It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Exactly Are the Common Characteristics Between Humans and Bananas?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
just because you are part banana,

yeah, don't think you're one of the bunch.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

we have more in common with other life forms than we know:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

demus
reply to post by ~Lucidity

we have more in common with other life forms than we know:

Yes, we were all embryos at one time. I agree.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

For the love of all the little furry animals in the world, I wish I had.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

They are the first of their species to be genetically modified.

out of the 200 fruits that are used in our society all are genetically modified, In nature the seeds are really big and the flesh really small, bananas were the first ones around the 1880s to be genetically made. there are over 3 thousand fruits in the amazon all are opposite to our fruits

Humans were genetically modified thousands of years ago from neanderthals, we know this because there are over 20 different jumps of evolution missing to be able to get from neanderthal to us. there are four types of neanderthals left on this planet but deforestation is depleting there lands they all live in the jungles and mountain regions of every continent,

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Fuzzy Wabbit

Wow. It's been quite a long time since I've witnessed an asinine argument of such massive proportions as yours.

...and that's saying something.

Is the subject of creationism or intelligent design so utterly defeated that this is the level you are willing to stoop to in attempt to refute the scientific basis of evolution? That's just sad. Allow me to clue you in on something so that perhaps you'll leave this foolishness alone and walk away with some shred of dignity intact. Consider it an act of a Good Samaritan.

You cannot mix scientific theory with philosophical notions of theology, faith and personal belief systems. There is simply no basis for comparison, as creationism and ID cannot be scientifically tested. It is an impossible task that no amount of faith can possibly overcome, despite one's desire to do so.

Being purposely obtuse, as evidenced by your thread, does you and the argument you are trying to make much discredit. Surely, there are other theological avenues that you could persue that would be much more beneficial. Perhaps the noble goal of achieving world peace through acts of empathy and compassion, for instance.

In short, leave bananas to your morning bowl of cereal - or, better yet, ice cream.

I asked a question which none of you have sufficiently answered.

I asked, what are the common characteristics. You have bounced around the question and fell into the appeal to emotion by attacking Creationism. As you can't simply answer the question other than give me generalized statements, please go ask professors what those common characteristics are.

Definition of Characteristic

char·ac·ter·is·tic [kar-ik-tuh-ris-tik] Show IPA
adjective
Also, char·ac·ter·is·ti·cal. pertaining to, constituting, or indicating the character or peculiar quality of a person or thing; typical; distinctive: Red and gold are the characteristic colors of autumn.
noun
a distinguishing feature or quality: Generosity is his chief characteristic.
Mathematics .
a.
the integral part of a common logarithm. Compare mantissa.
b.
the exponent of 10 in a number expressed in scientific notation.
c.
the smallest positive integer n such that each element of a given ring added to itself n times results in 0.

What are the distinguishing features that are common to bananas and humans? Shared DNA does not mean it is a characteristic.

So we can say this is math, so what is the integral part of the common logarithm?

I asked a simple question, please give a simple answer. This "let's attack Creationism because it disagrees with us" is really not an answer. Are you able to give what those distinguishing features are that are common?

Water? All life requires water.

Ability to synthesize proteins? All life does that.

But as it says "common characteristics" please tell what those are.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

jinni73

They are the first of their species to be genetically modified.

out of the 200 fruits that are used in our society all are genetically modified, In nature the seeds are really big and the flesh really small, bananas were the first ones around the 1880s to be genetically made. there are over 3 thousand fruits in the amazon all are opposite to our fruits

Humans were genetically modified thousands of years ago from neanderthals, we know this because there are over 20 different jumps of evolution missing to be able to get from neanderthal to us. there are four types of neanderthals left on this planet but deforestation is depleting there lands they all live in the jungles and mountain regions of every continent,

hmm, Todd Disotell and I are both 2.9% Neanderthal.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

they're both edible

but banana tastes better i guess (i never eat humans)

peace

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

predominantly consisting of water.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   

dodol

they're both edible

peace

LOL well that was mentioned in a previous post. But who would be willing to experiment for the sake of science?

But is that a characteristic, because my yard clippings are also edible.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

demus

So are sea anemone and cacti.

Watermelons should be more related then, I assume.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

WarminIndy

demus

watermelons - 91% water, so bananas are much closer by percentage of water.

you are right about sea anemone and cacti - we have at least one characteristic that we share.

water.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

demus

WarminIndy

demus

you are right about sea anemone and cacti - we have at least one characteristic that we share.

water.

