It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SeaWorld May Lose Killer Whale Shows Thanks to Shocking Documentary

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Seaworld is not going down without a fight...they are advertising the hell out of kid's channels like Nick's, Sprout, etc...trying to hit people where it hurts, their kids... pisses me OFF!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Well said.

Animals are not made to be in a cage. I know they are ok with humans but they are not humans - we should respect that.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Mamatus
reply to post by grey580

Gee, are you speaking of the very trainers that actually go, get in the water and choose which slaves they will take?
Gee, are you speaking of trainers that want to have jobs tomorrow?

Sorry for the sarcasm, I detest what is being done and get quite angry about it.

So then do the research and ask questions.

Are we really sure 100% that this movie is an actual representation of what Sea World is doing?

Do you really think a trainer is choosing a slave? Don't you think that these people that work as trainers wouldn't be 100% pro animal? That they get into this line of work because they love ocean creatures?

Do you really think that a company that has a conservation fund for wild life is abusing animals?

There's 3 sides to every story. Your side, my side and the right side. Let's find the right side in this story and then do something about it.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Good... I hope they close down these places and hopefully all of those animals get freed.
Some of the footage was harrowing.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

swanne
reply to post by Mamatus

We all know that dolphins are as intelligent as humans are. A

I don't think we do know anything of the sort. Sure they are smart but so is my dog and cat. I think people speculate and Dolphin lovers really want it to be true. I do not think there is any real hard scientific evidence to prove they are as smart as Humans.

But so what.. I mean.. lets assume it's true - does that mean those huge animals have any less potential for danger to humans just cus they have smart brains? Nope.. Humans harm other humans all the time. I could argue being smart makes an animal even more dangerous.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Right side?

I would think the right side is abandoning archaic concepts such as zoos and aquariums, especially given our modern technology. What do we really learn about animals in such a cruel habitat anyway...the behavior is not "normal". It's adapted.

edit on 3/7/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Just playing the devil's advocate here, but all behaviours are "adapted".

I think that adult animals shouldn't be caged in an environment which is alien to them. That being said, this doesn't mean that they suffer cruelty from this said environment. A young animal may even grow to get accustomed to an alien environment.

But like us, they might have instincts, or bad habits. Such as eating up people... In which case I would find it irresponsible to keep these animals in a cage, and, in addition, near all the kids.

edit on 7-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Interesting articles about their intelligence

theraptorlab.wordpress.com...

articles.orlandosentinel.com...

Whether these animals are smart or not (they are) and whether or not Blackfish had an agenda (it did) or not is irrelevant.
It is CRUEL and unnecessary to keep these wonderful, majestic creatures locked and cooped up.
They are social creatures and a calf never leaves its mothers side and a pod stays together for life.
Unless they're stolen from the ocean and split up and sold to water parks

*sigh*

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

JohnPhoenix
I don't think we do know anything of the sort. Sure they are smart but so is my dog and cat. I think people speculate and Dolphin lovers really want it to be true. I do not think there is any real hard scientific evidence to prove they are as smart as Humans.

But so what.. I mean.. lets assume it's true - does that mean those huge animals have any less potential for danger to humans just cus they have smart brains? Nope.. Humans harm other humans all the time. I could argue being smart makes an animal even more dangerous.

They give each other names, fully understand individualism.

They also found Dolphins that have been seen "Getting high" by squirting just enough puffer fish poison at each other then 'dancing together' whilst staring at their own reflections.

India have also recently given them non-human person status, due to scientific studies on their intelligence.

They are only second to humans.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

kosmicjack
reply to post by grey580

Right side?

I would think the right side is abandoning archaic concepts such as zoos and aquariums, especially given our modern technology. What do we really learn about animals in such a cruel habitat anyway...the behavior is not "normal". It's adapted.

edit on 3/7/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

I don't disagree.

However the conservation that these theme parks provide shouldn't be ignored either. They do some good in the world by helping those wild animals that are hurt and nurse them back to help for release.

