It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to the ACA site to get an idea of my cost for affordable healthcare.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

That makes me feel better.

I just also loathe (and many feel this way too) of having to get something I'll probably never use. It's like paying to exist (though we do that anyway to be point blank honest). Sure, I see the good in the whole 'just in case' theory - but if we had the option to purchase insurance when we start getting issues, get them taken care of then put a halt on the insurance til next time, that'd be better. I know that idea is easier said than done of course, for myriad of reasons. I'm just looking at my own medical history. Born in 73, had first operation ever in my entire life (major operation) in april '13. That's it. I mean I had a minor surgery few months before that to see what needed to be done for the major, but come on. in 40 years I've had only one major and one minor issue. To me it's pointless to pay for somethng when I'm overall healthy and never get injured to the point I need surgery to save myself. If I'd had insurance i was paying for from say 18 to 40, what a WASTE!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I totally agree with you.

I have a bigger issue with it as my hour potential got cut to NOTHING. I can only work 29 hours a week now, no matter what. That dropped my income by an unknown amount. It also puts my company in a bind as they will have to employ 2 more part time people...

So not only do I have to buy insurance I will most likely never use, but I also have had to take a cut in hours...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

That travesty is hitting more and more people also and it disgusts me to no end.

I wish I had the answer to fix it all, but everything I come up with is simple and to the point. Definitely NOTHING anyone 'in charge' would take to heart and do. Swear us non govt folk understand what's going on and have the best solutions where everyone wins - but of course they'll never do that. Ever.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
And remember, these numbers are based on what you earned 'last' year, not current income so if you're unemployed, or worse, you're screwed even more.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Proof is in the pictures right up there. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this. Now either that page on the ACA site is jacked up and wrong (and I'm SURE a few folk on here will try and point that out to me) but I'm really truly doubting it.

Did you do the "See plans before I buy" option? Because that gave me an entirely different response than when I actually bit the bullet and signed up. Last year I was a student, so I only worked a minimum wage job, part time and made around $6,200. The "before you buy" option gave me an entirely different answer, telling me that I would likely qualify for a $500.00 per year tax credit.

When I actually signed up for health insurance, I got a $2,400 tax credit which knocks down my monthly dues on a pretty decent plan to around $78 a month.

Not saying that it will definitely change, but it could be an error in the "before you buy" system, if that's the route you did this.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Obamacare sure isn`t living up to what we were told it would be, I think they need to go back and refigure the numbers.

Because of the way obamacare is written and set up my daughter who is a college student and has no job and no income will have to pay $12,000 a year for insurance with no subsidy and a $5,000 deductable. How is it afforadable healthcare when a person with no money and no job has to pay $17,000 a year for health insurance?
There is a major flaw in the way they calculate how much people have to pay.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
After reading stuff like this I feel really blessed to be a Canadian and I pay nothing for what I consider to be first rate health care. I'm 32 and have had 3 kids a brother who almost died in a fire and was given a 50% chance to live. My 3 kids deliveries and hospital stay, my tonsils and my brother was air lifted to Sunnybrook in Toronto for what I was told was one of the most advanced trauma centers for burns in the world. Wonder how much my family would be in debt for that or have to pay insurance for.

I can't for the life of me fathom how having to pay for health care in a wealthy country is a good thing. Any money that goes to insurance companies is just wasted imo and if a gov can spend almost half the GDP on death and war why can't they take care of their tax paying citizens? The US system makes no sense to me.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Well, something doesn't make sense.

Because I got a 2/3 tax credit, and I made last year what you claim you make.

ETA: Being, for a decent (silver) plan ($300 a month), coverage & benefits comparable to my current plan (which went up to ($300) to meet with ACA guidelines) I got $200 a month credited off. And happen to get a better plan with no deductible, little copay, etc.

:/

edit on 17-3-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
As an ObamaCare enroller and health insurance broker for the past 14 years, I have people tell me all the time that the $6,000 Out-of-Pocket is too much for them to pay for medical care. A couple of points in this regard...

