It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to the aircraft and the vehicles in Chernobyl?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
So, I work long shifts and I got to thinking about this site I had visited as a kid. www.kidofspeed.com where this female rides her bike in to ‎Pripyat and the Chernobyl plant. She takes pictures and it is a wonderful site you should go check it out if you have the time. Well I got to thinking I wonder what’s still there last time I looked on google earth I remember seeing the abandoned town kind of over grown with vegetation. I remember seeing lots and lots of aircraft and vehicles that were used in the clean up just sitting and rusting. And the then Secret over the horizon radar station. All very cool well where did it all go? I know they had plans to demo the radar station. However, the aircraft and vehicles are all gone where did they go?

If you look on google earth they are all gone were they moved and sold for scrap? Is there eradiated metal out in the market?

edit on 20-4-2014 by ashnomadonte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Well here is one article about the disposal of 25 tons of the scrap...

Chernobyl scrap

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: youdidntseeme

Indeed however, the artical states that it was a sting operation

Six people were detained, including the truck driver and owner, a man who was accompanying the truck in another car, two police officers that were on duty at the time, and two police battalion commanders.[1] According to the SBU spokesperson, further investigation uncovered the involvement of the Deputy Chief of the SBU Kiev office, who allegedly organized a sting operation to “test” the police guarding the exclusion site. Reportedly, he telephoned the exclusion zone division commander, requesting that the truck be permitted to exit without inspection.[1]

edit on 20-4-2014 by ashnomadonte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ashnomadonte
Its still there rusting away a far as I know, see the pic:
4hv.org...

Yes those helicopters are really that big! I think only 2 are still in service with Russian forces??? Someone here will know better...

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Radioactive equipment graveyard:

The Chernobyl Disaster: 25 Years Ago

I read stories about looters taking out contaminated stuff from the abandoned town of Pripyat and re-selling it.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ionwind
The Chernobyl Disaster: 25 Years Ago

Wow, some amazing photos in there.
Thanks for posting that link .

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Those photos are unbelievable.
Thanks for the post.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
And we are at 5 minutes until midnight everyone. If the clock strikes 12 - nuclear annihilation is ensured.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: thejudge01
Those photos are unbelievable.
Thanks for the post.

Both sad, amazing and sad to look at.
Imagine if you're told you have twenty minutes to evacuate your home. Take what you need as you'll never be coming back. Scary.
The untold damage to human life and the environment.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'd never heard of the Kidd of Speed website. Some of those photos are amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Take the Kid of Speed girl with a grain of salt. If I recall correctly her story wasn't exactly true. She may have used some artistic license to embellish. I found her work digging up old battlefields more interesting.

top topics

join