It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist Church Is Set to Launch in Several New Cities

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

happinness
reply to post by CB328

Confused? We must believe in something to survive, we must have dreams, something to keep the old grey matter going or we would be sterile ... that's exactly what they want us to be STERILE!! Might take a few generations, but imagine the consequences?

Please explain the benefits the elite would get from sterilizing the population? I fail to see how the elite can remain elite if they let the people they lord over die off. Once the people die off, they stop being elite and just become average again.

1984 - George Orwell or The Prisoner???

As a little tot, I was upset to find out one day that my Dad was going to chop down our apple tree. He said it was old and warn out and diseased and not giving us apples. Upset I went down the garden and hugged the tree and told it Daddy was going to chop it down. I told my Dad and he laughed and said ok if it gives us apples this autumn he would leave it. Yes I know its funny, but I told the tree that too.
Sure enough that autumn my wonderful apple tree gave us an abundance of cooking apples! My Dad was stunned and put it down to coincidence. But, was it coincidence? You need to have some kind of belief system in your heart or there is no point in living and there would be no point to love. hx

Do you have any proof of this claim that we need to believe in something to survive? I mean your entire life philosophy revolves around some primal need for humans to believe in a god. So in your mind humans are designed to be lorded over by another entity (god). Without this entity, humans are lost and will die off? You might as well just accept the elite as your overlords, after all we need to be lorded over anyways.

You just need to let go of the paradigms of the past. Humans don't need to believe in anything to survive. I'm agnostic, which literally means that I don't have a committed belief in something by saying I don't know what is or isn't true. I haven't dropped dead yet.

All your arguments are without logic. You fail to provide no logical reasoning for humans' need to believe other than some loose scare tactic saying that humans will die out without a god. Poppycock.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Maybe they could come up with something original to celebrate nothing.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Maybe they are celebrating humanity?.

Humanity FTW!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

flice
reply to post by CB328

Most likely this move is a christian propaganda move.

Back in the Roman empire at their height of power they were still having problems with the militant jews that refused to live under the roman emperors. Contrary to belief the Jesus character was not based on an all kind cheek turning public speaker but a highly volatile aggressive leader of the jews.
The romans couldnt crush these jews so the only way to defeat them was to take their values and ideals, water them out and recycle them for less. The result was christianity..... A politically manufactured fictional text that would serve to enslave those who werelikely to become jewish followers to accept this light version or the religion.
The romans were very succesful. Maybe even a bit too much since we have quite a few number of psychos believing in these fairytales to this day.

The same thing appears to be going on now..... Take atheism, water it out and turn it into a religion.

A true atheist would never induldge in mindless religiouslike gatherings. Its against the very concept of atheism.
Atheism comes from understanding and accepting the very nature of the universe.

Dont turn atheism into Scientology!!

too late.

the atheists screwed the pooch in 97'.

lol! hey, it could be worse, in the future!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

boymonkey74

Humanity FTW!!!

Oh yes, humanity.

This is nothing new, its all been done before, with horrific results.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 073131p://bMonday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

UltraverseMaximus
"I know the services aren’t for everybody, but there are many atheists who would love to attend a celebration of life like this, one that looks and feels like church and does without any of the fiction and superstition."

This is an interesting quote and I think it has merit.
People like to group and celebrate. Weather it be beers at a mates or some sort of sport it is a relaxing thing to do as a variation of any cycle.

So I am considering that there would be a lot of people who like the idea of what the church brings but do not particularly like the ideas of some religious churches.
100% this is a form of religion, how can it not be, but if they are celebrating life without the superstition and fear how can it be viewed so negatively. It would be no different to any other church group, it would just have different beliefs.

I think it is pretty interesting as it is confusing as all buggery lol
The atheists church lol, labels for labels and features for features. Another head spin of who is right or wrong lol

i suggest you get off the fence.
God or no God?

christians get angry at God also. did you know that?

anyway, an atheist church is a good thing. yes, welcome to our world.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I doesn't matter who or what religious nuts want to scream in the name of God! Your money or hell? Whatever it is, it is their opinion and they are welcome to it. Just walk away like any grown up and not take it to heart.

