It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix mom facing abuse charges gaining support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Link

PHOENIX (AP) — Like many busy mothers, Shanesha Taylor was trying to do it all.

The 35-year-old Phoenix woman had an important job interview last month at an insurance company across town in Scottsdale. But she couldn't find a babysitter for her 2-year-old son and 6-month old baby.

Trying to get out from under the dark cloud of unemployment and food stamps, Taylor made the decision to leave her children in her Dodge Durango outside the office where she was interviewing with the key still in the ignition. She was arrested after a witness noticed the infant crying hysterically and sweating profusely as temperatures inside the vehicle exceeded 100 degrees.

I most certainly understand the feeling...the proverbial, "caught between a rock and a hard place." But does this situation merit that type of emotional clouding of sound judgement?

The case has attracted considerable attention on the Internet as a fundraising site created by a New Jersey woman for Taylor has amassed nearly $90,000. Taylor's tearful police mugshot, the danger she put her children in, and her dilemma of trying to juggle a lack of child care with her job pursuit all have contributed to the debate.

Amanda Bishop, a 24-year-old New Jersey woman, couldn't get the tear-streaked mugshot image out of her head. Bishop said she was inspired to set up the fundraising page for Taylor because she could relate to growing up in a family that doesn't have a lot of money.

Okay...it is admirable the woman is making an attempt to improve her family situation...

But who is going to hire someone who has an established record of this type of decision?

But prosecutors point out that Taylor's actions put the safety of her children in danger.

According to court documents, Scottsdale firefighters found the windows of the vehicle rolled down only an inch and no running air conditioning to keep the children cool. The baby was described as wearing a short-sleeve shirt over a long-sleeve shirt, as well as a blanket. Taylor arrived back at the car more than an hour after her interview time, the documents said.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

There is no way I could concentrate on an interview thinking of my two children out in the car!

While I do sympathize with her, I can't help but think there must have been a better option.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Existing thread already here.

Join in on our discussion.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

I'm so glad you became a moderator.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

As a parent, albeit a young parent, I have left my child in a car for a moment to grab something in a store; however, those few occasions have always been for 5 minutes or less and with climate control enabled in the car, and typically were only done because my child was asleep and I didn't wish to wake them. However, it's a very thin line to walk and I'm incredibly nervous to do it ever because there is some inherit risk even in a controlled environment of exteranl influences. That is to say, even if you are doing everything to insure your child is safely in the car and won't be afflicted by the climate, there is a risk that someone will break into your car or someone who has no idea how long your kid has been in the car will come by, freek out, and call the cops.

This has never happened to me, but there is likely a reason for this. I never leave my kid for more then 5 minutes, ever. So if/when I've done it. It's been such a brief interval of time that literally, no one noticed.

That being said, some people don't seem to have as stringent of guideline as I have set for myself. Most of the time if I can help it I also park in a place where I can see the vehicle from inside the store. I can count the number of times I've done this total on one hand, but then again, I only have one child and she's quite young.

All that being said, what this lady did, was wrong.
I'm not opposed to briefly leaving a child in a car in appropriate conditions, but an interview is by no means a brief thing. I doubt she went in knowing her interview would only take 5 minutes, no, she probably expected it to take longer and just didn't care or just decided it was worth the risk. The lack of judgement shown by this woman is astounding. The condition she left them in coupled with the weather and the situation should have registered in her head as an issue. Hell, I'd rather have someone I barely know watch my kids, maybe find a cop, don't call one (they wouldn't come for that), find one....somebody, just watch my kids for a moment so I can give them a better life...it doesn't sound that unrealistic to me.

This woman needs her head checked.
edit on 7-4-2014 by GrimReaper86 because: grammer

edit on 7-4-2014 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I do not understand why she is getting so much support. Two kids, under the age of three in a running car while she was being interviewed.

I think she should have to take parenting classes before they are placed in her care again. she put them in danger, car hijaking, baby kidnapping etc.. she clearly does not understand some very basic rules of parenting.

I am a mom too and I can not even handle the thought of losing my children, but I would never purposely place them in harms way either. I am all for supporting people when the state acts like they know whats better than you because of a name, money, religion, politics etc... but this really was her fault.. She knew her choice was wrong, she made it anyway.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
i don't want to excuse her because there are some fishy aspects of the story.

But how hard it is for a single mom in this world.....it really doesn't need to be that way.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join