It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist Church Is Set to Launch in Several New Cities

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This is very interesting, both the growth of atheism and now how there is a religious like segment of the atheist community. I wish they were coming to my area, I would definitely want to check it out.

www.patheos.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

CB328
This is very interesting, both the growth of atheism and now how there is a religious like segment of the atheist community. I wish they were coming to my area, I would definitely want to check it out.

www.patheos.com...

Uhmmm.....isnt that counter intuitive to being...well....atheist?

What are they going to do , sit around and talk about how they dont believe in deities?

Isnt calling it a church, contradictory to the term atheism?

I know the services aren’t for everybody, but there are many atheists who would love to attend a celebration of life like this, one that looks and feels like church and does without any of the fiction and superstition.

LoL.....wow
edit on 10-3-2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
1. oxymoron of the year - if athiests dont believe in god then why do they have a church
2. sounds like someone came up with a slick way to dodge taxes since churches are tax exempt over there ..

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Can we expect the priests to be garbed in trench coats and fedoras? Maybe a my little pony shrine... But seriously what a silly idea.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I think that it's just their way of thumbing their noses at other churches. I wish I could say that they're doing it for the lulz, but they're actually doing it for the hate. I think that hatred can be counter-productive.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I am not Christian. Nor am I of a religious bent. But i have to say that this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

/credibility

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Athiesm IS a religion. Choosing to believe something that counters others beliefs is still..believing. Isn't that the basis of a religion?

They're just pissed that they can't get tax-breaks, hence the folks pushing this 'lack of belief' in fact, do believe in something....the almighty ($$$)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
lol aaah really , a church , now I am ashamed to call myself an atheist.

Think I will just fall under the category as couldn't careless about it all .. really a church wtf

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
lol!!!

yeah, get them churches up and running!

maybe their own "vatican" somewhere in cali!

do they have any idea how to run a world wide religion?

ask george soros.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I demand holidays!

Anyhow, an atheist church..no thanks. I wont be attending, but more power to em if it gives them a sense of community.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

TXRabbit
Athiesm IS a religion. Choosing to believe something that counters others beliefs is still..believing. Isn't that the basis of a religion?

They're just pissed that they can't get tax-breaks, hence the folks pushing this 'lack of belief' in fact, do believe in something....the almighty ($$$)

What is it that an atheist believes? be specific, because I am an atheist, and I can't think of any actual firm beliefs I have in regards to deities.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

tsingtao
lol!!!

yeah, get them churches up and running!

maybe their own "vatican" somewhere in cali!

do they have any idea how to run a world wide religion?

ask george soros.

Sorry...George is busy messing with Crimea .....

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Hasnt organized religion done enough already? Why do we need more?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
It's all so becoming silly in the grand scheme of things. Nothing more then a statement of I can do it too, for no other reason then they can.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
An Atheist church?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Do understand though, Church, to an atheist, is little more than a weekly sci-fi and fantasy convention that has attained tax free status.

I would attend the atheist church if the subjects included things like battlestar galactica theories and other such neat sci-fi/fantasy discussions. Maybe a sermon about Game Of Thrones and its relation into todays subculture.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

TXRabbit

..($$$)

This is oh-so-wrong! Choosing NOT to believe is atheism. Any other way to see atheism is a way to speak negatively about it, usually used by the churches to discredit non-believers.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Most likely this move is a christian propaganda move.

Back in the Roman empire at their height of power they were still having problems with the militant jews that refused to live under the roman emperors. Contrary to belief the Jesus character was not based on an all kind cheek turning public speaker but a highly volatile aggressive leader of the jews.
The romans couldnt crush these jews so the only way to defeat them was to take their values and ideals, water them out and recycle them for less. The result was christianity..... A politically manufactured fictional text that would serve to enslave those who werelikely to become jewish followers to accept this light version or the religion.
The romans were very succesful. Maybe even a bit too much since we have quite a few number of psychos believing in these fairytales to this day.

The same thing appears to be going on now..... Take atheism, water it out and turn it into a religion.

A true atheist would never induldge in mindless religiouslike gatherings. Its against the very concept of atheism.
Atheism comes from understanding and accepting the very nature of the universe.

Dont turn atheism into Scientology!!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
"I know the services aren’t for everybody, but there are many atheists who would love to attend a celebration of life like this, one that looks and feels like church and does without any of the fiction and superstition."

This is an interesting quote and I think it has merit.
People like to group and celebrate. Weather it be beers at a mates or some sort of sport it is a relaxing thing to do as a variation of any cycle.

So I am considering that there would be a lot of people who like the idea of what the church brings but do not particularly like the ideas of some religious churches.
100% this is a form of religion, how can it not be, but if they are celebrating life without the superstition and fear how can it be viewed so negatively. It would be no different to any other church group, it would just have different beliefs.

I think it is pretty interesting as it is confusing as all buggery lol
The atheists church lol, labels for labels and features for features. Another head spin of who is right or wrong lol

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
An Atheist Church...gotta be to biggest oxymoron I have ever heard...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join