to protect from radiation too?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
I remember a topic with that suit not related at all to mars one, makes me wonder if they are picking thigs over the net and claiming their own.

No, I included that from an earlier thread. Its one of many suit designs they are considering though.

Was not supouse to be covert in dirt to protect from radiation too?

Yes, dirt or water circulating inside the roofs. Either one provides radiation protection.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
So cool. I remember just about a year ago they were only at 100k applicants.

This is so amazing. I have been a huge follower of this project.

Lets kick the tires and light the fires already.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Isn't it strange, all this talk about making Mars a residence and absolutely nothing in the works to get us there...supposedly. On the more immediate and practical side, shouldn't they be talking about what was going to happen to the aging ISS?

Oh, that's right, it is scheduled for de-commissioning in the near future. But why...?

Something just doesn't seem right with some of these plans we are told about.
You suppose that we aren't quite told the truth about space capabilities? I mean, we have been promised to go back to the Moon too. But how? What rocket, what preparations are being made? Harvest H3, yes, but how? There is talk about mining asteroids, again, where are the freighter ships that will do those jobs of hauling people, tons and tons of material and supplies to this far-flung places when rockets are so terribly expensive and inefficient?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Isn't it strange, all this talk about making Mars a residence and absolutely nothing in the works to get us there...supposedly. On the more immediate and practical side, shouldn't they be talking about what was going to happen to the aging ISS?

Oh, that's right, it is scheduled for de-commissioning in the near future. But why...?

You suppose that we aren't quite told the truth about space capabilities? I mean, we have been promised to go back to the Moon too. But how? What rocket, what preparations are being made? Harvest H3, yes, but how? There is talk about mining asteroids, again, where are the freighter ships that will do those jobs of hauling people, tons and tons of material and supplies to this far-flung places when rockets are so terribly expensive and inefficient?

The off world pilots who fly them could answer your questions.
The US retired its Shuttles because they have better craft.
You dont retire you BMW unless you already have a Ferrari!!!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

RP2SticksOfDynamite

I agree. I'm of the opinion that the shuttle was decommissioned with a prospect in the works (Breakthrough Propulsion Physics). I've found a HUGE amount of circumstantial coincidences (crackpot level) supporting this idea. I might start a thread about it once I get it all organized.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Isn't it strange, all this talk about making Mars a residence and absolutely nothing in the works to get us there...supposedly.

Sure there is. You might not have been aware of it though. They have partnered with Space-X and Lockheed-Martin.

On the more immediate and practical side, shouldn't they be talking about what was going to happen to the aging ISS?

Because stuff ages and has to be replaced or it becomes unsafe. Thats why all the Russian space stations from Salyut 1 through Mir aren't still flying.

BTW: China is planning to build the ISS replacement and vow it will be international in nature.

The ISS will still be flying in 2024 so it is still sometime away.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
[

You do if it has a habit of blowing up randomly at any knock or bump and you don't have the funds to fix it.
edit on 24-4-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The off world pilots who fly them could answer your questions.
The US retired its Shuttles because they have better craft.

Right the "Secret Space Program".........

I suppose they dock with the ISS and not one amateur astronomer has ever seen them....riiiiiigggght.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I love that Canadian Flag in the first picture. I cant wait till the actual mission is launched.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd

I love that Canadian Flag in the first picture. I cant wait till the actual mission is launched.

What a better nation to put a flag on the red planet but one whose main symbol is a big red maple leaf

That's said in jest by the way.

The Mars One crews will represent humanity rather than any one nation.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

And I will guarantee they will be sponsored by Coca Cola.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

And I will guarantee they will be sponsored by Coca Cola.

I'd like to buy that world a Coke, and keep it company

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Not quite the 'tiny tin can' misconception that a lot of people have had of them...

Its not a misconception, the project is being funded by a TV revenue business model. It will be as "tin can like" as the production budget permits.

High viewership with corresponding ad revenue, bigger space built over time to live in

Moderate but acceptable viewership, small original-build tin can to live in

Low viewership and cancelled show, no reliable ongoing resupply, followed by slow death

This is simple, US style, capitalism 101

Here is the old thread for everyone's reference:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 24-4-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: boohoo

Its not a misconception, the project is being funded by a TV revenue business model. It will be as "tin can like" as the production budget permits.

