It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hobby Lobby’s Steve Green launches a New Project: Public School Bible Curriculum

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
He wouldn`t be using The lord name in vain, as an idol of worship for his own gain. I mean, Jesus made # hit the fan that way. it why he died.

I mean, that what christian love to brag about.

The Jews(no offense),(which christian love to brag about being higher divinity) did the same thing. And Jesus grabbed a whip, like they his bitches.

After all, that how he died...Christians keep on bragging about his and trying to be him...

Well, lets put to a test then.

WHO WANTS TO BE JESUS NOW!
edit on 16-4-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

Kind of off topic, but why do they even call it "the Three R's"?

Reading: Ok, makes sense. It starts with an R.

Writing: Hmmmm. I can POSSIBLY see this, but it kind of perpetuates ignorance by not emphasizing that the word actually starts with a W and is just silent. Though this is silly since writing involves knowing how to spell.

Arithmetic: This one has always baffled me the most since the R in this word doesn't sound like a normal R since it is augmented by the A in front of it making the AR sound.

You'd think that a catchy cliche designed to help kids just starting school wouldn't be mired in bad grammar. "Hey kids, let's help build the base of your education by using a confusing expression that promotes bad grammar!"

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Kind of off topic, but why do they even call it "the Three R's"?

Readin', Ritin', Rithmatic.
The way unschooled people would spell them...and there were plenty of unschooled people who became parents who never got past the 8th grade in those days. Add in vernacular/dialect, and you have "the Three Rs".

Yeah, I cringe every time I hear someone use poor grammar. I don't blame them so much as their teachers, though.
As a kid, proper grammar was drilled into me and my brothers. Spelling, also.

When an otherwise articulate person says "I seen" (or worse, writes "I scene") or "if we'd went".... or "it was wrote down" it makes me uncomfortable. But that's just my pedantry. Pedantics: insistence on using proper grammar and words.

Likewise, when an otherwise articulate person is pushing for teaching Biblical stories as "True History"...it makes me more than uncomfortable. It makes me cringe and worry.
My obsession with language is part of the reason I reject the Bible. No matter how many people insist that any English version of the Bible is "all true and inerrant and the perfect word of God", I think about language, translation, interpretation, and the chaos and divisiveness of misunderstanding that stems from those very seemingly innocuous mistakes.

edit on 4/16/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

BESIDES the fact that 'revealed religion' makes no sense whatsoever to me.

edit on 4/16/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

No matter how many people insist that any English version of the Bible is "all true and inerrant and the perfect word of God", I think about language, translation, interpretation, and the chaos and divisiveness of misunderstanding that stems from those very seemingly innocuous mistakes.

I wonder how many translation issue the course will cover? It seems to be a pretty intensive course, and this version is meant to be the 101 version, with 201 right behind and in the works!

He describes the program as “robustly unique.” It divides its topic into three areas: the Bible’s narrative; the history of its composition and reception; and its impact on human civilization. The spine of the first-year program (the only text completed so far) is a 400-plus-page book, currently spiral-bound, featuring 108 chapters divided into five-day-a-week lessons.

But to be sure, this course is meant to razzle dazzle!

The book links to a dizzying array of state-of-the-art digital enhancements (Pattengale counts 550), including one where illustrations “come alive” as video on the screen of a smartphone; original lectures by Green Institute scholars; clips from the Mark Burnett/Roma Downey miniseries “The Bible”; and deep digital access to the Green’s biblical collection.

Cartoons, CGI? One can only imagine the magic Green will employ! I just hope its better that Bible Man! LOL

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Seriously, I know how you feel. On these very forums every time I read someone misuse "there", "their", or "they're" or "you're" and "your" I cringe. I tend to read them as written too. For instance, the contractions, I pull apart. If you write, "The people went over they're," I'll read it as "The people went over they are." When you do things like that, it makes it look ridiculous. I have similar ways of reading those words when they aren't contractions (like their I always think possessive when I see it and a destination isn't possessive). If you notice, many of my posts end up being edited because after I post, I'll read what I typed, realized I made some simple grammar errors (like put commas into places that need periods or something) and go back and edit them. Funnily enough, posting on these forums improved my grammar and typing IMMENSELY.
edit on 16-4-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
More money for education thats a start, i am not againts religion as a course as long as it touches most religions, myths, ethos.

My daughters are starting a new school in sept, when we visited they showed us what the kids learn, when the teachers talked about religion class i was a bit snake bitten, but when they explained that they use stories and myth from eastern religions, norse, greek,egytian,christians,judaism, islam,etc to teach children value, i was very impressed.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

It's wild, isn't it?
To see all the mistakes!, although not intended by their original writers, they're there. Really points out how things can be misinterpreted.

It's hard to not bring it up when "The Bible" comes up as evidence of some kind.
*fistbump*

Yeah, the whole 'revealed religion' thing seems to, well, leak. I mean no disrespect to any member or reader. I simply can't take any "version" of a book that has no original source material (against which to check its translation) as 'true.'

A weakness, I guess.
Language changes everything.

LOL! ( I would like to make some toast... )
edit on 4/16/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: Capital R, not small r.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

As a kid, proper grammar was drilled into me and my brothers. Spelling, also.

Ack! I screwed it up. Proper grammar would be: "As kids, proper grammar was drilled into my brothers and me."
Or...."As a kid, proper grammar was drilled into me (and also my brothers)."

See what I did there?
Yeah.

