It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 123% of Sevastopol residents vote to join Russia!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

tencap77

Xcathdra

tencap77
it begs the question, why even keep NATO?

Enemy at the gates: Russia rolls in the tanks, armored personnel carriers

Russia Is Preparing to Invade East Ukraine, Estonia Says

Former Soviet borders are being reconsidered - Pravda

Putin questioned the legality of the withdrawal of Ukraine from the USSR, the former head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people

You tell me.

I just did. Spending 1 red cent on the "defence" of Europe is NOT WORTH it. he world is different now. Sending our troops to places like Iraq, A-stan, or Europe is POINTLESS. The Europeans have this thing called the EU. That stands for "European Union" right? What part of the USA is in Europe? NONE. Let them take care of they're own problems. We have enough of our own. Plus we have excellent NUKES and that's what we really should be importing to Europe !

I tend to let this be a Ukranian - Russian relations problem, not European, it is only a EU problem since they got their fingers in the cookie jar and it slammed shut (same for the US).

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I did wonder what all those pre-filled ballot slips were for that were shown on the BBC news in the days running up to the referendum...

I guess we know now (they all had the top "be part of Russia" box checked)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Elysarian
I did wonder what all those pre-filled ballot slips were for that were shown on the BBC news in the days running up to the referendum...

Can you show the link to the images please.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Elysarian

While I have seen the photos in question, has it ever been confirmed?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Xcathdra

Elysarian

While I have seen the photos in question, has it ever been confirmed?

I believe somebody earlier said it was the cover of the box of ballots with an EXAMPLE on how to fill them in.

Would not supprise me as things tend to get twisted to suit the story.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I just don't understand why they would rig the election. It looked pretty clear even from western media sources, that the vast majority would vote to return to Russia. What was the voting status of the 25,000 Russian soldiers legally present at the Russian naval base in Crimea?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by Xcathdra

123%
Seems legit

This election did better than North Korea.
Great Leader Jr only got 100%

What about Romney getting 0% in more than 50 urban precincts, while Obama got like 99% in others.

Democracy is a wonderful thing.

lol

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

woodwardjnr
What was the voting status of the 25,000 Russian soldiers legally present at the Russian naval base in Crimea?

Not an Expert but they should be able to vote in Russian elections.

edit on 17-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This attempts to explain it away....

Russia's Crimea Ballot Fraud that Wasn't

The Crimea will host a referendum this Sunday, March 16, 2014, to determine whether the autonomous republic will remain in Ukraine under expanded autonomy or ask to be absorbed into the Russian Federation. For the past two weeks, Ukraine’s new authorities in Kiev have railed against the vote, arguing that the Crimean parliament has no right to pursue secession without the participation of the national government.

Some Russian Internet users are now concluding from images circulating online that Crimean state officials might be planning to exclude their own electorate from the voting process, as well.

On March 12, blogger Rustem Adagamov published photographs from Itar-Tass by Sergei Fadeichev of referendum preparation throughout the Crimea. In one photograph (see above), a young man is moving what appears to be a stack of voting ballots. After Adagamov published the images, observant readers quickly noticed that the cover sheets on the stacks of paper were printed with pro-secession votes already selected.

The website freejournal.biz picked up the chatter on Adagamov’s blog, running a story with the headline, “Ballots in the Crimea Already Filled Out in the Right Place.” The piece also cited a Facebook post by Ukrainian parliament member Oleksandr Briginets, where he reported secondhand information that Russian citizens were being bused into Simferopol to stuff the ballot box in favor of secession. “My mom and many people living in Feodosia saw these buses!!!” Briginets wrote on March 13.

According to Yandex’s blogs search engine, there are 780 separate pingbacks to the freejournal.biz post, meaning that hundreds of Russian bloggers—writing mostly on Vkontakte and Twitter—shared this story, typically expressing their anger about the apparent voter fraud planned for this Sunday.

This is their conclusion -

Upon closer inspection, however, the falsified ballots in the photograph on Adagamov’s blog may in fact be leaflets made by pro-Russia agitators. The same day that Adagamov posted the images, newspaper RBC Daily published its own photograph—a close-up—of the same documents (see above), which it identified as leaflets produced by a local chapter of the Party of Regions.

Click link for remainder of article

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
i would say the international observers would have a more valid opinion then a blogger

Mateusz Piskorski: The referendum has been organized professionally, considering there was very little time for all the institutions to prepare, all the staff for polling stations, for electoral commission.

Everything went like in a professionally prepared country with professionally prepared staff. And this is an interesting point. This indicates that Crimea has already created its own state institutions which are able to work even in such extraordinary conditions, even having such a short time preparing such a huge project – all-national referendum.

So when it comes to the whole evaluation of the referendum, I would like to stress not only that it was very professional but very calm, with all guarantees of safety at polling stations but without too much exposure of police presence at the polling stations, and so on. So very peaceful, calm.