High viewership with corresponding ad revenue, bigger space built over time to live in

Moderate but acceptable viewership, small original-build tin can to live in

Low viewership and cancelled show, no reliable ongoing resupply, followed by slow death

This is simple, US style, capitalism 101

Here is the old thread for everyone's reference:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While the reality TV aspect is one which garners a lot of attention, there are other sources of revenue or resources for the project.

As was mentioned, sponsorship for the first human mission to Mars is expected to be huge. Couple that with companies like Lockheed donating equipment and I think the colony would remain sustainable whether or not the TV show is successful.

The TV show is just the public outreach fundraising arm of this. Make no mistake, Mars One if it is successful will not be solely dependant upon ad revenue from the show.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

While the reality TV aspect is one which garners a lot of attention, there are other sources of revenue or resources for the project.

As was mentioned, sponsorship for the first human mission to Mars is expected to be huge. Couple that with companies like Lockheed donating equipment and I think the colony would remain sustainable whether or not the TV show is successful.

The TV show is just the public outreach fundraising arm of this. Make no mistake, Mars One if it is successful will not be solely dependant upon ad revenue from the show.

Then how are all the "investors" and "venture capitalists" going to get their money back? Does 4 humans going to Mars somehow generate revenue to pay back venture capital loans without a Reality TV deal? If so, I'd sure like to hear how? Lockheed is a completely different matter because they can dump their expenses on the project into R&D tax deductions and possible future sales of the "tested hardware" to international clients (i.e. marketing and BD costs)

Nobody with MONEY is going to send 4 people to Mars without any possibility of getting their money back.

BTW, I'm not counting "crowd funding" sources. Those folks can kiss their money goodbye, as they may as well have lit it on fire instead, Ala, Oculus Rift.

His interview responses says it all, as far as I am concerned:

venturebeat.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: boohoo

Then how are all the "investors" and "venture capitalists" going to get their money back?

Official Ink Pen of Mars One

Official Coffee of Mars One

Official Condom of Mars One....

You get the picture.

Does 4 humans going to Mars somehow generate revenue to pay back venture capital loans without a Reality TV deal?

Absolutely. And it won't just be 4 people going to Mars. They'd just be the first 4. They'd be joined by another 4 every few years.

The idea is that a company would be tying their product, goods, services to not just a show or a space mission but a new branch of humanity on another world.

How valuable is that? Answer: very.

Look at sponsorship in sports for example. Interest in Mars One is likely to be greater than the World Cup in Brazil this summer and the World Cup generates HUGE amounts of money every four years, as do the Summer and Winter Olympics.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Official Ink Pen of Mars One

Official Coffee of Mars One

Official Condom of Mars One....

You get the picture.

Absolutely. And it won't just be 4 people going to Mars. They'd just be the first 4. They'd be joined by another 4 every few years.

The idea is that a company would be tying their product, goods, services to not just a show or a space mission but a new branch of humanity on another world.

How valuable is that? Answer: very.

Look at sponsorship in sports for example. Interest in Mars One is likely to be greater than the World Cup in Brazil this summer and the World Cup generates HUGE amounts of money every four years, as do the Summer and Winter Olympics.

You don't seem to understand. After the initial hype is done it will be OVER for the 4 people who went there. Public interest will dwindle, money will dry up and "suits" will be increasingly upset day-to-day that they are spending money to keep 4 people alive on Mars with no "profits" coming in. They will pull they plug on them anytime they see fit. How many people working in 3rd world factories for the same kind of "suits in a board room", just died making t-shirts & socks in the last hour or so? I'd speculate Dozens at least. Why are you so confident that four people, 140 million miles away, will fare any better when "profits" are on the line?

This also doesn't include the possibility re-sparking public interest by letting the "first mars colonists" die!

These colonists don't actually need to be ALIVE past landing and settling in for a few months to sell Mars One t-shirts or the broadcasting of archival footage. They can tease footage out for years over "multiple season" if they want to.

For example the Munsters had 38 episodes in its first season, season one of the Waking Dead in contrast had 8! Survivor had 13 episodes in its first season. If we go by the survivor model they could have 28 seasons and 257+ episodes on the air making money while corpses sit on Mars, mummifying.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

[

You do if it has a habit of blowing up randomly at any knock or bump and you don't have the funds to fix it.

That would be because of missing trillions I presume. Wonder where that went. Wasnt goverment staff expense claims thats for sure.
Do you actually believe that the US would give up its functional ready to go space fairing capability without a better tried and tested replacement in the hanger (Ferrari)! if a BMW is the best you have got you dont retire it until you have a better option!! Its not about money!!
edit on 24-4-2014 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join