Bible Translations.
Meh

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dukeofjive696969

My daughters are starting a new school in sept, when we visited they showed us what the kids learn, when the teachers talked about religion class i was a bit snake bitten, but when they explained that they use stories and myth from eastern religions, norse, greek,egytian,christians,judaism, islam,etc to teach children value, i was very impressed.

So, you're telling me there's a chance? Yeahhhh!!! (Jim Carrey).

Thanks for that good news!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Exactly. It is especially hard to take something seriously that is open for whatever interpretation the reader feels like applying. When you can just pick and choose what is and isn't metaphor, you can't take any of it seriously as a valid source unless the claim is substantiated by an outside source. Also, these books were written in several different languages and the translations for words don't always line up nicely so things are lost.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Go Sooners! I like Mr.Green, great guy, and awesome company. I wish they would get rid of M.failing(She voted for TARP) Okies should ditch Failing , and go with Green for GOV.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Really can't see taxpayer dollars funding religion as anything other than a stupid idea, especially considering the fact that this course is claiming that a religion is true, which goes against critical thinking, which I imagine schools (save for the one Steve Green and his supporters went to as children) are trying to teach. If not, then I would recommend they do so for this very reason.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: technical difficulties

One would assume that critical thinking skill would be something that the Board of Education in any community would have an interest in supporting, but you'd be wrong!

Texas GOP rejects ‘critical thinking’ skills. Really.

In the you-can’t-make-up-this-stuff department, here’s what the Republican Party of Texas wrote into its 2012 platform as part of the section on education:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
www.washingtonpost.com...

Yes, you read that right. The party opposes the teaching of “higher order thinking skills” because it believes the purpose is to challenge a student’s “fixed beliefs” and undermine “parental authority.”

What if everyone suddenly started using their brains and employed logic and critical thinking! Chaos! LOL

edit on 17-4-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Oh no, how alarming. Let's actually teach children morality and religion, the very foundations of Western civilization. How could we? We should just continue to promote sexual immorality, communism and drug use as our overlords have commanded.

Let's see, what did the Chinese conclude was the secret of America's success? Christianity.

What was the literacy rate in Puritan New England, those Bible freaks? Oh yeah 98%. Whats the literacy rate in your government controlled education camps? Most of those guys could read Greek and Latin as well and knew the classics. They could out think most of the so called educated of this era.

By the way how do those dreadful, christian educated homeschoolers compare to your elite atheist government graduates? Oh yeah they destroy them in every academic category.

So go ahead and mouth off your ignorance about the Bible. The facts show you all wrong. This is a great idea. I'll be putting some money into a similar effort shortly.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
If this is a class that is purely optional, and the student would have to agree to take it, it wouldn't be that bad. If it were mandatory, then I would have to partake in an old fashioned face-palm.

There are much more important things kids should be learning than something that is based only on faith and belief. The whole point of school is to LEARN right? Religion isn't something that should be taught nor learned within a school/educational facility. Unless it had to do with social studies and history in an unbiased fashion. Why? Because there are hundreds of different kinds of people that will tell you different answers to what/who god is. There is no right answer and probably never will be. Thus making it one big waste of time. And that time could be spend preparing them for the real world and going after a steady job/career.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
ok, everyone done bashing?

all i can say is, HA! HA! (nelson)

hey, feed your kids common core.

the US is not even in the running for education in the world.

yeah, religion is the problem. get rid of that and your kids will be mini hawking's.

sure.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I wonder if the curriculum will be teaching the little girls to be obedient to their husbands so that the anti-birth control crowd can later on tell them that they should refuse to have sex with their husbands!
edit on 19-4-2014 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
Hobby Lobby's Steve Green is at it again! Oklahoma's Mustang Board of Education has agreed to promote one of the most immoral and dangerous books the world has ever seen as a basis of historical truth, morality and rules to live by.

To make reference to the Holy Bible as "one of the most dangerous books the world has ever seen as a basis of historical truth, morality and rules to live by" is a statement that is Grossly Offensive to the majority of Americans, as well as hundreds of millions of Christians and Jews alike.

You sir or madam, have zero moral authority, zero moral standing, and zero credibility whatsoever. The stupidity of such a statement is astounding...,to say the least.

There is but only one entity, to include any of his followers or those who are influenced by his lies and deceptions, that is offended by that which is written in the Holy Bible. he is known by his name, which is Satan.

On this Easter weekend, most Americans and the entire world are celebrating the victory and the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, while the Jewish people also celebrate their Holy Days. May Almighty God have mercy on your soul.
edit on 19-4-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SevenThunders

Oh no, how alarming. Let's actually teach children morality and religion

Teaching any religion to be true in public school is a violation of separation of church and state.

Also, I take issue with your assertion that the Bible teaches morality. I don't think it does.

The only two moral teachings that one can take away from the Bible aren't even unique to the Bible and were the same teachings other religions also espouse.

Thou Shall Not Kill is part of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, which Moses, the author of the 10 Commandments was well schooled in already, as he was on the run for murdering an Egyptian guard.

"Do Unto Others" was being taught by Buddha in 500 BC.

The biblical God is a maniacal, blood thirsty, anti-life, pro abortion schitzo terrorist!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: rickynews

You sir or madam, have zero moral authority

And what moral authority does the bible have? What unique morality does the Bible teach, that it should be taught in public schools?

What do you have to say about the scripture cited in the OP? I've got plenty more. Is stoning your teenager for mouthing off moral? Is stoning adulterers moral? Is allowing an innocent person to take the rap for your mistakes moral?

edit on 19-4-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join