It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Russia Today be allowed as a legtimate News Source on ATS?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

rigel4
I ask this question seriously.. because RT's reporting is state funded
propaganda.

Their (What are grudgingly called ) news items are fabricated versions
of events that the Kremlin wish to spread to the Western World .

Gullible types in the West use these as news items and links.. thusly
helping propagate the Kremlin lies.

I am asking the board and members if links to RT should be banned in the same way as God Like Productions are.

Both sources are equally false.

Russia Today is funded the same way the BBC & Al jazeera are.
So yes it should be allowed

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

No, RT, nor any other news source that isn't totally proven to be a repetitive source of hoaxes should not be banned.

My reasoning:
1) There could be Russian ATS users who find RT to be credible,
2) Just because a source may state something Anti-Western doesn't mean that it is true (tests of evidence should be applied critically by reader and writer); in fact this could be used in deconstructing disinformation,
3) Consider a case of something like distorted reports/failure to report by the Western MSM --Would it not be responsible to at least analyze the information by a source like RT,
4) Event specific reporting. I don't normally look at Xinhua but have recently because the majority of passengers on the MAS flight are Chinese

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Corruption Exposed
I believe that he was offended since his opinion was challenged. But that is just my opinion

Assumptive.
He hasn't replied to your reply yet...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
edit on Sun, 16 Mar 2014 14:59:15 -0500592America/ChicagoSunday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Absolutely yes.

How could you suggest a respected news agency ought to be banned simply because you don't agree with what they report?

Very Orwellian position.

What RT report may be reported with bias, but what they report can be traced and verified, generally a hell of a lot more accurately than any other so-called MSM 'news' agency i've heard of.

CNN...FOX...SKY..MSNBC all have obvious bias and report accordingly, as we all well know and discuss around here hundreds of times a day.

Even to a large extent these days the BBC, who are essentially the flip-flopping state propaganda arm of whichever flavour of Government happens to be in the UK, but were once regarded as pretty honourable and straight up have also slipped down the greasy pole of sensasionalist propaganda and away from unbiased and accurate reporting i'm sorry to say.

RT may be biased, but they are in my opinion a very valuable counter to the more traditional MSM outlets and their cringe-worthy and transparent agenda driven offerings, and somewhat of an antidote to their patronising drivel..a refreshing change IMO and pretty much is the only 'MSM' news service i can stomach to watch with any regularity without feeling a sense of raw disgust.

So yes, they are a credible news service.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

SLAYER69

Corruption Exposed
I believe that he was offended since his opinion was challenged. But that is just my opinion

Assumptive.
He hasn't replied to your reply yet...

Assumptive?

You obviously missed the part where I originally replied to his post, he replied to mine where I replied back, it's quite simple really, are you confused?

You must be feeling a wee bit tipsy...it's okay I forgive you.

Happy St Patrick's day eve

ETA:

Here it is just in case you missed it - the thread is moving sooooo fast and all...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3/16/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I don't drink.

Bottoms up and you know what I meant.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't drink.

Bottoms up and you know what I meant.

I am glad you finally quit drinking, congrats

And no, I actually have absolutely no idea what you meant as it made no sense whatsoever.

Please elaborate?

Oh, don't forget that the NSA has your selfies

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Corruption Exposed
Oh, don't forget that the NSA has your selfies

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

All US media is state ran propaganda also

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Ahhh, Lady, but they'd attack him too today. Or own him, depending on how the argument goes. Prison Planet called him a globalist shill when he passed. Sad world when you can't trust.

reply to post by SLAYER69

Behave. No...don't....
edit on 3/16/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Russian RT Journalist quits over not just the blatant propaganda on Russia Today but the uncontrolled "fabrication" of stories without any checks.

Russian journalist Dmitriy Kiselev quit his job as General Director of the International Media Agency ‘Russia Today.’ The reason for his resignation he provided was the excessive propaganda and complete lack of objectivity in Russian media. He wrote about this on his Facebook page.

“What the Russian media are showing now is too much,” stated Dmitriy Kiselev. “I think that in the state’s int...erests it is possible and even necessary to provide information under a certain angel. This is normal international practice: show something, omit something. But when reality is not just distorted, but completely created in the news, just like what is happening in the news about Ukraine – it’s too much! I will not participate in this.”

Aside from this, Kiselev asked for forgiveness from Ukrainian citizens regarding the last three days of his work. “I did not see how I have stepped over the limit. I feel guilty for the last three days of the media under my control. Forgive me, Ukrainian citizens,” noted the journalist.

