It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hobby Lobby’s Steve Green launches a New Project: Public School Bible Curriculum

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Meh. Don't worry about rickynews's judgment of you, wind.

I was told (by someone, whom it was I don't recall) I was disgusting for saying the Bible was worse than worthless, that it was a tool of oppression and a pack of myths and forged 'testimonials' intended to keep people AFRAID, ASHAMED, and under control.

Oh well.
Happy Spring! (OSTara). (although it was actually the spring equinox - March 20)....
But since tomorrow is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox - it's tomorrow that "Easter" is celebrated. So Many People just refuse to believe that it's a usurped pagan seasonal festival.

edit on 4/19/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Ah, thanks for your support.

the Bible was worse than worthless, that it was a tool of oppression and a pack of myths and forged 'testimonials' intended to keep people AFRAID, ASHAMED, and under control.

Yep. Having been recently exposed to a (previously unknown to me) holocaust of indigenous people in Canada, that happened during my childhood, and knowing full well that the same thing went on in the USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Pacific Islands, India, actually everywhere Catholicism and Christianity has laid down roots, genocide has followed, I have had to really tempered my disgust for fundamentalism and "Holier that Thou" Bible thumpers and apologists.

HAPPY SPRING BACK

edit on 19-4-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Separation of church and state is a biggie for me. Hard to wrap my head around this one.

An elective class offering the study of a variety of religions with emphasis on cultural traditions/societal contributions might be a more neutral solution but this is basically a religion class specific to Christianity.

I don't mind kids learning about religions/cultures but the focus here is solely on the religious dogma of one religion. I have a problem with that. Sounds to me like the teacher would be sermonizing with very little room for debate. If the subject matter is "the bible is true" that requires faith, it's worship.

Despite this man's contribution the school itself is built/furnished/maintained/salaries paid using my property taxes. This includes janitors, kitchen/office staff the whole enchilada. If this is what Christian students want they need to do it in a building not supported by my tax dollars or go to church.

Public schools were never meant to be churches. Definition of church: a building used for public Christian worship.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
We used to have an hour every week where the kids would be able to go to one of several churches that were close by the school for religious teachings. This was probably in the mid 60's! I imagine that this option was given at the other schools in the area or weather or not the kids were transported to the church on the taxpayer's dime or weather or not there was some that were held within the school in those schools that did not have the churches closeby!

As long as it isn't mandatory I don't feel that there is any major problem with it that would warrant throwing a fit over it..

edit on 19-4-2014 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
We used to have an hour every week where the kids would be able to go to one of several churches that were close by the school for religious teachings. This was probably in the mid 60's! I imagine that this option was given at the other schools in the area or weather or not the kids were transported to the church on the taxpayer's dime or weather or not there was some that were held within the school in those schools that did not have the churches closeby!

As long as it isn't mandatory I don't feel that there is any major problem with it that would warrant throwing a fit over it..

So proving free birth control and abortions at the tax payers expense is ok, but its not ok to teach them about the Holy Bible ?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: rickynews

So proving free birth control and abortions at the tax payers expense is ok, but its not ok to teach them about the Holy Bible?

Teaching the Bible as literature or in a cultural, social studies context is fine, but teaching it as history or as truth in a public school setting is promoting specific religion(s), which the government may not do.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SevenThunders
Oh no, how alarming. Let's actually teach children morality and religion, the very foundations of Western civilization. How could we? We should just continue to promote sexual immorality, communism and drug use as our overlords have commanded.

Let's see, what did the Chinese conclude was the secret of America's success? Christianity.

What was the literacy rate in Puritan New England, those Bible freaks? Oh yeah 98%. Whats the literacy rate in your government controlled education camps? Most of those guys could read Greek and Latin as well and knew the classics. They could out think most of the so called educated of this era.

By the way how do those dreadful, christian educated homeschoolers compare to your elite atheist government graduates? Oh yeah they destroy them in every academic category.

So go ahead and mouth off your ignorance about the Bible. The facts show you all wrong. This is a great idea. I'll be putting some money into a similar effort shortly.
Great, another religious fundamentalist failing to understand that correlation doesn't equal causation (and with statistics backed up by no source whatsoever). And you started off your post with a false dilemma.

You're not exactly making a good case for Taxpayer-Funded Christianity, though I imagine nobody could in the first place because it's a really stupid idea.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: rickynews

maybe you should go back and reread what I posted??
Unless of course you are like the one creating this curriculum and while you are content to accept is as an optional course for now your intention is to have it become mandatory!!
Which wouldn't be a good idea since then the islamic kids could start whining and you would have to accept that your kids have to take a mandatory course on how to be a suicide bomber!!!

I believe he is baptist isn't he??
If so well the idea that women being obedient to their husbands is part of their doctrine!
So Hobby Lobby would be going against that doctrine if they told a married women that if she didn't want babies she should refuse her husband's sexual desires wouldn't they???

How much would you be willing to wager that the little girls will be taught to be obedient in this curriculum???
Just so later on in life people like you can go and tell them to disobey God in this regard!

edit on 20-4-2014 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickynews
So proving free birth control and abortions at the tax payers expense is ok, but its not ok to teach them about the Holy Bible ?

You got it!!!

Would you object if tax money is used to teach Holy Qur'an in schools, and if yes, why?

What is there in Bible to teach, anyway? How to kill disobedient kids or how to punish adultery? Or you mean about history, Noah and other parts where Bible has no supportive evidence for given folk tales?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
it would be nice to see a thread on the Green Collection. He has a facinating collection, which I believe resides in his 400ksqft museum, located in DC. One of the Bibles in the collection is 1780's Congress approved Bible. The Bible helped carve this nation out of the wildrness .(random unknown movie quote)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SmikeS

Put one together and a flag and star will ensue from me! I"m certainly not opposed to studying the effects of the Bible on American culture. I'm just opposed to proselytizing it in public schools.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

A knew poll reveals the alarming scientific ignorance of Americans.

"Science ignorance is pervasive in our society, and these attitudes are reinforced when some of our leaders are openly antagonistic to established facts," said 2013 Nobel Prize in medicine winner Randy Schekman of the University of California, Berkeley.

Confidence in evolution, the Big Bang, the age of the Earth and climate change decline sharply as faith in a supreme being rises, according to the poll. Likewise, those who regularly attend religious services or are evangelical Christians express much greater doubts about scientific concepts they may see as contradictory to their faith.

The dumbing down of America is why we are becoming a minimum wage country, because we are becoming a minimum intelligence society. It's this level of ignorance of science in America, that explains why America is behind every other modern and prosperous democracy in the world academically.
It's these people, Hobby Lobby, Steve Green and their fundy friends that would have scientific fact put to a vote, the same charlatans that brought you the Scopes trial.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: technical difficulties
Great, another religious fundamentalist failing to understand that correlation doesn't equal causation (and with statistics backed up by no source whatsoever). And you started off your post with a false dilemma.

You're not exactly making a good case for Taxpayer-Funded Christianity, though I imagine nobody could in the first place because it's a really stupid idea.

Your correlation and causation quote is non-sequitur, nor have you addressed which point you feel is mere correlation. All of my statements are easily fact checked, but since you require sources I'll provide a couple.

Homeschoolers crush public schoolers:
blog.drwile.com...

Chinese attribute US success to christianity.
au.christiantoday.com...

It is not surprising that so many are brainwashed to be hostile to christianity. In this way the demoralization and destruction of Western civilization can be accomplished; and all of the Christ haters are the elites willing tools.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join