It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. aims to give up control over Internet administration

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

U.S. officials announced plans Friday to
relinquish federal government control
over the administration of the Internet, a
move likely to please international critics
but alarm some business leaders and
others who rely on smooth functioning of
the Web.
(snip)
“The timing is right to start the transition
process,” said Lawrence E. Strickling,
assistant secretary of commerce for
communications and information. “We
look forward to ICANN convening
stakeholders across the global Internet
community to craft an appropriate
transition plan.”

U.S. aims to give up U.S. aims to give up control over Internet control over Internet administration

There go the last vestiges of interest in the internet, DARPA, a once military design, made to maintain stability in times of war.

Now, a commercial interest, overrun by corporations, many which have moved offshore. Could this be part and parcel why, or, is this just one more step to advance the 'New World Order'?

We know it's coming...

Is this small potatoes, or, is this something to be concerned about? Who has the right to give up our rights?

They say some coporations are concerned, but I imagine those with the largest stakes, offshore, are thrilled.

Transformation is due to begin March 24, 2014.

edit on 14-3-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: fixed thread title

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Time for a reliable and more free people friendly underground internet, that is what we need now, and independent internet to rival the very soon to become another corporate control monopoly.

Internet as we know it is for sell.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I wonder...when the give aways, walk aways and off shoring is done ...by our own elected officials, with our own national interests...will we be allowed to keep anything or do our own leaders really hate us this much?

Every day I see another story or three about new concessions made here or there, new cuts to please others or like this? Something the US literally created from nothing, developed and supported throughout.

Carter gave away the Panama Canal.....and Obama gave the Internet to the corporate profit machines? What proud legacies these men aspire to. (sigh)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The only problem is, you still have to run through backbone support, you cannot avoid it, unless we revert way back to FIDO net type systems where systems are direct contact by peer to peer networking, like the old BBS days.

If there is a more coventional way, I don't know it, but that's the goto system for SHTF type scenarios as far as I understand.

I found another article with an interesting quote,

The announcement "is beginning the process of
transferring additional domain name functions to ICANN is the next phase in this transition" and is "consistent with other efforts the U.S. and our allies are making to promote a free and open Internet, and to preserve and advance the current multi-stakeholder model of global
Internet governance," Rockefeller said.

thehill.com...

Who is surprised to see that name pop up, raise your hand?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

While you are right and I know angry like me , at what is going on and done against us the tax payers in the nation, sometimes we forget that America has become a nothing more than a capitalistic corrupted entity where everything is for sell including us the citizens, the ones selling us are those that have position themselves with our tax dollars and votes into an elite that have no association with the people that they are suppose to serve.

The same way that the government is open in the auction block to foreign interest for sell so are we the people and all that once use to belong to us as sovereign citizens..

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Got to love the Friday night news dumps, eh? My husband was playing with a new phone he got from work, and hit up Drudge. There it was.

We are giving up, giving in, on everything, because Obama said the U.S. cannot be number one forever, it's time someone else got a chance. Really?

When, at any other time in our history, would this type of sentiment be nearly alright? And barely anyone blinked.

I am beyond words anymore. As posted in another thread, worn down, tired.

link   
reply to post by Libertygal

I understand but remember that is how the once free internet was born, sadly the fancy words use in the link is nothing more and nothing else that a way to deceive the gullible into believing that internet once it falls in the greedy hands of the corporate corruption for profit making is going to stay free.

No so, if the profits falls internet will be sold and sold over and over again until it will become nothing but a shell of what used to be free for all information exchange.

Perhaps time to start all over again.

link   

Read this a little earlier and frankly still trying to figure out the ramifications of doing this.

On one hand why give over control of anything if you don't have to. On the other hand anything that puts fear into the heart of the multinational corporations could be a good thing. On the other-other hand letting international politically motivated people get control of this doesn't sound good.

Guess I'll go with we should have kept it.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

In lame terms we the people have to bend over so the profiteers can make their money.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Well, two things come instantly to mind.

Loss of freedom due to censorship, we no longer have a say in keeping it free.

And, taxation on usage, charges, fees, penalties. Ways to make money on usage, rather than being free or largely so. Got to have a way to pay milions in salaries now, to those new 'governances', for think tanks and upkeep!

I am certain others can come up with other ramifications, but those are the top two, right off the top of my head.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Libertygal
reply to post by Bassago

Loss of freedom due to censorship, we no longer have a say in keeping it free.

And, taxation on usage, charges, fees, penalties. Ways to make money on usage, rather than being free or largely so. Got to have a way to pay milions in salaries now, to those new 'governances', for think tanks and upkeep!

I am certain others can come up with other ramifications, but those are the top two, right off the top of my head.

Bingo, you got it girl, money, money and profits.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This will destroy the internet. I have already checked on early termination fees on my service. It is time to check out. I can see mission creep with the UN in control of the net. Imagine being extradited cause you said something to offend someone in a foreign country.I could see that happening in a few years time.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Oooh, that's an interesting thought! I hadn't even considered that, and you have an excellent point!

This has happened, in other countries, where people have offended Muslims, or said things that offended government in China.

I knew the bright minds on ATS would come up with other ideas.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

The thing that gets me from the whole article is, who gave Obama and the government the right to own the internet and sell it as it seems fit.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

marg6043

The thing that gets me from the whole article is, who gave Obama and the government the right to own the internet and sell it as it seems fit.

This seems to more of the Dictator in Chief, with his cellphone and exexutive orders, but keep in mind the name I bolded above, as well.

Rockefeller.

People keep saying Obama is just a puppet. Could it be his puppetteer outted himself in the Friday news dump, so easily?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

marg6043
Time for a reliable and more free people friendly underground internet, that is what we need now, and independent internet to rival the very soon to become another corporate control monopoly.

I watched a docu a little while ago that worried me, but it gives me an idea now! The docu was about the en es ay using peoples wireless routers as a secret net work! I'm not sure what its like where you are, but over here in the uk the vast majority of people get their internet from BT. BT supply their customers with a free router. The router has a second channel that offers wirless acces to the internet to anyone within range that has a password. The docu I watched said the en es ay use this wireless network like a private internet.

My point is that a secondary network already exists, its the wirless network. If it was rigged so that it worked like the sharing networks, where everyone is part of the system, then we could infact have a completely free and open internet. It would need a few relays here and there but I'm sure it could work.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yea.Who gave him the authority to do any of the illegal things he has been doing. Answer: Congress (by doing nothing to stop it) If you don't vote in the midterms and vote every incumbent out ultimately it will be the peoples fault.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I had not idea of how it works in the UK, here is a service and as usual you pay for it and you may or may not have many providers depending where you are located in the nation, still we also have satellites, and phone towers and many smaller cellular phone providers are able to provide cheaper prices because they tap into the existing towers that belong to the bigger companies.

I wonder if something like that can be done with an alternative net.

Now let me explain that I am not a communications guru and I am pretty green when it comes to the workings of the modern internet.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm confused..

WHO are they giving control To?

ICANN is going to help make the transition it says but it seems as it reads - like they are just a middle man. Who is getting this control and why? How will this effect everyday users like me?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I am wondering the same thing too, to whom they are selling, China? who have the power to do that? who has appointed whom to own the net and have it for sell, I wonder.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join