It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We celebrate St Patrick's day because

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

I believe it's fairly normal to celebrate a saint on the day of his death, if only because his death is more likely to have a known date than his birth.
Theologically, it would be understood as the day he entered heaven.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

I dunno, carn't remember?

Oh, begorrah!

edit on 18/3/2014 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

okamitengu

you missed the part where he was a slave...

Who was St. Patrick?

St. Patrick — brace yourself — was not actually Irish.

Patrick was a nobleman born in about 400 A.D. in Britain and kidnapped by Irish pirates at the age of 16, said Philip Freeman, author of St. Patrick of Ireland: A Biography.

Patrick was born into a religious family, but was an atheist early in his life. However, he rediscovered his faith while enslaved in Ireland, Freeman told USA TODAY Network.

After 17 years as a slave, St. Patrick escaped Ireland and found his way home, but returned to Ireland as a missionary.

"He said he was ready to die in Ireland in order to make his mission successful," Freeman said.

ParadesIt's unclear if St. Patrick did in fact die in Ireland, but March 17 is widely believed to be the day of his death, according to Freeman.

Maybe he was bitter and thought "right its payback time"

On a more serious note, legend says St Patrick drank a pint of snakebite and croaked it....ok maybe I made that one up!

edit on 18-3-2014 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

Half the world and its brother claim to be half-"oirish"
Which is probably true, we tend to get the hell outta here after a while...
We Irish are very patriotic so when Paddy's Day comes around its time to don the green wig and hit the pub.
Which gets very messy after about 5pm....
As for St. Pat himself?
i thought he was just another wannnabe foreigner that came here and ate the wrong herbs and mushrooms

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

LUXUS
We celebrate St Patrick's day on the 17th of March because that was the day.........he died.
ah I bet you didn't know that, we actually celebrate his death!

I knew that.

Why?

Because he's a Catholic saint ... Ireland is mostly Catholic ... and because the Catholic church
celebrates the date that people ENTER HEAVEN. Being a saint, the Church believes
St. Patrick entered heaven on the day his physical body died. So it's a celebration of his
entrance into the beatific vision of God (Heaven). It's not a celebration of getting rid of him
by his death.

Now .. why do most people celebrate it ... Irish or Catholic or not?
Because it's the start of Springtime ... it's green beer and green snacks ... and because it's fun.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
A druid foretells St paddy's coming to Ireland:

Across the sea will come Adze-head,[46] crazed in the head, his cloak with hole for the head, his stick bent in the head. He will chant impieties from a table in the front of his house; all his people will answer: "so be it, so be it

Crazed in the head sounds about right lol

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

tencap77
WOW. That was a close one. I thought you were gonna say that St Patrick was a bad guy! Oh, wait, you weren't talking about Patrick Roy, Head coach for the Avs? My bad. Carry on. If you weren't talking about Patrick Roy who were you talking about? Oh right. that guy. with the snakes and the preaching. Glad I'm a Pagan. GO AVS !

St patrick won my team 2 stanley cups, but i did not know that the irish spoke french

Go habs

edit on 18-3-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

Patrick was born into a religious family, but was an atheist early in his life. However, he rediscovered his faith while enslaved in Ireland, Freeman told USA TODAY Network.

Anyone else see the Irony... Or coincidence... in a man who descends from those know as Free Man writing a Biography Depiction of a Slave???

Peace everybody!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
St. Patrick was from Armoric Gaul, which makes him Celtic, like the Irish, not British or Roman. In regards to the destruction of history and stones. There may have been other Irish people that did some of this destruction before Christianity existed! The legends recorded in O' Harts "Irish Pedigrees - The Origin of the Irish Nation" includes interesting examples of what happened to the early Irish for worshiping Pagan gods.The 47th Monarch of Ireland named Eanna Dearg died with his court adoring their gods at Sliabh Mis in 880 B.C. Further the 13th Monarch Tigermas (1620 B.C.) died with 2/3rds of the people of Ireland worshiping the Sun God Crom Cruach at Magh Sleaght. The survivors of these incidents may have done some of the destruction in question. They certainly were not friendly deities to worship.

Battle Of the Mounds

St. Patrick

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
files.abovetopsecret.com...

i celebrate it coz we get to drink beer!

and it's the day before my birthday!

dang, can't get the hang of posting pics!
edit on 31235131031pm2014 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Good thread, S+F

I googled Naddreds and found this:

"Halloween...emanates from the 14th century... when the Druids would knock on the doors of the castles demanding the young maiden or princess for their sacrifices. If they were not given the maiden, they would paint a HEXAGRAM on the door to tell...that all should die in that household."

So maybe not such a bad thing they were vanquished, at least from the perspective of innocent young girls in castles!

That would suggest St George (the Dragon slayer) was St Patrick's equivalent on mainland Britain/

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

Do not let the manner in which the day is celebrated go unnoticed either.

Spring harvest, beer festival was popular to the druids, as was the connection between gold and the sun spirit.

Leprechaun = druid dwarf/gnome/fairy
Gold/Rainbow = Gold/Sun
Beer = Spring festival
Green = color of spring

Basically they stole the customs of the druids, killed them off, and named the day of their festival after the very man who did these acts....

Mardigras is also a version of this Spring Harvest beer festival stolen from another group of pagans (Roman Sun Worship).

God Bless,

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I saw a replica of St. Patrick in a museum in Glasgow, Scotland!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join