So does yard clippings. But we don't photosynthesize. We inhale oxygen, our yards suffer and then work hard to turn our carbon dioxide back into oxygen.

Then we should also be related to steam, because that's water, H2O. Water is necessary for life. So containing water isn't really a characteristic, because all life forms require water.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
It's impossible to answer the question in a manner you'll accept when you clearly have no idea about genetics yet think you're able to disprove it. What makes it harder is when you selectively quote subclauses of sentences to try and make it seem like the statement means something completely different.

As people have said bananas contain water, starches, minerals, base proteins etc, the process of consuming and producing these follows the basics that humans and all plants and animals have in common, they need to respirate, cannot reproduce asexually etc...It's not a reference to what eye colour they have or what their favourite band is.

The only option anyone is left with is to tell you to learn the basics of genes before trying to grasp something like this as you clearly lack the basic comprehension of the topic as your above water comment makes clear. All life is based around water due to sharing common ancestors.

edit on 27-3-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

bastion
All life is based around water due to sharing common ancestors.

edit on 27-3-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

And that common ancestor is....???

What was a banana before it was a banana?

Origins of Bananas

Musa acuminata and Musa balbisiana both originated in South India and South Asia. Now if Out Of Africa is correct then bananas and humans can't have same ancestors. But if Multi-Regional is correct, then Out Of Africa is not correct.

So did human life arise out of South Asia or Africa?

Timeline Of Human Evolution

Now the current theory in human migration out of Africa is into South Asia, not out of South Asia. But the origin of bananas is in South Asia. Can't have it both ways. Which way do you think it is, Out of Asia or Out of Africa?

Wait, time lines, right?

History of Bananas

Hmm, since there are skeletons of humans pre-banana in Africa, because bananas were brought to Africa in 327 BC, then I just don't see how humans and bananas can be much related, unless humans came out of Asia instead of Africa. And since very old skeletons were found in Africa, then I wonder how this could fit the timeline.

Perhaps you can answer this one for me. Is it Out of Africa or Out of Asia?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Bananas like to bend over to be part of the group.
Just like people do.

And we all start fresh and green.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

dodol
they're both edible

Have you tried the smaller ones?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Don't be silly. All life came from the sea, regardless of where it climbed out of the ocean, it still came from that. The ocean has these things the science world calls currents. They carry water and other things all over the world. So the common ancestor for bananas and humans was probably in the same area of the ocean at one time then the group split apart by the currents and proceeded to go down different evolutionary paths.

I'm not sure why you are purposely making this hard for you to understand. It's not that hard to figure it out. Plus the other posters have adequately answered your question, you've just refused to accept it. And your quote about evolution being magic is even more absurd since despite your quote mine, you quoted the rest of the sentence which clearly reads as a metaphorical statement describing the beauty of how it works. So you either REALLY suck at identifying metaphors or you are being purposely obtuse like the 2 or 3 other posters have pointed out to you.
edit on 27-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Oh dear lord....

Some of the answers in this thread are funny, others (not many) are factual and answer the question and the rest just make me slap myself in the face...

As has been pointed out, we share around 50% of the genes as a banana plant. This doesn't just mean the yellow, bendy thing people like to make penis jokes out of, but the whole plant. The banana is just the berry of the Banana bush.

Now, obviously all life on this earth shares some basic processes, which are governed by the same genes - why would nature come up with new genes when the old one's worked well enough? This goes a long way to explaining the 50% shared genetic makeup.

If you want a common ancestor, you're going to have to go all the way back to the very start, right where plants and animals diverged. The common ancestor for Humans and Banana's is likely to be a single celled organism with very basic processes which are shared across animals and plants.

Anyhoo, that's it in a nutshell - I won't waste much time on it as I have it will be ignored by some!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

WarminIndy

demus

WarminIndy

demus

water.

So does yard clippings. But we don't photosynthesize. We inhale oxygen, our yards suffer and then work hard to turn our carbon dioxide back into oxygen.

Then we should also be related to steam, because that's water, H2O. Water is necessary for life. So containing water isn't really a characteristic, because all life forms require water.

steam is not alive.

we share WATER with other living things so that is our common characteristic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join