It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets talk autism.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I could do a simple google search but whats the fun in that.
I want to hear from you ats members about this topic.

I have a friend i have been talking to and she told me her male child is autistic and asked if i knew anything about autism.
I don't.

Give me your best.
What is it?
Any cures?
How do you raise an autistic child?

What do you got guys and gals....give me the 411?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I can tell you from experience that autism is real. But it is over diagnosed. Lots of lazy parents want Johnnys behavior to be somebody else's fault and not theirs. That unfortunately pulls attention away from true cases.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I wish I knew what caused it and how to cure it. It's occurring at epidemic rates. Don't let anyone tell you it's because it's over diagnosed. That effect comes no where near explaining the exponential increase in cases.

A couple of cases have hit near home so I have had opportunity to interact. My nephew was acting strange at 3 months. He would turn away from mom and dad's faces over the crib. So in his case, something happened early which is one mode.

There is another mode. It's called regressive Autism. This mode is particularly troubling because it's almost certainly caused by something in the child's environment. There is growing evidence of a link to a malfunctioning immune system. Pharma will fight this to the death, but vaccines asymmetrically manipulate the human immune system. This is a finely tuned machine not a lawnmower. People --not herd animals.

link to information on regressive Autism

Science sponsored by pharma are focusing on symptom treatment. Go figure. They spend more on advertising and PR than R&D. Pure evil IMO.

good luck.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

DrumsRfun
I could do a simple google search but whats the fun in that.
I want to hear from you ats members about this topic.

I have a friend i have been talking to and she told me her male child is autistic and asked if i knew anything about autism.
I don't.

Give me your best.
What is it?
Any cures?
How do you raise an autistic child?

What do you got guys and gals....give me the 411?

It is simply a condition that exists in the brains of some children (mine included) that prevents proper communication between neurons, they fire off too fast or not at all, or in patterns that aren't conducive to normal brain function. These children tend to be very poor in social situations, and can range in intelligence from below average to way above average. They also have problems with major sensory overload...

At present there are no cures for the disorder, they first need to find out what causes it, my personal feeling on it is that it is genetic.. but there's no real proof of that yet...

As for your third question? You don't raise an autistic child, you go on the journey with them, they see the world very differently than we do and sometimes much more clearly on certain issues, they are fun children when you can get through the walls, and I have a lot of fun with my girls every day.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
It is important to note that autism is a spectrum of conditions, rather than a one-size-fits-all disorder. It's an umbrella term encompassing many varieties and severities of symptoms. A lot of needless confusion is created when people refer to and think of autism spectrum disorder as a singular entity. When it comes to causes/cures/treatments (i.e. not one cause, one potential cure), not a lot is know for certain.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Even though I only got 4 posts to this thread...it is more information than I had previously so i thank you posters for your time.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

There is a very interesting sci-fi book called The Atlantis Gene, by A.G. Riddle that speaks of autism being the next level of evolution for the human race. Although the plot is fictional, what makes one pause and ponder in wonderment is that the plot is enmeshed with scientific and statistical facts from various research communities. I highly would recommend that you take a look at the book; there was a sequel - recently released - but I have yet to read that although it is in my queue.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Lately my mom keeps telling me i'm autistic. ( there are many different variations. You have the very bad one when a child cannot speak. And you have the very mild versions like mine where i just behave others then "normal" children ) First i was pissed at my mom for calling me autistic but then i started noticing stuff about myself that falls into the symptoms of autism category.

I personally think autism is caused by vaccinations. As we have seen last year it was a big topic all over the news that vaccines caused autism and many mothers were of-course pissed when this came out. There is a lot to blame on vaccines and autism is 1 of those things. However in some cases it could be a flaw in someones genes that cause it.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Some of the best and most detailed info on how to go about improving or even curing autism can be found on this site: www.dramyyasko.com...

Dr Amy Yasko uses genetic profiling to map mostly nutritional approaches to correcting the biochemical imbalances that give rise the symptoms of autistic spectrum diseases.

Interesting that many of these genetic orientatwd deficiencies can also be caused by non-genetic toxins like Mercury and Aluminium/Aluminium Fluoride. This sits behind many diseases like chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, depression, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and possible even some variants of diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

The material can be highly technical, but if you have the problem, this is a good place to start learning about the solution approaches.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

There is reason to think it is both genetic and environmental. In other words a genetic predisposition or fragility may make some people more susceptible to environmental factors such as toxins, vaccines, diet, etc.

There was just a study released that correlated Autism to anti-depressants during pregnancy. Also another one to acetaminophen during pregnancy.

There are people who swear by the GAPS diet but it's very controversial The premise being that a leaky gut or food sensitivity may exacerbate symptoms.

Also many swear by Omega 3 supplementation.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I believe nutrition plays a big part in autism and other diseases and conditions as well. I think dairy and wheat are the biggest culprits on us today. I believe people when they say that their diets helped "cure" or improved their child. My son shows huge signs of adhd. We do not eat dairy (my kids and myself cannot digest it) and we limit wheat. If my son was to eat bread a few days in a row...he becomes hyper and unfocused. There is a huge difference when I limit his consumption of wheat. This makes me believe the claims about diet helping kids with autism. It may not be the cure, but it most likely helps.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Back in 1998-2000 I worked at an Elementary School in the Multi-VE section, which stood for "varying exceptionalities" and we had a few "autistic" kids in the class. Every kid in the class had some form of disability. I really enjoyed the job but the pay was horrible and I had 2 other jobs with this one. I eventually left to go work at Lowes which was paying me double so I didn't need both weekend jobs. My mom still works at the school and worked in Multi VE until a few years ago. She is in pre-k now and I think one kid has Downs Syndrome in the class.

