It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to the ACA site to get an idea of my cost for affordable healthcare.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

pre existing contitions are covered?

Obama's Pre-existing Conditions Whopper...

...Obama’s Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) incredibly determined that almost half the American population could be ineligible for health insurance due to a preexisting condition. This sure sounds like a crisis, but the HHS simply counted all Americans with asthma, bad backs, diabetes, hypertension, and other chronic diseases that theoretically could be a reason to deny coverage or charge a higher premium
www.forbes.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Yes. That article is talking about pre-ACA plans. The ACA requires that pre-existing conditions be covered by new plans.

www.healthcare.gov...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

If you continue to read that article, it states that the government, and Obama lied, that 150 million Americans did not have pre-existing conditions, only 1.5 million did.

Of the remainder, they had already purchased private health insurance, and he stated they were unable to determine how many with multiple chronic conditions may have been counted multiple times.

So, essentially, he overhauled the entire healthcare system for 1/2 of 1 % of the population.

In the comments, even someone managed to call out the author, stating that even of that 1.5 million, many of them with chronic diseases were already on Medicaid and Medicare, lowering that number even more.

The whole article was how the administration used statistics to lie to pass the bill.

Kind of like Joe Wilson who called out Obama, saying, "You lie!", when Obama said illegals will not be covered, when, in fact, in some states, they top the rolls of new enrollments in Medicaid.

edit on 18-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Phage

Yes. That article is talking about pre-ACA plans. The ACA requires that pre-existing conditions be covered by new plans.

www.healthcare.gov...

I kind of don't think you read that article...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Great point. There was a huge sensationalistic drive to sell PPACA.

And many states had pre-existing plans available for many years before obama.aca.....

(from 2011) State High Risk Pool Programs and Enrollment

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

xuenchen

Great point. There was a huge sensationalistic drive to sell PPACA.

And many states had pre-existing plans available for many years before obama.aca.....

(from 2011) State High Risk Pool Programs and Enrollment

The article itself states that of those 150 million Americans with chronic conditions, 94% were already on some sort of Government healthcare or employer provided healthcare or a combination of both, with writers protecting them in cases of chronic illnesses.

Your link is also about Medicaid, which again, is a State funded program. The Feds simply have no place getting involved in healthcare, let alone having to massively lie and deceive to accomplish it.

That's why I said I don't think Phage read the article. It really wasn't about that at all, but about the lies and deception used to pass the law with false and misleading statistics.

If Phage read the article, he sure gave no indication of it in his post.

edit on 18-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Libertygal

Cito
reply to post by sarra1833

You dont have to be 65 to get medicare, I'm 37 and have full medicaid (state) and medicare (federal) medicare pays all but 20% and medicaid pays the final 20% regardless of cost leaving me $0 to pay.

But I filed for disability at age 30, I get free healthcare plus $1000/mo disability income. Which is based on your previous job.

Actually, a couple of things to clarify. Certain illnesses qualify anyone for Medicare, at any age, but it is generally considered for the elderly. However, as I said, certain diseases such as cystic fibrosis, renal failure requiring hemodialysis, and other specific illnesses will qualify a person of any age to have Medicare, as you stated, as the primary, with Medicaid as the secondary to cover that 20%. You generally will qualify for disabiity at the same time, if this is the case. Blind and/or deaf generally qualify by default.

Also, disability is generally based on your work history, not specifically your last job. You can actually get online and request a letter be sent to you every year that shows how many credits that you have earned for your work history. Disability is based on this, as well. Social Security will then mail you a letter every year, based on your tax return, updating your status.

If you do not file taxes, even if you have taxes deducted, your credits will not be updated.

Here is the page that helps explain credits, and how they work.

www.ssa.gov...

This page is how many credits you must have to retire, which is generally 40.

www.ssa.gov...

You can go here to set up your own account and see where you stand on your credits.

www.socialsecurity.gov...

edit on 17-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

Why you posting this to me?

I'm on full disability medicare and medicaid, I get a grand a month as well for my living expenses I'm 37, my income was based on my prior job as I went to court and judge based my medicare income solely on my previous job. My medicare/medicaid full ssi benefits began when I was 30.