A humanist here in England gave me the phone number of a so called sleep expert. I called him and he answered straight away as if he was expecting me. I cannot even begin to explain how the conversation went. He basically made me feel like # and blamed the sleep paralysis from the trauma of surgery I had as a child. What trauma? The voice was cold, domineering and not #ing normal!!

I am pretty confident on the phone, but by the end of the conversation I was in tears and did not know why. I had been looking forward to the conversation, as at that time I didn't have a clue what sp was and was hoping this fella could shed some light on it.

Aliens simple as that or their soul agents!! You will see one day ..... hx

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

boymonkey74

Humanity FTW!!!

wouldn't that be some kind of commie-pagan thing?

just humanity? in the name of al gore?

who? just dance around in the woods? nekkid and stuff?

o, a new pepsi commercial! i'd love to change the world!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by happinness

Sleep paralysis does that but it is your mind playing tricks on you, not demons nor aliens.
Your mind panics and makes up what you fear, If you are religious they will be demons etc or If you are into UFOology they will be aliens.
Just because you can't explain it doesn't mean it is supernatural.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

happinness
reply to post by boymonkey74

I doesn't matter who or what religious nuts want to scream in the name of God! Your money or hell? Whatever it is, it is their opinion and they are welcome to it. Just walk away like any grown up and not take it to heart.

A humanist here in England gave me the phone number of a so called sleep expert. I called him and he answered straight away as if he was expecting me. I cannot even begin to explain how the conversation went. He basically made me feel like # and blamed the sleep paralysis from the trauma of surgery I had as a child. What trauma? The voice was cold, domineering and not #ing normal!!

I am pretty confident on the phone, but by the end of the conversation I was in tears and did not know why. I had been looking forward to the conversation, as at that time I didn't have a clue what sp was and was hoping this fella could shed some light on it.

Aliens simple as that or their soul agents!! You will see one day ..... hx

bummer dude, prayers sent.

call back.

free phone call.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

So to celebrate us, humanity is a commie pagan thing?
Thank God we are not a few hundred years ago you would be front of the cue to burn these people.
edit on 10-3-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Oh here is one I never heard before,
The Cult of Reason (French: Culte de la Raison)a was a belief system established in France and intended as a replacement for Christianity during the French Revolution.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

The Cult of Reason was explicitly anthropocentric. Its goal was the perfection of mankind through the attainment of Truth and Liberty, and its guiding principle to this goal was the exercise of the human faculty of Reason. In the manner of conventional religion, it encouraged acts of congregational worship and devotional displays to the ideal of Reason.[2] A careful distinction was always drawn between the rational respect of Reason and the veneration of an idol: "There is one thing that one must not tire telling people," Momoro explained, "Liberty, reason, truth are only abstract beings. They are not gods, for properly speaking, they are part of ourselves."[2]

The overarching theme of the Cult was summarized by Anacharsis Clootz, who declared at the Festival of Reason that henceforward there would be "one God only, Le Peuple."[3] The Cult was intended as a civic religion – inspired by the works of Rousseau, Quatremère de Quincy, and Jacques-Louis David, it presented "an explicit religion of man."[2]

Dechristianisation of France during the French Revolution
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Only in America can you have a church without a god. It's called the oxymoron sect, of the no nothing order, from the society of oblivion.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The Rage Against God
www.haventoday.org...

Part Two: Addressing Atheism: Three Failed Arguments
In the book Hitchens cites atrocities committed under the Khmer Rouge as an example of crimes against humanity perpetrated by atheist states (skulls of victims shown).

In Chapter 9, Hitchens contends that the claim that religion is a source of conflict is a "cruel factual misunderstanding",[15] and that a number of conflicts, including The Troubles and the Arab–Israeli conflict, were not motivated by religion but tribal in nature and disputes over territory.[16] Chapter 10 discusses whether morality can be determined without the concept of God.

