It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare Enrollments Surge -- Could It Be Working? Conservatives In Panic

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The other day we learned that over 6 million consumers have purchased private insurance through the exchanges provided by the ACA> Today is the deadline and from reports I am hearing enrollments are having a surge never expected. When the website first opened many doubters went to the internet to pump the idea that the ACA is a total failure. Unfortunately they did not end up on the right side of history as now we could very well see 7,8, or even 9 million people have purchased it.

Does this mean that the ACA is officially working?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Skymon612

Eeehumm.....source?

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

No, it doesn't mean Obamacare is working. I have friends who are freaking out over how much their policies have gone up, and some still waiting to find out what the hell they signed up for. Even trying to call the insurance companies that they are hopefully covered by, they can't get a straight answer.

I think your victory dance is premature at best. The dance instructor, hasn't even finished inventing the dance steps. Plus, he changes them every other day...

I'd like to see your source for your premature victory dance,,,

Des

edit on 31-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

The other day we learned that over 6 million consumers have purchased private insurance through the exchanges provided by the ACA

No, we didn't.

We may have learned that like you, most don't take time to explore multiple sources.

Thanks for the unintentional reminder to remain diligent.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

It's working just as planned.

We the people are getting screwed over and somehow, some people are giddy over this cluster####.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I tried to sign up for this just yesterday to find out that I got rejected. So much for it being mandatory. I can't even get accepted into it.

Oh well I will continue to protest this stupid bill. Eventually Obama will have to leave office and the next president's first move will be to remove this retarded law.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
"The other day we learned that over 6 million consumers have purchased private insurance through..."

Purchased? NO. That is how many people have initiated the process, "signed up" to coin the prefered term used by the administration. The Government states they do not know how many have actually "purchased" insurance.
I believe two things are very important about the # you are so excited about.
1) even if 6 million have "purchased" insurance, this is fewer than the amount of people who have had there insurance canceled due to the ACA. The amount of cancelations is predicted to triple over the next year.
2) 80% of the people who have "signed up" already had insurance. This means that only around 1.2 million uninsured have gained insurance. The ACA was touted to be necessary in order to insure all of the uninsured. 10's of millions of them.

This is ridiculous and you are trying to say how great things are going?
edit on 31-3-2014 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The other day I learned that 10 to 20% of Obamacare enrollees still haven't paid their first premiums.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
All I can say is this is one stressful process.

First - go to healthcare.gov. They are too busy to help so you can call or put in your email in for when they can fit you onto the site. So I called - response was to leave your number and they will get back to you in 5-7 days. So I did this but logged back onto the site to enter my email address as well.

Then I decided to see if I could get this through my State exchange instead - it was working nicely until it said to check your email. It booted me from the page when I clicked that option. I tried to get back to the page only to see I have to start over. I never got that email so I wonder where my personal info is at right now.

I thought I would fall out of the "sign or get fined" category but I don't so I should have started it sooner but...I didn't and it appears many others didn't based on a 5-7 day wait time for a phone call and a website so clogged they can't fit even one more person.

I might still opt for the fine - although I would like to have insurance. I'm sure the reason it is a stressful experience is due to waiting until the last minute but I haven't given it much thought (or didn't want to give it much thought), until this deadline thing caught my attention. Definitely a strange thing to feel pressured to do.

I would like to look at what Canada is doing as I understand their system is highly prized by many. I have a friend who falls into this grey zone - too low of an income to afford premiums and also too low to get subsidies. If she only made a bit more she could have gotten some help by the government in one form or another so that's really too bad. It would be nice if they could just do a percentage for all but that's just off the top of my head.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
We also don't know how many of the sign-ups are duplicates.
I had three sign-ups....according to .gov.

1. never completed, on the .gov exchange...took 4 weeks to get that off my "account"
2. through a private insurer, with a wrong start up date...and wrong piece of info.....still trying to get that deleted....after 2 months....and many calls covering MANY, MANY hours.
3. through a private insurer, with the correct start date...hopefully, that is the only one still alive tomorrow.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have has this happen.
Also, never, ever got an email from .gov for my coverage.
And, every time to go to /gov to see if the info is now correct...the site is down.
Of course, I have insurance, I think.....but cannot afford to go to the doctor

edit on Mon Mar 31 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

My heart goes out to you DTOM. I have friends in similar positions. I can't help but wonder if each time a person visits the website if that is counted as a sign up.