Also Dmitriy Kiselev stated that he would not be opposed to working in Belarus: “There TV also serves the purpose of propaganda and not classic mass media, but in Belarus at least they distort the truth and not just create it.”

In conclusion the former General Director of ‘Russia Today’ expressed his support for the editorial committee of Lenta.ru (which a few days ago had their editor-in-chief replaces by someone controlled by the Kremlin) and called for the journalists who had resigned to go to Belarus together.

We remind you that lately the Russian mass media have been reporting that Yatseniuk secretly exported Scythian gold to the US, Olexander Muzychko, a.k.a. Sasha Beliy, was running for President of Ukraine, and Russian space satellites were attacked from Western Ukrainian territories. - uareview.com

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

With that logic. If we are to ban RT because it is state funded, we would then have to ban the CBC as well. Why trust any of it? Use your brain and take responsibility for what you think and do. Jesus Christ! You are an adult human are you not?!?!?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Of course.

To use that logic, the BBC, CBC, NPR etc. would have to go as well. Much of the American news media can be just as politically driven. You only have to watch a night of FoxNews, MSNBC, CNN etc. to wonder if they are really reporting on the same stories.

With everything, it requires a vigilant and discerning viewer to determine what is news and what is propaganda.

RT provides a different perspective from a different region.

The more varied the news outlets, the harder it is to hide things or keep them quiet.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Melbourne_Militia
Russian RT Journalist quits over not just the blatant propaganda on Russia Today but the uncontrolled "fabrication" of stories without any checks.

Russian journalist Dmitriy Kiselev quit his job as General Director of the International Media Agency ‘Russia Today.’ The reason for his resignation he provided was the excessive propaganda and complete lack of objectivity in Russian media. He wrote about this on his Facebook page.

“What the Russian media are showing now is too much,” stated Dmitriy Kiselev. “I think that in the state’s int...erests it is possible and even necessary to provide information under a certain angel. This is normal international practice: show something, omit something. But when reality is not just distorted, but completely created in the news, just like what is happening in the news about Ukraine – it’s too much! I will not participate in this.”

Aside from this, Kiselev asked for forgiveness from Ukrainian citizens regarding the last three days of his work. “I did not see how I have stepped over the limit. I feel guilty for the last three days of the media under my control. Forgive me, Ukrainian citizens,” noted the journalist.

Also Dmitriy Kiselev stated that he would not be opposed to working in Belarus: “There TV also serves the purpose of propaganda and not classic mass media, but in Belarus at least they distort the truth and not just create it.”

In conclusion the former General Director of ‘Russia Today’ expressed his support for the editorial committee of Lenta.ru (which a few days ago had their editor-in-chief replaces by someone controlled by the Kremlin) and called for the journalists who had resigned to go to Belarus together.

We remind you that lately the Russian mass media have been reporting that Yatseniuk secretly exported Scythian gold to the US, Olexander Muzychko, a.k.a. Sasha Beliy, was running for President of Ukraine, and Russian space satellites were attacked from Western Ukrainian territories. - uareview.com

THIS ^ Is why it is different from other mass media.

Some of you need to go back and read my earlier posts in this thread..
I'm not going to repeat myself over and over.. It is blatantly obvious
you have not read anything other than the OP's title.

edit on Mon, 17 Mar 2014 03:23:57 -0500233America/ChicagoMonday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Sparkymedic
Use your brain and take responsibility for what you think and do. Jesus Christ! You are an adult human are you not?!?!?

Taking responsability us so out of time now...Everyone is special, or had special upbringings, or is a minority group, or "everyone is a winner". So no, they wont take responsibility.
As said before, when you start banning western media, can you start banning eastern media.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
yes.. RT should be... So should VOK and al jazeera.....

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Melbourne_Militia

rigel4
THIS ^ Is why it is different from other mass media.

Some of you need to go back and read my earlier posts in this thread..
I'm not going to repeat myself over and over.. It is blatantly obvious
you have not read anything other than the OP's title.

And western media does the exact same thing.
How many times has there been threads on ATS showing fabricated rallies, firefights and so on in conflicts in the middle east etc?

Also

Both sides are in propaganda mode
edit on 18/3/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I bring my old thread back for a bump.

Really for the attention of Skeptic Overlord.

RT can not be seriously used as a news source.

There is absolutely no possibility of fair reporting.

Russia Today is the voice of the Kremlin.

I vote it be banned in the same as Scorcha etc.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

I ask this question seriously.. because RT's reporting is state funded

So RussiaToday is State Funded what is CNN, FOX News then? not state funded? if you had seen CNN today they went full blown Anti Russian plane.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join