It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Our Sky Would Look If Andromeda was Brighter

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
S&F

Ohh

I like this One Andromeda Photographed in 1899..,

Great Andromeda Nebula. Public domain photo of from A Selection of Photographs of Stars, Star-clusters and Nebulae, Volume II, The Universal Press, London, 1899. Author (Isaac Roberts) died on 17 July 1904
Date 1899

Source A Selection of Photographs of Stars, Star-clusters and Nebulae, Volume II, The Universal Press, London, 1899.

X-rays Reveal a Stellar-Mass Black Hole in Andromeda

by Jason Major on February 23, 2012

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Wow
that is amazingly breath taking

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Excellent photographs.

You are lucky to have relatively dark skies in your vicinity, as they are hard to find where I am. I have however, had some success doing astrophtography in the city by using different custom white balances.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Hello, i use an application called " Universe Sandbox" and one of the preloaded models is the andromeda galaxy crashing into the milkyway.

You can download a free version too....

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   

JarsCloutLife
reply to post by wmd_2008

Excellent photographs.

You are lucky to have relatively dark skies in your vicinity, as they are hard to find where I am. I have however, had some success doing astrophtography in the city by using different custom white balances.

Thanks you should post some of your pictures on the Members Asrtophotography thread, that dark sky site is still about an hour and 20 mins drive from were I live and it was about minus 7 degrees when taking the pictures.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Not owning a telescope or suitable camera, here's an image I created using NASA's SkyView Virtual Telescope service, using DSS image surveys:

Full-size:

The Andromeda has probably the most beautiful dust lanes of all galaxies.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
lol, nice pic but i don't believe it.

it's not a real pic.

we will clash in the future, next january i guess. lol!

no way that's a real pic.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

tsingtao

it's not a real pic.

That would be real pic if we could see whole Andromeda galaxy. It would appear as at least 4 times the size of Moon in our sky. BUT we only see the center of Andromeda, because other parts are not bright enough. There is way too much light pollution (anywhere on Earth) and the atmosphere causes disturbance. And human eyes are not sensitive enough.

It looks like its really close, but its really, really wide. Its diameter is 165 000 - 200 000 light years. Milky Way is around 100 000 light years.

And Andromeda Galaxy is visible to naked eye on clear night when there is no light pollution. Its brightest galaxy on northern night sky.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadlink

Thanks for the recommendation !!

Will look it up !!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Wow- That is GORGEOUS!!
Thanks for posting this, I'm taking a permanent break from all the political fighting threads (lol) and so glad I picked yours first!

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Do you think the universe goes on forever ? no, if it did the combined brightness of all the stars would make it so bright during the day and night. They believe we so far can see about 75% of our universe ans when you get to the end you loop around and come out on the other side.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I wonder, if with a good night vision camera, with a clear sky, away from the city, if one could see much more of Andromeda.

That sounds like a good project for summer camping.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   

poet1b

I wonder, if with a good night vision camera, with a clear sky, away from the city, if one could see much more of Andromeda.

That sounds like a good project for summer camping.

To be honest you may be disappointed most night vision cameras are low res, better to take a few images with a good camera lens combination and stack then in DSS.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SonoftheSun

Your welcome .. have you tried it yet ??? cheers

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I can't comprehend how many stars are in those photos of Andromeda. Breathtaking!

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsingtao

it's not a real pic.

There is 54 galaxies in our local group. Eventually they will all merge and become one super massive galaxy. Might intrest you to know that the milky way has all ready eaten other galaxies. In fact one paper i read said our star may not belong to the milky way at all.

www.google.com... mp/

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Certain things our brains just aren't equipped to comprehend. It's one thing to say several million stars, or whatever the number actually is, another to see, and try to comprehend.

That it's so very far away, yet would be so large--the mind simply goes to a default setting, which is "Wow, that's cool!". Mine does anyway...

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: carewemust

Certain things our brains just aren't equipped to comprehend. It's one thing to say several million stars, or whatever the number actually is, another to see, and try to comprehend.

That it's so very far away, yet would be so large--the mind simply goes to a default setting, which is "Wow, that's cool!". Mine does anyway...

It creates a little paradigm shift in your mind when you see it in binoculars. You see a small oval fuzzy patch of light (it looks like an accidental thumbprint left by a painter), and realise that you're looking at a whole differnt galaxy 2.5 million light years away from us and containing billions of stars.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

That's a shift that I have trouble with. Intellectually, I know it. But, that realization of the true vastness is quite beyond my ken.

I try, but fail utterly. So, I get by with "Ooooh, that's soooo cool." It seems to work.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join