I have heart disease a heart attack at 30 and degenerative disk in my back.

Thanks to medicaid and medicare both I have zero copays on anything. I even got a free bipap machine which I went through 4 because those things are so easy to break on their own.

But I got CD of audio transcripts of my court case when judge looked up my previous job, based income on that then approved case

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I kind of don't think you read that article...

Actually, I did. ACA compliant plans cannot exclude pre-existing conditions and the article does not say that they can.

The post which I was replying to:

And the answer is, yes. Pre-existing conditions are covered by ACA compliant plans.
edit on 3/18/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yep, you're correct. Not discounting that.

But, the quote that was posted, and the article that was linked, they really had little to do with that actual question. I kind of expected you to hit on that. I am rather surprised that you did not, in fact. Seems odd of you, but, that's just me, I suppose.

edit on 19-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

But, the quote that was posted, and the article that was linked, they really had little to do with that actual question

You understand that ACA compliant plans cannot exclude pre-existing conditions.
You understand that the article did not say anything contrary.

I guess that means that you understand that under the ACA there are a lot of people who previously could not obtain medical insurance, can. Not that there is not a lot wrong with the law, of course. There is, of course.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Cito

Oh Medicare is great. I was on medicare when I was on disability... when I started working full time again I lost the medicare coverage, but when I was on it they paid for everything I needed.

I did not have any copay to the prosthetic company that specially made the leg braces for me, all the medical equipment I needed, from the wheelchair to a walker to the cane and braces, were all paid for 100%.

My medicines were 2.50 a month for each prescription... my doctors were always willing to work with me when it came to my copay's on medicare sometimes even waiving them because they understood on disability I didn't have much.

I don't understand why anyone needed this obamacare. If you are able to work full time then you are also able to pay for your own insurance same as they make people pay for it through obamacare.

And all insurance companies that I have ever looked into for insurance would pay for preexisting conditions provided you paid for the insurance for 6 months to a year first (depending on the company) before they would begin covering the preexisting medical issues.

I don't think this obamacare is helping or doing anything for even one person.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Phage

But, the quote that was posted, and the article that was linked, they really had little to do with that actual question

You understand that ACA compliant plans cannot exclude pre-existing conditions.
You understand that the article did not say anything contrary.

I guess that means that you understand that under the ACA there are a lot of people who previously could not obtain medical insurance, can. Not that there is not a lot wrong with the law, of course. There is, of course.

Absolutely. However, the article did point out that people that had what could be considered pre-existing conditions already had insurance.

And, that the majority of people with chronic illnesses, which comprises that majority of pre-existing conditions, were on Medicaid and Medicare, which cannot deny coverage to begin with, that's kind of what they are there for.

And then, the government may have even double counted people with multiple chronic conditions, exaggerating the number, thereby falsey inflating the NEED for the ACA to begin with.

But, no, you are correct, insurance companies cannot refuse people based on pre-existing conditions.

It was just not the totality, nor the impact of the article linked, and I find it surprising that you just let that impact slide.

Most people with those types of conditions won't be seeking ACA, they are already covered by taxpayers. So essentially, the point is moot.

Very rarely will someone on government funded healthcare these days actually return to the workplace. It happens, but, rarely. Most move to full disability, and stay there for a lifetime.

And, as was noted in the post above this one, a short non-coverage rider for that condition only, is all that is needed before they will cover someone. Of course, that was also exaggerated.

The factvthat you cannot be denied coverage on a pre-existing condition, nor cancelled.because you have a catastrauphic illness that costs the insurance company a huge overhead are the only two good things about the ACA.

edit on 19-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Libertygal

If you continue to read that article, it states that the government, and Obama lied, that 150 million Americans did not have pre-existing conditions, only 1.5 million did.

What???

WOW...Ignorance celebrated here.

From experience with my wife...are you aware that simply giving birth is a "pre-existing condition"...Insurance companies would deny ANY coverage what-so-ever for a year following childbirth and then EXCLUDE any remote "womanly complications" that might be associated with giving birth...forever...as a pre-existing condition.

You might want to revise that claim.