It was organized according not only to the law of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea but also according to most basic, most important international standards.
rt.com...

and yes just like the bbc (brit)or cbc (can), or abc (oz)...state run media

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

woodwardjnr
I just don't understand why they would rig the election. It looked pretty clear even from western media sources, that the vast majority would vote to return to Russia. What was the voting status of the 25,000 Russian soldiers legally present at the Russian naval base in Crimea?

I am looking for the source article so the info below is questionable until I can find it.

One of the issues behind the vote dealt with a poll that was supposedly done in February, specifically asking about Crimea and joining Russia. That poll result was only about 40% of the people in favor of joining Russia. When you get results in the high 90's one wonders what might have changed.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Yet the information used by the blogger came directly from the Crimean official's. Its been repeated in a Russian state media paper as well.

I am not sure why you are going after the blogger, when the information he used came from the Crimean / Russian officials. It does not change the outcome of the 123% for Sevastopol.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I think this is a riot, so many on this site who were bashing the US for supposedly spreading 'Democracy' now come crawling out of the woodwork saying 'Democracy' is a wonderful thing.

Plenty of future fodder...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
after the vote fraud convictions from obamas first primary
im not so certain what the US is spreading is in fact democracy

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Yeah, something is being spread about the Crimea election.

That's for sure

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

SLAYER69

Yeah, something is being spread about the Crimea election.

That's for sure

An interesting observation...

If Crimea election results are true, then where is the threat to the Crimean people Putin kept yammering on about to justify his invasion? According to the results they are non existent in Crimea.
edit on 17-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Xcathdra
This attempts to explain it away....

Russia's Crimea Ballot Fraud that Wasn't

The Crimea will host a referendum this Sunday, March 16, 2014, to determine whether the autonomous republic will remain in Ukraine under expanded autonomy or ask to be absorbed into the Russian Federation. For the past two weeks, Ukraine’s new authorities in Kiev have railed against the vote, arguing that the Crimean parliament has no right to pursue secession without the participation of the national government.

Some Russian Internet users are now concluding from images circulating online that Crimean state officials might be planning to exclude their own electorate from the voting process, as well.

On March 12, blogger Rustem Adagamov published photographs from Itar-Tass by Sergei Fadeichev of referendum preparation throughout the Crimea. In one photograph (see above), a young man is moving what appears to be a stack of voting ballots. After Adagamov published the images, observant readers quickly noticed that the cover sheets on the stacks of paper were printed with pro-secession votes already selected.

The website freejournal.biz picked up the chatter on Adagamov’s blog, running a story with the headline, “Ballots in the Crimea Already Filled Out in the Right Place.” The piece also cited a Facebook post by Ukrainian parliament member Oleksandr Briginets, where he reported secondhand information that Russian citizens were being bused into Simferopol to stuff the ballot box in favor of secession. “My mom and many people living in Feodosia saw these buses!!!” Briginets wrote on March 13.

According to Yandex’s blogs search engine, there are 780 separate pingbacks to the freejournal.biz post, meaning that hundreds of Russian bloggers—writing mostly on Vkontakte and Twitter—shared this story, typically expressing their anger about the apparent voter fraud planned for this Sunday.

This is their conclusion -

Upon closer inspection, however, the falsified ballots in the photograph on Adagamov’s blog may in fact be leaflets made by pro-Russia agitators. The same day that Adagamov posted the images, newspaper RBC Daily published its own photograph—a close-up—of the same documents (see above), which it identified as leaflets produced by a local chapter of the Party of Regions.

Click link for remainder of article

The image there with the big red tick in the box doesn't look like the ones I saw (which I can no longer find as the BBC only seems to keep news on iplayer for 2 days) - those were hand-filled with what looked more like an upper case "V" than a printed check mark.

I'm not discounting the possibility that the BBC pictures were either fake or taken out of context (by myself as the report never mentioned the fact).

Ever since 9/11 I've taken to looking up various news sites before I form an opinion on anything as there is always some bias to whatever source you look at (especially in the case of state owned/sponsored/run ones and those with a particular religious/political/ethnic leaning) - I read RT and Pravda as well as BBC, CNN and Al-Jazeera (the latter appear to be the more neutral on the current situation).

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Elysarian

Relax, those are pamphlets.

The referendum ballots were yellow on the printed side, white backed.

They also were not A4 or Letter in size.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

peck420
reply to post by Elysarian

Relax, those are pamphlets.

The referendum ballots were yellow on the printed side, white backed.

They also were not A4 or Letter in size.

There goes the drama

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
POP QUIZ!

"123% of ATS users like to post their most passionate ideas as soon as possible.

The remaining _____ % prefer to wait until all their chores are done and the dinner dishes are washed."

Correct answer anyone?

Best ATS thread EVER!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join