The definition as I saw it was this. Kids who were non verbal, repetitive with certain things or they were stuck on one thing. Some were high functioning meaning they could understand but their brain processed things differently, think Rain Main. There are so many varying degrees of autism it's hard to really truly explain it.

For example one kid I worked with LOVE Thomas The Tank Engine and he for some reasoned like the X Files. He would call me Scully when I wore my leather jacket. lol He would repeat the energizer bunny commercials over and over. He would rock back and forth but he didn't say much. Looking at these kids you would never know they had anything like autism.

There are varying degrees of autism of course. One kid I worked with was completely non verbal and didn't understand anything, or so we thought. We really had no way of knowing if she did or not. Another kid in the class that was autistic also didn't talk but she would hum and rock back and forth. She also didn't understand what we were doing and we would have to guide her with all school work.

To me I think many kids today are labeled autistic and they aren't. I also think the term "Aspergers" is used far too much as well. If they don't know what is wrong with a kid or they have behavioral problems then oh they must be autistic or have Aspergers. IMO that is not always the case but in a society where everyone wants to be labeled something it is what it is.

There is a girl named Carly Fleishman who is autistic. Her parents thought she didn't understand what they said until one day she got around a computer. Turns out she could TOTALLY understand everything they said to her but she was basically stuck in her own body unable to communicate back. Can you imagine?! She now has her own blog and communicates using iPads and computers. There was a documentary on here a while back via 20/20 I believe. It was interesting and it made me wonder about the kids I worked with and if they actually could understand us but were unable to respond.

edit on 3/21/2014 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

You have hit the nail square on the head with your post .... Autism is also five

times more likely to affect males than females.
edit on 21-3-2014 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It is a strange fact that autistic boys are fanatical about all 'Thomas the Tank' toys

and books.

I have seen toddlers looking at the books and lining up their Thomas and friends

trains, long before they have been diagnosed 'autistic'. . .

I have often wondered too, If the Author and creator of 'Thomas the Tank Engine'

the Reverand W Awdry was himself autistic? due to his having this strange ability to

reach autistic children.

As they get older they often transfer their interest to all trains ....LOL....

I often take my now grown grandson to the train museum in York, or on a long

return train journey for the day.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I never thought ATS, of all places, would slip into this pitfall.

Once and for all, get this straight : Autism is NOT a childhood disorder. It is not an early learning impairment. Autistic children grow up into autistic adults. ASD is a genetic trait, like green eyes or curly hair. It is not a disease to be eliminated, it is the way their brain is made. It is how they are as persons.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Cathcart
I never thought ATS, of all places, would slip into this pitfall.

Once and for all, get this straight : Autism is NOT a childhood disorder. It is not an early learning impairment. Autistic children grow up into autistic adults. ASD is a genetic trait, like green eyes or curly hair. It is not a disease to be eliminated, it is the way their brain is made. It is how they are as persons.

They have not proven that it is a genetic trait, i tend to think that it is genetics, but as I said before this has not been proven (or disproven yet) and most Autistic children if caught early enough and with enough good educational supports can function pretty normally, if not outwardly 100%.

SO I have no idea where you get your Once and for all attitude from, (Especially considering there are still many that feel vaccinations cause it, or parents that happen to drink skim milk over whole milk :yes I heard that one too
there is still a LOT of research to be done and an AWFUL lot of understanding..

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cathcart

How fascinating that YOU are so sure.
Even experts can't agree.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

vkey08
They have not proven that it is a genetic trait, i tend to think that it is genetics, but as I said before this has not been proven (or disproven yet)

Evidence strongly suggests either a hereditary trait or a type of mutation, probably both. Proof of environmental causes is anecdotical and, unless I'm mistaken, no clear link has yet to be established whatsoever.

vkey08
and most Autistic children if caught early enough and with enough good educational supports can function pretty normally, if not outwardly 100%.

Hell no. They cannot function "normally". They can learn to imitate those who function "normally". They can be conditioned to behave like them. To pretend. Kind of like the zombie walk in Shaun of the Dead. They must pretend to be neurotypical (the correct name of those you called "normal"), because otherwise the neurotypical world will attack them for being who they are. They live in a hostile world. What you call "good educational support", I call brainwashing. And some of the methods to "cure" autism can also be quite unsavory, to say the least.

vkey08
SO I have no idea where you get your Once and for all attitude from

The ASD community. You know, those who actually are autistic, as opposed to the neurotypical doctors who feel they know better than ourselves.

vkey08
(Especially considering there are still many that feel vaccinations cause it, or parents that happen to drink skim milk over whole milk :yes I heard that one too
there is still a LOT of research to be done and an AWFUL lot of understanding..

No offense, but you're not helping on the "understanding" part.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Cathcart

Kind of like the zombie walk in Shaun of the Dead.

Really...a serious topic and you do a dumb movie reference?
Who is the zombie....me asking the question or you giving me retarded movie references??

I call brainwashing

Really?

No offense, but you're not helping on the "understanding" part.

I don't think you are either.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

DrumsRfun
Really...a serious topic and you do a dumb movie reference?
Who is the zombie....me asking the question or you giving me retarded movie references??

It was a comparison. You know, trying to mimic the mannerisms of a hostile crowd, so you will fit in and they won't turn on you. Did you find the analogy offensive?

DrumsRfun
I don't think you are either.

Well, at least I mentionned that autistic adults actually do exist. What's more, I even went so far as to suggest they have a perspective, instead of treating the whole topic solely from a medical standpoint, as if there were no human factors involved.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join