It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: 8.0 Earthquake strikes off Northern Coast of Chile; Tsunami Warning Issues

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by gringo74

What is the red line then?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

You are right, sorry about that. Actually it's a 21 meter drop, which is over 60 feet.

But if you look at the details of the graph information, it really looks like a misread data, since all data before and after are 3887mt, and it is only 1 drop to 3866mt in a 15 second lapse, any real drop like what would have showed for a longer length of time.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Like this?
I still have never seen so many buoys in event mode has anyone else?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
He is pretty amazing
The whole country was expecting it. I don't see how this makes anyone amazing:

gringo74
After the 2010 quake, a lot was done to be ready for the next one, and since it was a long time coming in the north, and there has been a los of minor quakes during these weeks, people where pretty much ready for it.
I'm glad they were ready for it, that's good news.

If anyone predicts there will be more earthquakes there, that also doesn't make them amazing as it's an earthquake-prone area.

whatnext21

Like this?
I still have never seen so many buoys in event mode has anyone else?
My guess is that's far more likely to be a bad data point than a real 60 foot drop. If you knew the technical details about how the sensor is constructed you might be able to explain technically how a bad data point can result from a seismic event.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Hey guys. I was watching Sky News late last night and I picked up on a mistake.
She said ''Man Made'' then back tracked to natural disaster. I YouTubed it for you to watch.
19seconds in.. Peace.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RLFonline

Nice catch! You know I did hear her say that last night, but let it go, dismissed it as I was too busy trying to post up dates on here.
Star sir!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by RLFonline

LOL. I think that was just a mistake. And if she was going to say 'manmade disasters', she probably would have been talking about the amount of damage we have done to the Earth contributes to these quakes!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
*** UPDATE ***

Just received an email from one of my friends in Tacna :

All the power went down during the earthquake.

Lights in the sky reported during the event. (Asking him if any transformer power grid explosion reported by authorities in the area).

Got 2 sources here, no transformer damaged. My friend's wife saw the flashes on the sky.

www.radiouno.pe...

Check the chart in next link "X" on all the column for electrical damage.

diariocorreo.pe...
edit on 2-4-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Bigburgh

30- 40 foot high wave...really...didn't appear like that on all the personal vacation videos. And wiki states 7-9...with 1/2 mile and in some cases more of water force behind it.
Hmm....wow...my bad

Thanks for clarifying that.

There were actually some waves up to 100 feet high that hit in some places. Wave height isn't consistant in Tsunamis. They can vary. I think the lack of 100 foot wave vacation videos is due to the fact it is unlikely anything or anyone survived to take videos and share them. If I remember correctly, in some places, the tsunami damage reached quite a few miles inland and obliterated every trace of civilization in its path.

Edit to add: Wikipedia article on that quake:

2004 Quake
edit on 1-4-2014 by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf because: (no reason given)

In Japan, there are Tsunami warning stones that are over 600 years old ... the ancestors of the villages engraved warning messages onto granite stones and planted them along the flood line of a valley.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Looks like what I guess would be another after shock has occurred within the last hour.

PzFeed Top News
@PzFeed
BREAKING: Chile's national seismological agency puts preliminary magnitude of quake off northern coast at 6.6

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
7.4 just popped up on my feed.....geez....not good....these poor people.....their not getting a break

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
another aftershock/foreshock at 10:45 pm EST?

7.8 mag

www.trust.org...
edit on 2-4-2014 by PatriotGames2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2014 by PatriotGames2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

watching this on GEE showed up on alot of stations really strong... tonight could be very very active people!! stay alert and have supplies available if this turns into something bigger!! Watch watch watch!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2

Upgraded to 7.8:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Another evacuation ordered

Chile's emergency office orders preventative evacuation of coastline in northern Chile after 7.4 magnitude earthquake - @Reuters, @conexiondigicol

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Buoys in Event Mode across the entire Pacific Basin within the last 24 hours (!):

NOAA

And look at the 'aftershocks' in the last day alone in Chile:

USGS
edit on 2755104pmWednesdayf55Wed, 02 Apr 2014 22:55:27 -0500America/Chicago by signalfire because: addendum

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
What do you reckon TA? Less than one mag under, I don't think we've seen the last of the big activity from this at all. Not that my opinion really means much, but I've feel following this thread since the get go and had to chime in after this new one.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

A lot of those are still triggered from the last tsunami with the 8.2.

I think they stay active for 24 hours so hard to tell without looking at the actual data for each one, but they have been signaling for quite a few hours now.

The EQ (the 7.8 that just happened a little bit ago) was downgraded to a 7.6 on the USGS
edit on 2-4-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

bkaust
What do you reckon TA? Less than one mag under, I don't think we've seen the last of the big activity from this at all. Not that my opinion really means much, but I've feel following this thread since the get go and had to chime in after this new one.

Yep, this does not bode well.
edit on 2-4-2014 by AlexanderM because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2014 by AlexanderM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Darkblade71
reply to post by signalfire

A lot of those are still triggered from the last tsunami with the 8.2.

I think they stay active for 24 hours so hard to tell without looking at the actual data for each one, but they have been signaling for quite a few hours now.

The EQ (the 7.8 that just happened a little bit ago) was downgraded to a 7.6 on the USGS
edit on 2-4-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

Yup, saw that right after I posted and changed it to the 24 hour listing; the buoy off the coast of Hawaii dove 20 meters just a couple hours ago, if I'm reading it right.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join