It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second Amendment Victory: Georgia Governor Signs Historic Gun Rights Bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The State of Georgia (in the U.S.) has passed and signed a new law that seems to be more lenient with carrying guns.

The new law will allow guns to be "carried" in a widely expanded area.

See more in the article.

Georgia Governor Nathan Deal signed into law today what supporters call a historic victory for the Second Amendment.

The new law, called the “Safe Carry Protection Act”, vastly expands where guns will be allowed in the state.

As of July 1st, licensed gun owners in Georgia and visitors from 28 other states will be allowed to bring a gun into a bar without restrictions and carry a firearm into some government buildings. Under the law, school districts will be able to decide whether they want some employees to carry a firearm, and religious leaders can decide whether to allow licensed gun owners to carry guns into their church, synagogue or mosque.

Second Amendment Victory: Georgia Governor Signs Historic Gun Rights Bill

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

My state allows the same, open carry also.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Congrats to Georgia...

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Early S&F (mostly for the state of Georgia!!)

The fewer gun-free zones ... the better!! Nuff said.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I don't like the term "licensed gun owner" they just say it like it is and call the "concealed carry permit holders"

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Today...I'm proud of my home state of Georgia.

While we eat our french fries with salt and wash them down with a 32oz Mnt. Dew. Bloomberg can cry in his 6oz diet coke and baked fries.

Nathan Deal made the right deal...using *his* magic pen....

Another law the criminal element hates... They'll start migrating to gun free zones.

Des

edit on 23-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Famouszor

Good news but, it is a shame that we have to pass laws to have our second amendment rights.

I advocate concealed carry over open carry (though open carry is implied) as it produces a greater level of deterrence.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

originally posted by: Famouszor

Good news but, it is a shame that we have to pass laws to have our second amendment rights.

I advocate concealed carry over open carry (though open carry is implied) as it produces a greater level of deterrence.

Normally I would agree on this point, but I think passing a law that defines it sends a message to the federal government about the intentions of the people of that state. in this manner it cannot be argued the people did not want this or that. They new exactly what they were getting up front.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I was just about to post this lol. As a Georgian this hits home with me. Here is a bit from the governor in regards to how we feel here in Georgia.

S&F!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Guns in bars what could go wrong. Whatever happened to the good old days of the Wild West when guns had to be left at the door? I have plenty of guns, I have never felt the need to carry in a bar or church. If I had somebody would have been shot instead punched. Oh the good old days when you could get in a bar fight, shake hands and go back to drinking. Now we would just shoot each other. I guess people just live in fear now.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Guns in bars what could go wrong. Whatever happened to the good old days of the Wild West when guns had to be left at the door? I have plenty of guns, I have never felt the need to carry in a bar or church. If I had somebody would have been shot instead punched. Oh the good old days when you could get in a bar fight, shake hands and go back to drinking. Now we would just shoot each other. I guess people just live in fear now.

In the Bill, that was signed by Deal. The Bars get to make the choice if patrons can carry or not. It's not a free for all like you imply.

The bill, which easily navigated the state Legislature -- by a 112-58 vote in the House and a 37-18 tally in the Senate -- also earned the support of Democratic state Sen. Jason Carter, the grandson of ex-President Jimmy Carter and a 2014 gubernatorial candidate.

Calling it "a great day to reaffirm our liberties," Deal said the law allows residents to protect their families and expands the list of places where they can legally carry firearms, while allowing certain property owners, namely churches and bars, to make judgments on whether they want worshippers and patrons carrying guns.

www.cnn.com...

Des

edit on 23-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

As I've stated in the original thread regarding the vote on this bill...

Here is an example of how this being implemented could actually SAVE lives...

A story reported on various outlets not just "faux news"

How gun control helped a stalker kill my husband

In April 2009, my husband was shot six times in front of me in the middle of a busy restaurant by a man who was stalking me. I have a permit to carry a handgun but because of the law at that time in my home state of Tennessee, I had to leave the gun that I normally carried for self defense, locked in my car that night. My husband Ben and I ran our mobile karaoke business out of a restaurant that served alcohol and my gun was forbidden there. I obeyed the law but my stalker, who was carrying a gun illegally, ignored it. I noticed my stalker (a former karaoke customer) in the crowd that night and I knew something was not right. This was a man that I had blocked from my social network account due to inappropriate messages he had sent me. He had never threatened me or my husband but he was definitely creepy. My husband Ben had asked him to leave me alone before he showed up at this venue where I had never seen him before. I realized at that point I was being stalked. I asked the management at the restaurant to remove him.When they approached him and asked him to leave, he pulled out a .45 semi-auto and shot Ben. He then stood over him and continued to fire five more rounds into my husband.

Response with links found HERE

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

I'm not sure about all CCW states but there are already rules set in place for the concealed carry. For example, Utah allows concealed carry in bars already, but you can not be drinking or intoxicated while carrying. The penalties are fairly severe if caught.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shaker

I'm not sure about all CCW states but there are already rules set in place for the concealed carry. For example, Utah allows concealed carry in bars already, but you can not be drinking or intoxicated while carrying. The penalties are fairly severe if caught.

Same in Ga

Specifically, the bill stipulates that while a CWP holder may bring his/her concealed firearm into a restaurant or bar, he/she is prohibited from imbibing while there. In short, permit holders will have to make a decision before heading out: it’s either the gun or the booze. Moreover, establishments that serve alcohol are given the choice of whether they want to allow patrons to carry on their premises in the first place. They can ban concealed carry by simply posting signs that say “No guns allowed.”

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I happen to endorse this right. Many lives could be spared if there are more people out there that are armed. a reply to: xuenchen

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
As always do your due diligence when it comes to traveling to other states and how their laws affect your CCW -

CCW Reciprocity Info

There is a federal law called peaceable travels that deals with the transport of a firearm through a state you are not a resident of.

Always always always check the laws of the state you are visiting as well as traveling through for the most current / up to date information.

For those travelling on agency credentials keep in mind that you are subject to the same restrictions as a states CCW holder and not their law enforcement.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

So, just because you have never "felt the need" then other people should be denied the right to carry according to your logic? Just because you "have guns" doesn't mean anything in my book. There are plenty of people who have guns that are still against expanding gun rights. Glad the world doesn't revolve around your feeling because I am certain we would all be much worse off.

ETA: I was happy to hear about this expansion of carry rights for the residents of Georgia. I see no reason why any of these expansions should cause issue for law abiding citizens.

edit on 4/23/2014 by SpaDe_ because: ....

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Good stuff... It's nice to see some common sense in government... although I don't think he went far enough.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

not how this helps. people already pull guns in bars. i dont think you've been in any kind of popular bar post 1998 but if so you would already know the problems. guns guns guns guns guns in the hands of a$$ holes. pull them out in the blink of an eye. I've worked security at nightclubs before and it happens so often i honestly couldn't tell you how many times. knives too.

hopefully with rules like this when said a$$ hole pulls out his weapon so he can engage in a$$ hole like behavior some good guy pulls out his and saves the day. DUH DUH duh DUHhhHH!

ya chances are some a$$ will abuse this somehow but he will more then likely get caught or be struck down by some other good guy. thats how this works. open the flood gates. put a .45 in everyones hand who has judgment enough on when to use one. things will straighten up right quick. i bet the economy would even see an upswing.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Do the world a favor and legalize machine guns and grenades. Natural selection will work out the rest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join