It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Our Sky Would Look If Andromeda was Brighter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+106 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Here is a picture I took at a dark sky site near were I live.

Exposure details Sony SLT A37 f3.5 10 secs at iso 3200 18mm focal length.
The fuzzy blob of light near the top middle is a fraction of the Andromeda Galaxy starting to show in the exposure.It's a wide angle shot and a crop from the full picture which was 4912 x 3264 pixels the picture above is 604 x 307 pixels.

Now to give you an idea how even more interesting our night sky would look if Andromeda was brighter here it is to scale with the Moon .

i.imgur.com...

wmd.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Seriously, it's that large in reality? I never knew that, I just thought it was that small area of the sky. Really? Mind blown, or at least a portion of it taken past a preconceived reality-tunnel structure. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Ohmylanta!
That second image is amazing! I just made it my wallpaper on my desktop.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Hi yes it's that size here is a link that compares other objects look at the Moon graphic at the bottom of the link.

Angular Diameter

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Thats super neat.
I wish it was that close, would give us a pretty light show.
But having another gravitational body that close may make life on this planet impossible. Who knows
Andromeda was a good show too

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

It is that close its just not bright enough.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Maybe deep enough into the thread to post this, but I like how people had to click on your link and then, like me, be surprised at the result. This thread should be one of those "flagged to the main page" imnho. Thanks again.

edit on 26-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Thanks for that I thought it might interest lots of members on here.

Have you had a look here
edit on 26-3-2014 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

wmd_2008

Now to give you an idea how even more interesting our night sky would look if Andromeda was brighter here it is to scale with the Moon .

i.imgur.com...

Excellent comparison which I wasn't aware of ... even though I think you're sometimes overly sceptical in most other threads, I do appreciate your experience in photography and the amazing result of your work in this thread!

S&F ...

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Hi jeep3r thanks for that you to do a lot of good work on here as well, we don't always agree maybe it just my age and the fact I have listened to various claims MANY times over MANY MANY years.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
It would be absolutely awesome to look up at our night sky and see that every night.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
The Andromeda is more than six times as wide as the full moon. It would make a great object in the night sky if our eyes were a lot more sensitive to dim light (and if there were no light pollution). In reality, we can only see the bright central bulge of the galaxy, which is approximately as wide as the full moon, with the naked eye, binoculars, or small telescopes. A large telescope can show the whole galactic disc, with dark dust lanes.

And this thing will collide with us in a few billion years.

Here's a cool closeup mosaic of the Andromeda, taken by the 2.5m Isaac Newton Telescope.

(This image still ocuppies about three full moons diagonally!)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I have an Orion XT8 Dobsonian and live in the extreme north east of the US. Am I in a good spot on the globe to view this and Is my telescope capable of being this into view?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Ah, a thought. You know how the full moon appears larger when it rises over the horizon, due to our brain reading out perspective. Imagine Andromeda rising over the horizon with the same optical illusion brain-readout perspective! (that would be a good photoshop for someone to play with)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

AzureSky
Thats super neat.
I wish it was that close, would give us a pretty light show.
But having another gravitational body that close may make life on this planet impossible. Who knows
Andromeda was a good show too

You DO know that Andromeda is a whole other galaxy from ours right? A galaxy that is about 3 times bigger than ours. If it was closer, it would do far more than effect the gravity of Earth. Oh but wait, there's this, Andromeda–Milky Way collision. So it's actually getting closer every day. Enjoy

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Holy smokes, OP, that's gorgeous! I knew it was supposed to be on the large side if our eyes could see it, but I'm taken aback a little. I've never realized just how large it would be. Talk about perspective

Aktulu
Ohmylanta!
That second image is amazing! I just made it my wallpaper on my desktop.

So did I! I've been running a Windows theme moon & landscape set on my computer, but OP's picture is a highly needed change.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Aktulu

i did the same

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Mind blown. Very Very Cool !!

The Andromeda Galaxy and the Milky Way are thus expected to collide in about 3.75 or 4.5 billion years

en.wikipedia.org...

It's approaching at 300 Kilometers/second...

Will be one Gigantic Firework !!

S&F.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

bkfd54
I have an Orion XT8 Dobsonian and live in the extreme north east of the US. Am I in a good spot on the globe to view this and Is my telescope capable of being this into view?

Download this and check for yourself

Stellarium

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Aleister

Ah, a thought. You know how the full moon appears larger when it rises over the horizon, due to our brain reading out perspective. Imagine Andromeda rising over the horizon with the same optical illusion brain-readout perspective! (that would be a good photoshop for someone to play with)

I can do better than that watch this.

Watch this highest res possible and volume turned up!!!!

Watch our own Galaxy rise above the horizon.

I showed this to some friends/family on my 92" cinema screen in HD quietest 4 mins & 9 seconds in my house ever.
edit on 26-3-2014 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join