1. If you go to the E.R. truly sick, or with an injury that needs tests, you will likely hit your $6,000 O.O.P. in just a few hours.
2. Paying off a $6,000 medical bill over XX years is easier than paying off a $30,000 medical bill over XX years.
3. If you have a taxable income, or assets that you don't need for living day-to-day, bill collectors hired by the medical provider(s) will come after you with forced wage and/or asset garnishment.
4. However, if your state allows "good faith" payments to be made, you can stave off the bill collection efforts by sending in a minimum amount of $$$ periodically to pay-off your debt. But I THINK a database of "medical dead beats" is being constructed on the back-end of the new electronic reporting initiative. You will not get good quality care if you're on that list and you don't have major medical insurance.
-cwm

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

sarra1833
reply to post by undo

I just moved here. I haven't the funds to move again.

It's amazing how fast average people like you will swallow up talking points and blame Obama or the ACA for the lack of medicare in their states - which is something the states have to accept. Many republican run states have refused that to make a point.

So, go ahead, vote R because it appears to you that the D's screwed u over on the ACA. When the R's get back into power and repeal the ACA we'll be back to nobody getting affordable coverage, and people who do get coverage (on a cut-rate policy with huge deductibles and minimal services) being dropped for pre-existing conditions when they need to use said useless policies. You know, like having your tonsils removed when you were 10, which is why they refuse your cancer treatment at 45.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
First the GOOD NEWS!
ILLINOIS expanded Medicaid with zeal on 1/1/2014. Anyone who earns under $17,000 per year is now entitled to Free Medical Care 100% paid-for by the State and Federal Government.

But there are 2 sides to every coin...

1. In my county just west of Chicago we have a population of 400,000. There are only 6 physicians that accept Medicaid patients, because Medicaid pays them 40% less than what private insurance does.
2. Since 1/1/2014, over 180,000 Illinois citizens have enrolled in Medicaid.
3. A family of 4 earning less than $50,000 cannot enroll their children in a private health plan through the ObamaCare marketplace. (healthcare.gov). The children MUST either: a) Enroll in Medicaid, or b) Have private non-marketplace health insurance plans purchased for them by their parents @ $151.00 per child, with no financial assistance from Uncle Sam. (i.e. no subsidy)

I see and understand the INTENT of the government with Medicaid expansion, but they forgot to order enough buses to carry all the passengers getting these free tickets. Sadly, the result will be needless suffering and death of both adults and our precious children.
-cwm

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
While going through some boxes in my parents' attic recently I found a box of their financial records from 1963. For our family of four the cost of their Blue Cross/Blue Shield was $63.00/yr.
When I bought my first family plan from BC/BS in 1972 I was paying $8.00/month or $96/yr.
When I got my premium notice (for coverage of just me, not a family plan) in 2012 the bill was $7200.00/yr. up 33% from the previous year. In all the years I'd had the policy, since I retired in 2006, I had never had a claim, never met the deductibe. In 2006 I had paid $2300.00/yr. for the high deducible, HSA policy. I never had a claim but did use the HSA to pay for the "alternative" medical care that I use.
I decided to opt out of health insurance. I put the money I would have used for the premium in an account and still have money in that account for my "alternative" care. I cut a deal with my docs to pay cash for my care upon delivery so I get the same rate as those who are insured.
I'll pay the fine but I won't be held hostage by insurance companies in collusion with government.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The OP's problem is one of state level politics and shows one of the issues with allowing more power to the states (not a notion I completely disagree with, but there are disadvantages too). Because the Republicans were unable to oppose Obamacare in congress, and lost an election where it was the central issue they switched to the tactic of opposing it through the states by not expanding Medicaid. The OP, myself, and every other poor person out there are having our lives and health used as a political bargaining chip. Welcome to politics I guess. It's not right, but it's what happens when mediocre politicians have to resort to appeals to emotion in order to push their agenda.

It's not going to end either until we accept that there are really only two solutions: Single payer where everyone is covered, at a high cost or we revert to the previous system where medical problems can completely bankrupt a person despite insurance, and most of us only obtain insurance through the whim of our employer to offer it... and then are limited to what they decide we should have as far as options go.

In my opinion what we should do is move to single payer, but fund each county independently. Health risks are largely regional issues depending on a multitude of factors, so the pool in one county will look different than another county. At that point we let insurance companies figure out what their annual cost will be to offer comprehensive coverage for everyone in a county, and let them bid against each other (at the county level this also assures there's lots of opportunity for competition). At this point taxes are collected with a lower tax available in exchange for a higher deductible. Let the voters decide on a regional basis what they want the maximum deductible to be. Let the tax tables sort out the costs for this, and for the very poor who can't afford a deductible or a tax, offer a subsidy through Medicaid (like now) to cover it.

