It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Should America Do?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

elysiumfire
smithjustinb:

This greatest country in the world, America...

Just exactly on what basis do you claim America to be the greatest country in the world? On what consensus of criteria can this claim be considered fact? Before you answer, ensure you understand the questions I pose to you.

Because we are free. The people have power within the country. We are free to be ourselves to a greater extent than any other individual in any other country. Not only are we free, but our government is designed to make sure that we remain free. The government has limited its own power to serve the best interests of the people. Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness is what determines law in America.

Albeit, there are those in power trying to change America.

Nevertheless, the principles that America was founded upon is what makes America the greatest country in the world.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
smithjustinb

We are free to be ourselves to a greater extent than any other individual in any other country.

Is that so. Tell me what you can do as a 'free' individual in America that I can't do as a 'free' individual here in England that really does set different levels of freedom?

Perhaps, the following will adjust your puerile mindset...or maybe not?

www.youtube.com...

...the principles that America was founded upon is what makes America the greatest country in the world.

Understand that the principles America was founded upon, those noble ideals, already existed in the minds of men and women in other countries long before America was discovered. They were not suddenly imagined into being in the late 1700s. Those principles you refer to were crystalised into an argument for independence from the yoke of Great Britain by an Englishman whose writings galvanised and stirred the hearts of the colonials in America. The principles are not unique to America.

However, the principles in themselve, as noble as they are, do not make any country greater than another, for as they remain in imagination, they are worthless, but if they are truly lived and adhered to then the people make themselves a great nation, Americans have yet to achieve this across the country, and the political environment to extend those principles to all races of Americans, because at America's founding, those principles were not shared across the races.

As Jeff Daniel's character opines...America is not the greatest country, only Britain (as far as I am aware) has 'great' in its name?
edit on 18/3/14 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Americans always complain about the government and laws they push and create conspiracy theories about their own country (9/11, Obama, Bush) How about the NSA spying on civilians, seem free?

You have people gunning down kids in school, are those kids free?

How free am i when i need a vest on my chest and a glock just to go watch batman?

Are homosexuals free?, they have people PROTESTING against them.

Where the Negros free when you founded this country?

I am not claiming any country is the best country, i believe no country is perfect and no one is the "best"
edit on 19-3-2014 by Idiosonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

These bickerings are quite entertaining and fun. Lets be realistic though if America makes a move the whole "free" world will follow suit. Regardles of what you may think about America. America dose in some twisted insane way represent the corner stone of diversity and co existence. Though that point could be argued again and again, this we all know is true if America acts the world will act, wether thats a good or a bad thing is up to the subject. I think we should mind our own until Europe cries out to us and in which case we should defend our brothers and sisters across the pond otherwise i personally have no pawn in this game

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
TechniXcality:

These bickerings are quite entertaining and fun.

I would hope educationary, too, at least for Americans who have quite a myopic view of the rest of the world.

Lets be realistic though if America makes a move the whole "free" world will follow suit.

That's hardly realistic, and too broad a stroke of the brush. The so-called 'free' world does not automatically follow suit, or fall into line. It certainly didn't with Syria when American and British political leaders wanted to intervene militarily, but ended up being embarrassed by the people's interjection of 'no way', in Europe and America.

Your broad brush stroke hides the fact that incestuous corporate relations influence Western government concerns. They have no concern for the people, you and me, for instance. It is we at street level whom are meant to put up and shut up. It is we whom are meant to be influenced by patriotism, national glory, and the hypocrisy of believing ourselves more 'free' than peoples in other nations we are meant to be suspicious of. The American people need to see the schism that is not only apparent, but well and truly promoted between what they think they have in terms of greater freedoms and what they really have in terms of lesser freedoms. Most of America is in denial regarding the corrosive effect of its modern political dynasty upon its founding principles, which very few Americans are actually defending against.

If the founding principles of America really are as important as Americans believe them to be in their minds, why are they not defending them with the utmost conviction with their bodies? I'll tell you why...for most Americans, it is easier and more convenient to hold the founding principles in mind and wishful thought only, rather than to actually have to physically defend those principles as they are lessened and removed slowly and incrementally. Of course, Americans think that by holding the founding beliefs in mind, that in itself is enough to safeguard them...it isn't, and they are not safeguarded, not by Americans anyway. America's self-belief of 'greatness' is a comfortable illusion used by Americans as a means to belittle the freedoms that peoples in other countries equally enjoy.

Americans are the troglodytes believing the shadows on the wall are the reality. They need to find a way to unchain themselves from their illusion and step outside the cave to experience reality.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

LooseLipsSinkShips

If it wasn't for America, Nazis would be running most of the World right now.

The United States has learned that the majority of people, and Nations, on Earth can not take care of themselves.

Good lord, this is the kind of hopeless ignorance that makes the rest of the world afraid of "merca".

Hey mister, it is BECAUSE of America, Nazis are stomping Ukraine right now, it's because of America Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are the ONLY European pro-Nazi nations, which just happen to be NATO members, while during WWII OSS was busy saving the worst Nazis they could get a hold of -> Operation Paperclip.

For crying out loud. Face it, America has been hijacked long time ago, constitution trampled upon, and the ones who are running the show are them selves NWO-Nazis. Wake the hell up.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

smithjustinb

elysiumfire
smithjustinb:

This greatest country in the world, America...

Just exactly on what basis do you claim America to be the greatest country in the world? On what consensus of criteria can this claim be considered fact? Before you answer, ensure you understand the questions I pose to you.

Because we are free. The people have power within the country. We are free to be ourselves to a greater extent than any other individual in any other country. Not only are we free, but our government is designed to make sure that we remain free. The government has limited its own power to serve the best interests of the people. Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness is what determines law in America.

Albeit, there are those in power trying to change America.

Nevertheless, the principles that America was founded upon is what makes America the greatest country in the world.

Please list other countries you lived in. Make a list so we can all see what you are comparing things to.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join