Hitchens asserts that atheists "have a fundamental inability to concede that to be effectively absolute, a moral code needs to be beyond human power to alter".[17]

He also describes as flawed his brother's assertion in God is Not Great that "the order to love thy neighbour 'as thyself' is too extreme and too strenuous to be obeyed".[6][18]

Hitchens ends the chapter by stating, "in all my experience in life, I have seldom seen a more powerful argument for the fallen nature of man, and his inability to achieve perfection, than those countries in which man sets himself up to replace God with the State".[19]

Hitchens begins Chapter 11 by asserting, "those who reject God's absolute authority, preferring their own, are far more ready to persecute than Christians have been ... Each revolutionary generation reliably repeats the savagery".

[20] He cites as examples the French revolutionary terror;
the Bolshevik revolution;
the Holodomor and the Soviet famine of 1932–33; the barbarity surrounding Joseph Stalin's five-year plans, repeated in the Great Leap Forward in China;
atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge;

and human rights abuses in Cuba under Fidel Castro. Hitchens then quotes a number of prominent communist thinkers' pronouncements on morality, including George Lukacs stating,

"Communist ethics make it the highest duty to accept the necessity of acting wickedly. This is the greatest sacrifice the revolution asks from us", and Leon Trotsky's claiming that "morality, more than any other form of ideology, has a class character".[21][22]

en.wikipedia.org...

This is proselytizing, the same proselytizing some so hate in the church, I say church because atheist main target is Christianity.
promote, advocate, champion, advance, further, spread, proclaim, peddle, preach, endorse, urge, recommend, boost

youtu.be...

Why is it that you so much want there not to be a god.

So, if some think an atheist society is going to somehow bring about a utopian society, please think again.

Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become "fools" so that you may become wise.

edit on 083131p://bMonday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

wouldn't that be some kind of commie-pagan thing?

Just so I can understand you better, please explain to me exactly what a 'commie-pagan' thing is?

who? just dance around in the woods? nekkid and stuff?

Granted, not for everyone, myself included - but it sounds a damn sight more appealing than going to a formal 'church' and being lectured to and having some sort of dogmatic creed, be it of a Theist or Atheist nature, imposed upon.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MarlinGrace

Only in America can you have a church without a god.....

Err.....as much as it pains me to say this - the current 'Assembly' isn't in America, its in London, UK.

However, the plans are;

Pippa Evans and Sanderson Jones will launch Assemblies in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol, Brighton, Oxford, Cambridge, Milton Keynes, Leeds, Manchester, Dublin and Crystal Palace. In the US, New York, Harvard, Washington DC, Chicago, San Diego, Los Angeles, Silicon Valley and [in Canada] Vancouver. In [Australia:] Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by beansidhe

I used to be like that also

If those people kept their religion in the home or the church I wouldn't have a problem but they do not, they try and put it in government, schools and in the public view.
When you get threatened when you speak out against religion you tend to fight back.
Oh and Iam not an atheist

edit on 10-3-2014 by boymonkey74 because: bloody spell checker and dyslexia

keep it home or to the church?!!

what else? oh yeah, hide it or else!!!

seriously? kiss our blessed ass.

try practicing what you preach. it looked like a church, sounded like a church, it was a church!

the vid was pretty cool, good luck for the next 2000 years!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Just because a church exists for the belief, doesn't mean that everyone of that belief will join it. Personally, I find an atheist church detestable and the first step towards all the problems that organized religion brings to theists. I understand that most of the people who will join these congregations are looking for a place to socialize about like minded topics as well as develop a community much like a theistic religion's community. But I can go to any other number of places to accomplish this without the need to call that place a church.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

crazyewok
Haha

Will dawkins be there messiah?

Will they have little statued of him? Stain glass windows of the flying spagheti monster?

of course! it's a must!

in a couple hundred years maybe they will have their own notre dam.

hey, gotta start somewhere.

right?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

boymonkey74

So to celebrate us, humanity is a commie pagan thing?
Thank God we are not a few hundred years ago you would be front of the cue to burn these people.

yeah if we could catch you, running naked through the woods, hugging trees and mushrooms.

you guys are fast!

if it's just humanity you are celebrating, yeah, go to spring break. or carnival. or mardi gras.

how would you celebrate humanity?

feed some poor people? give them clothes? what's the plan, stan?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join