In my opinion that would strike the balance between obtaining private sector efficiencies while being able to cover everyone. It certainly wouldn't be cheap, nothing that covers everyone can be. But it would be better than what we have now.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

sarra1833
reply to post by ~Lucidity

That makes me feel better.

I just also loathe (and many feel this way too) of having to get something I'll probably never use. It's like paying to exist (though we do that anyway to be point blank honest).

Not to be pointed, but who the heck ever thinks they will get cancer? Who thinks to themselves...today some drunk idiot is going to sideswipe me at 80 miles an hour on the expressway? Who predicts that they will step on that patch of ice in just the wrong way and crack their skull? NOBODY thinks ...I am going to need health insurance more than ever today. And when those surprises happen and the 10k-200k or more in bills pile-up, you might declare bankruptcy, but everyone else who buys a policy just-in-case is penalized with higher rates to cover those people that default on what they owe.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

But, you seem to have forgotten, the ACA is the only insurance you can now buy at the time you need it, retroactively.

So, the person who doesn't think they need it, that slips on the ice and cracks their skull, can now buy healthcare the day they get injured or sick.

Again, allow me to point out the fact that if they are instantly also considered to be catastrophically injured, it wouldn't matter, they would be automatically registered for State Medicaid anyway, and depending on the situation, Federal Medicare.

Which we are taxed for on our paychecks every day. For the lower income middle class, this would actually be the more feaseable way to go, as per the conversation in the earlier part of the thread with the person that had crappy insurance and got stuck paying bills for years.

Also, a current misnomer, unless I am misunderstanding something, the fine is always quoted to be 97 dollars. That is not truth. It is actually 10% of your total income, and will increase each year.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Libertygal

Also, a current misnomer, unless I am misunderstanding something, the fine is always quoted to be 97 dollars. That is not truth. It is actually 10% of your total income, and will increase each year.

PLEASE...don't just claim stuff. People are looking for actual facts and we are supposed to deny ignorance?

No..Not 10%

The fine is 1%

$95 dollars or

1% of your yearly household income. (Only the amount of income above the tax filing threshold, $10,150 for an individual, is used to calculate the penalty.)

The way the penalty is calculated, a single adult with household income below $19,650 would pay the $95 flat rate. A single adult with household income above $19,650 would pay an amount based on the 1 percent rate. (If income is below $10,150, no penalty is owed.)

So if you make 40,000...the fine is 40,000-10,150 x .01...otherwise around $285 dollars

If you make $19,650 or less it is $95 dollars

If you make less than $10,150...the fine is zero.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Libertygal
reply to post by Indigo5

But, you seem to have forgotten, the ACA is the only insurance you can now buy at the time you need it, retroactively.

So, the person who doesn't think they need it, that slips on the ice and cracks their skull, can now buy healthcare the day they get injured or sick.

ACA isn't "insurance" it is a law. The insurance sold on Healthcare.gov is issued by BCBS et al.

Yes, pre-existing conditions are covered...pre-existing expenses, not so much. So if folks want to shop for insurance while bleeding from the head, have at it. Aside from that, the penalties from the bravely stupid folks who don't buy insurance until calamity strikes will off-set some general expense.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

calstorm
reply to post by Domo1

She lives in a state that did not expand medicaid.

if she does live in one of those states, than this is not Obama's fault...this is why so many REPUBLICAN governors refuse to except the Medicaid money paid for by the federal government....they want their poorest people to get screwed out of healthcare (as usual)...and they have the added benefits of showing how the ACA doesn't work (great sound bites for the elections) and they will have people pissed off at Obama.....they love to have the poor suffer, and the first black president to get blamed for it.....this is on top of the voter suppression, laws against abortion, laws against birth control, etc......the republican party has turned into the party of "f ewe, I got mine"
edit on 18-3-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I have medical issues for which I take medicine every single day, and see the doctor at least once every three months and occasionally twice in a three month period, and see the pain clinic once a year for a visit or two.

Paying for all this out of pocket is CHEAPER than paying for insurance..Seriously... They can throw me in jail if they want, but I would rather just pay my doctor and the lab and the hospital and pharmacy because it saves me money...

That is sad.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

problem is Opi, the IRS will get everyone in their iron sights...
and then in irons
which is what obamacare is really about

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join