ALSO....Yes..Pre-ACA...Many of those with Pre-exisiting conditions already had insurance and thus didn't realize their "pre-existing condition" or they did realize their "pre-existing condition" and were stuck at their crappy job desperate not be let go.

But once they lost their job (And hell that didn't happen much during the financial crisis, did it?) they were crap out of luck in purchasing new insurance...And if they were lucky enough to have an insurance company offer them an outrageously priced plan...it would include 100 pages of every "pre-existing" condition that they would refuse future payment/treatment for.

Hell, any level of Diabetes alone is an offense that will outright Deny you coverage altogether under the old system...not even a pre-existing condition waiver, but outright denial of any coverage.

How many Americans have Diabetes? want to revise that number of 1.5M?
edit on 19-3-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Danbones
reply to post by Indigo5

Pre-existing CONDITIONS are covered. Not pre-existing EXPENSES. You can not wait until you are in a car accident, apply for coverage when you get out of the hospital and have it cover your pre-existing bills. It will cover any FUTURE treatment resulting from the accident once the policy is executed and paid for and goes into effect. Otherwise everyone could send a lump of bills from the past decade to their new insurer for re-imbursement.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I REALLY don't know anything about you, but you seem very much to be way over-exaggerating.

Take me for instance. I have degenerative disc disorder, CRPS type 2, severe nerve damage in my legs, and about 8 herniated or bulging discs in my back (at current moment), I have had two back surgeries and now have a bunch of hardware in my back as well.

I was NOT, before Obamacare denied coverage for THESE conditions... I had to wait for 6 months for coverage of my preexisting conditions began... that was it... and that was with Blue Cross and Blue Shield. For just me, to have full coverage insurance through them with minimal deductibles it was 860 a month.

Through Obamacare, I would have outrageous deductibles (in excess of 10,000 a year) and I would be paying about 670 a month. Why? So they can cover me 6 months sooner? lol... not worth it..besides, my medical expenses don't even add up to 10,000 a year... hell they don't usually even add up to 5 thousand, let alone 10.

My mother has had a brain aneurism, she has osteoporosis which has now caused two shattered bones which had to be fused back together, she has had breast cancer not once but twice and is getting older...

Guess what, the insurance she got covered ALL her preexisting conditions after 1 year of paying in and this was all BEFORE Obamacare.

I have never met someone I know who said they were denied any coverage because they were a diabetic either... lol... methinks you exaggerate. Methinks this from experience.

edit on 19-3-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

by the way.. people stayed at their jobs because they could have full coverage insurance for their entire family for 200 or 250 a month because their job paid for the rest.

With Obamacare people will STILL be afraid to leave their jobs, more-so now than ever before, because now if you aren't working or if your job does not have health insurance plans, you have to PAY MORE out of pocket for insurance.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
As for the degenerative disk bity, which I have as well..C5-C7 and L3-L5...with hardware...those are conditions that stabilize. They wait until a year after surgery and then cover...and wow...your policy for just yourself is more than I pay for a family of 4, and like I said...I have spine issues as well. You should shop around. You can choose a comparable deductible on the exchange...see if it is less money.

OpinionatedB
reply to post by Indigo5

I have never met someone I know who said they were denied any coverage because they were a diabetic either... lol... methinks you exaggerate. Methinks this from experience.

No offense, but there is a difference between saying stuff and actually knowing stuff.."Methinks" you just say stuff..

Medical Condition Rejection List

If you have a condition, illness, or injury that is listed on the Medical Condition Rejection List below, you will most likely be declined for individual coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois.

These conditions include, but are not limited to:

