It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Just Destroyed This Asteroid And We Don't Know What It Was

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by OatDelphi

Thx for the awesome link Starred at least lol

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
That is strange. I thought the same thing, that maybe there were initially multiple space rocks, but I would bet that this would have been noticed before. The only other thoughts I had were of course if it were approaching closer to the sun or something, this could happen, but if there is no rise in temperature, it doesn't seem like that would happen. Unless, and I'm just speculating, the objects weren't solid, and contained gases under pressure, and the pressure finally forced part of the rock to give way, causing an explosion from the inside. Without an atmosphere pressing from the outside, it doesn't take as much force to make something explode from internal pressure. Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
If something is traveling along at one rate and it breaks apart, do all the parts continue to travel at the same rate or do they slow down or what?

I dont know anything about this next bit but it must have some bearing on it somehow? From an early post, the pieces are separating very slowly < 1km/s so there was no explosion of gas outwards unless it was forwards or backwards-pointing. What can we tell from the speed before and speed afterwards?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

qmantoo
If something is traveling along at one rate and it breaks apart, do all the parts continue to travel at the same rate or do they slow down or what?

I dont know anything about this next bit but it must have some bearing on it somehow? From an early post, the pieces are separating very slowly < 1km/s so there was no explosion of gas outwards unless it was forwards or backwards-pointing. What can we tell from the speed before and speed afterwards?

it would depend on their initial momentum, then have to take in their size and mass.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Law #1
Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

If you read the original article you would see that the parts are moving away from each other very slowly. Each had a slight force exerted on it by virtue of the spin of the original object.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   

qmantoo

At first I was gonna echo Phage's point about Newton's 1st law of motion, but then some finer points dawned on me.

Things in space tend to carry on along the same path, true. But light and solar wind from the Sun tend to affect things somewhat. Light pressure pushes the very fine dust from the asteroid's breakup outwards, creating comet-like tails. Larger dust particles will gradually slow down and start falling towards the Sun, due to the Poynting–Robertson effect.

But if you're specifically asking about the large chunks that broke away, they will continue on the asteroid's original path. The only change in their momentum is the gentle push of the centrifugal force from the spinning asteroid.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Filing this thread under : Asteroid Threats

Although this particular example of asteroid does not reach the level of an existential threat to our planet the media reportage of the asteroid event itself represents a "ramping up" of asteroid awareness news coverage for the unwashed masses.

Sooner or later the unwashed tv watching public will feel threatened by asteroids... and they will demand that the U.N. or other body start launching defense weapons into space to protect against said threats.

Wernher von Braun warned us that this would happen. The threat sequence is as follows: Communism, Terrorism, Rogue Nations, Asteroids and finally E.T.

FYI - Vatican is having another E.T. conference in Arizona... not open to the public.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

Wernher von Braun warned us that this would happen.

Nah.
That would be Carol Rosin.

edit on 3/19/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Phage

Wernher von Braun warned us that this would happen.

Nah.
That would be Carol Rosin.

She said ten years ago on youtube that she would testify under oath before Congress and that's good enough for me. Is she bluffing? Does it matter if she is? Debunking Carol Rosin does not diminish the threat sequence in any way shape or form. The threat sequence is still valid .... communism, terrorism, rogue nations, ASTEROIDS and then E.T.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Does it matter if she is?
No. Because her only witness is dead so she can't actually perjure herself. But saying "I'll testify" really sounds cool even if it don't mean crap.

The threat sequence is still valid
What's the threat. Exactly?

edit on 3/19/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

PhageWhat's the threat. Exactly?

Asteroids, near Earth objects that are a threat to the Earth, Phage. Even NASA is aware of the threat. Have you been sleeping on it?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

So ... it's not ET then?
I mean asteroids (as well as comets) have always been a threat. Ask T Rex.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Phage

So ... it's not ET then?
I mean asteroids (as well as comets) have always been a threat. Ask T Rex.

And like Donald Rumsfeld at the Abu Graihb torture hearings you are now taking a beating for things that in fact did happen. Chelyabinsk 2013. The immediate response from NASA was to wake up the Neo-Wise satellite and the Russians mobilized, aswell,

The threat is real with the $35,000 dollar asteroid bounty... see the other thread about it...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
NASA seeks bounty hunters for Asteroids - $35k in rewards

Obviously NASA is showing some desperation here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join