The fact of the matter is. Even though you did everything you were supposed to do, in the time frame provided. You still don't know what is going on. Imagine what a mess it is from the other end.

I don't see how they can give us any type of accurate number of sign ups. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

The best we'll get is the master magician pulling a rabbit out of his hat.

Des

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The more people enroll the lower cost of healthcare and insurance is going to be according to simple economics 101. Economics 101 is a college course I think many people should take including many people here on ATS.

Simple supply and demand. Now that 10 million people now have insurance through the ACA it reduces the burden of hospitals and doctors who otherwise would have patients with no money or no insurance. Doctors and hospitals are jumping in celebration over these new good numbers for Obamacare.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Even if EVERYTHING else stays the same...and insurers do not raise rates for inflation....everyone's rates go up each year as they get older.....each and every year....and the older you are, the larger the increase.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Skymon612
The more people enroll the lower cost of healthcare and insurance is going to be according to simple economics 101. Economics 101 is a college course I think many people should take including many people here on ATS.

Simple supply and demand. Now that 10 million people now have insurance through the ACA it reduces the burden of hospitals and doctors who otherwise would have patients with no money or no insurance. Doctors and hospitals are jumping in celebration over these new good numbers for Obamacare.

I need more than your selling Obamacare post...like a link to a valid source. Please provide data to back up your silly claims.
Show me some jumping for joy Doctors. A few I know, plan on going into a cash only pay as you go private practice, as they can't afford the paperwork of Obamacare alone.

Des

edit on 31-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Am I reading this right??

The OP signed up to ATS today, to post about how great the "affordable" health care act is... and still provides no sources to their claims?

Political madness for sure.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
If 6 million people have recently "signed up" for PPACA, or whatever, it's not because they love it. It's because today is the deadline after which you will have to pay to enroll or you will have to pay $95, or %1 of your income if you choose not to sign up.

Knowing this deadline was looming, I went back to www.healthcare.gov after my initial attempts to get a quote (which were made when the site first went live, and I won't even go in to the massive amount of problems I had even creating an account!) and found that I do not qualify for any subsidy. I am self-employed and uninsured. If I want a cheap "bronze" plan I can expect to pay about $300 a month and will not get dental insurance.

Next year it goes up to 2% of your income.

Most of the people I personally know touting this bull___ are insured through their employer, and have never even taken the time to see for themselves what they believe is so fantastic.

Interestingly, my local news ran a story today about how it was the deadline and the website was having a lot of problems. They were about to do a piece on what to do in the event you can't get the website to work before the deadline, but I didn't watch the rest of it.

Seriously though, do you have a source for this information? I'd genuinely like to pick it apart.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Even if EVERYTHING else stays the same...and insurers do not raise rates for inflation....everyone's rates go up each year as they get older.....each and every year....and the older you are, the larger the increase. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not in my state. I don't know if it's the same in all states but here there are quite broad age groups.

Also, for employer provided group plans anyway, all rates are actually lower for ACA compliant plans until you reach 60. Same coverage.
edit on 3/31/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

morder1
Am I reading this right??

The OP signed up to ATS today, to post about how great the "affordable" health care act is... and still provides no sources to their claims?

Political madness for sure.

Exatomundo! They cartwheeled in with pom poms flashing...no links though.

Des

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

It will be interesting to find out how many of those that sign up for insurance will be paying the premiums, mind you that targeting the working class by force will affect the most those that live from paycheck to paycheck.

I wonder how many of those will be choosing food over ACa, after all just because you live pay check by pay check doesn't mean you can qualify for subsidies, then taking into consideration the problem of the legality of subsidies, things are going to get very interesting when the big insurance mobs starts to see defaults on monthly payments from the sign ups.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

10 million now! Sources.....Are you counting outside marketplace and medicaid in with market place enrollments? Because then you are way off...only 6 Million signed up through the market place which may support it 4.5 million of those previously had insurance. Then off set that against those who lost coverage they are lucky to break even.

This is what a source looks like....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join