AIDS
Alcoholism/Alcohol Abuse (within 7 years)
Angioplasty
Aortic Stenosis
Arteriosclerotic Heart Disease
Ascites (within 5 years)
Bi-Polar Disorder
Boecks Sarcoidosis
By-pass surgery
Cancer (other than skin cancer)/Malignant Melanoma²
Cerebral Vascular Accident
Cerebral Vascular Disease
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (if currently smoking)
Chronic Pancreatitis
Chronic Renal Failure
Cirrhosis of Liver
Coronary Heart Disease
Cushing's Syndrome
Cystic Fibrosis
Diabetes (managed with any type of medication)
Drug Addiction/Abuse (within 5 years)
Fatty Liver (hepatic steatosis) (fully recovered with normal lab results for minimum of 6 months)
Grand Mal Epilepsy (within 5 years)
Heart Attack
Height and Weight (see chart)
Hemodialysis/Peritoneal Dialysis
Hemophilia
HIV
Hodgkins Disease
Huntington's Chorea
Immune Deficiency Syndrome
Leukemia (within 7 years)
Liver Atrophy
Lupus Erythematosus (Systemic)
Multiple Neurofibromatosis (within 7 years)
Multiple Sclerosis
Muscular Dystrophy
Myasthenia Gravis
Myocardial Infarction
Nephrosclerosis
Organic Brain Disorder
Pacemaker
Paget's Disease
Parkinson's Disease
Pending surgery of any kind
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Polycystic Kidney
Pregnancy (current)
Psychotic Disorder
Rheumatic Heart Disease
Stroke
Systemic Scleroderma
Tetralogy of Fallot
Transient Ischemic Attack (within 5 years)
Organ Transplants
Valve Replacement

www.ilhealthagents.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by Indigo5

by the way.. people stayed at their jobs because they could have full coverage insurance for their entire family for 200 or 250 a month because their job paid for the rest.

With Obamacare people will STILL be afraid to leave their jobs, more-so now than ever before, because now if you aren't working or if your job does not have health insurance plans, you have to PAY MORE out of pocket for insurance.

You are confusing "Paying more" ..with being uninsured. Do you know the difference? Cuz someone that has a pre-existing condition amongst anyone in their family can now...I don't know...leave and start a video games developer, like a friend of mine did who's daughter has childhood leukemia. Whereas before he couldn't leave his job without losing coverage for her and not being able to have her receive care.

BTW - I don't enjoy debates with people who don't appear to have basic knowledge of the topic..it leads to False claims and BS in place of facts and logic.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

reply to post by undo

if you've noticed, many who aren't overweight, don't smoke or drink, don't want to pay for someone else's lung transplate, triple bypass heart surgery, diabetic leg amputation or liver operation. so the pressure is put on and then the gov has to step in to fix their original plan - extending it to -- if you are fat, a smoker, a diabetic, or an alcoholic, the good people of the usa don't want you to be covered by their insurance premium payments.

I agree 100%. I take the best multivitamins, Krill oil, workout, stay slim, eat right, heck no I'm not paying for someone elses insurance that sits on the couch eating bon bons and watching soaps! I am so glad I am not part of the ACA system.

Welcome to communism!

Another thing I would like to add I didn't in my prior post is that when you do these tests at a certain point you become eligible for medicaid (that no one takes) so the full insurance premium becomes your responsibility. Which is why the OP got the results the OP got. I would think the website would tell you that. It told me that when I did my testing. So why wasn't it mentioned in the OP's post?

edit on 19-3-2014 by Pimpintology because: of fluoride!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

The condition I have will never stabilize, that's the CRPS... besides the fact my doctors have no clue why I can even walk ... they cannot say for how long before I will be back in a wheelchair either. Unlike you, I was completely paralyzed from the waist down.

If my doctors had their way, they would still be using me for a guinea pig... which I refuse to allow. So no, what is wrong with me will never stabilize... it will as a matter a fact probably get worse again in time. I fight that whole "getting worse again" every single day.

If it were up to my doctors, I would not be working... they seem to think I cannot work. I just beg to differ. The medical issues, the pain clinic visits, and the medicines and varying treatments will continue til the day I die. The only stabilization involved is me refusing most of the guinea pig stuff.

What I know about insurance, is what I know from experience... actual being there kind of experience. I figure that's good enough for me. Obamacare didn't do a damn thing for me, or anyone else I personally know. Someone spouting how great Obamacare is for them I will believe when I meet someone in person that says they save money or have had it benefit them in some way.

Having to pay out of pocket for over 10,000 worth of medical care each year before they will cover even one bill, on top of my paying out almost 700 a month for it... does me not one damn bit of good... at least with blue cross if I paid out the 860 a month all I had to pay were small copay's here and there. NOT so with Obamacare...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join