And long term care they provide for animals that can't be released in the wild.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

We do not know that Dolphins are as intelligent as humans. We have no way of knowing if they have worked out the fundamentals of space-time or visited the stars but i suspect not. Now, they may be quite clever as animals go but to claim they're as intelligent as Humans is a step too far. I understand that Crows & Ravens are the current wunderkinds of the intelligent animal set?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Small Tank? Compared to the Ocean, yeah it's small, but these whales have never seen the ocean so...
Orca do not need huge environments, they need ample space to swim (Orca tanks are generally six million gallons) and a good food source. The reason they travel great distances out in the wild is to find food. Sea World's Orca don't have this issue. They are also free from pollution and impurities, have on site medical care and are fed a high quality, healthy diet.

I never said, you said, you wanted them closed.

I can only go by observation, but the whales look pretty excited when the music starts playing. So yeah I think they have fun in the shows.

Speaking for the Orca is an interesting yet general stance that can be applied to all animals in captivity; that includes dogs, cats, gerbils, fish etc. It's a matter of perspective. When a Dolphin used to play Stalk n Splash (his game, not mine OK, I named it, but it was all his idea.) with me, soaks me and then laughs about it while dancing on his tail, you might think "Wow that Dolphin really hates you." When I think he's just a practical joker; and believe me, he was.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

bismarket
reply to post by swanne

We do not know that Dolphins are as intelligent as humans. We have no way of knowing if they have worked out the fundamentals of space-time or visited the stars but i suspect not. Now, they may be quite clever as animals go but to claim they're as intelligent as Humans is a step too far. I understand that Crows & Ravens are the current wunderkinds of the intelligent animal set?

I would agree that they are probably not AS intelligent as humans, but I honestly wouldn't put it far off from that.

They definitely have sentience, I believe that much. Dolphins have also been observed HELPING humans, because they did not want to witness our suffering.

I would call that at least as spiritually evolved as us.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Okay, let's say you are terminally ill, severely wounded or disabled...would you prefer to be with your family and spend your days free and in your own natural environment...or isolated and trapped in a confined space for the rest of your life?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

bismarket
reply to post by swanne

We do not know that Dolphins are as intelligent as humans. We have no way of knowing if they have worked out the fundamentals of space-time or visited the stars but i suspect not.

Neither did many african tribes. Many african tribes never heard about Einstein nor do they even know that stars don't orbit Earth - does that mean that they are less intelligent than humans?

Intelligence is not to be confused with knowledge. True intelligence is the capacity to formulate new approaches to a problem. Just like when dolphins started protecting their snout with a sponge when they forage:

scienceblogs.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

blupblup
Interesting articles about their intelligence

theraptorlab.wordpress.com...

articles.orlandosentinel.com...

Whether these animals are smart or not (they are) and whether or not Blackfish had an agenda (it did) or not is irrelevant.
It is CRUEL and unnecessary to keep these wonderful, majestic creatures locked and cooped up.
They are social creatures and a calf never leaves its mothers side and a pod stays together for life.
Unless they're stolen from the ocean and split up and sold to water parks

*sigh*

Sea World has not captured or bought any hunted or captured Dolphins or Orca in 35 years. 80% percent of all animals in Sea World parks are born at Sea World. The park in my state has a Pod, all of them were born at the park. They show video of the births during the educational segment of the shows, it's beautiful.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
There is absolutely no reason to keep any animal in captivity when it's showing obvious signs of resentment and aggression.

That's just downright rude.

The SeaWorlds I know are very kind and only employ whales who have given their consent, and employment is purely voluntary.

Which ever "SeaWorld" is responsible for these infractions, should be closed and all knowing participants involved subject to lifetime incarceration until they learn the error of their ways.

Oooooo, I'm a little steamed to hear this news. Downright furious actually. Shame on them!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Define intelligence.

Humans work their lives away just to be able to do four things. Eat, play, screw and raise families. In that process we destroy the very environment we live in.
Dolphins and Whales do all of those things. They also live in harmony with their environment and answer to no masters other than themselves.

Still think humans are smarter?

[SNIP]
edit on 3/7/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

G O O D .

Big star for Mam.
edit on 3/7/2014 by Spruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vageryn

I can only go by observation, but the whales look pretty excited when the music starts playing. So yeah I think they have fun in the shows.

Or, could it be they are going to be fed.

Don't get me wrong....My problem isn't with the Trainers. I'm sure they develop relationships.

They do some great work. I never even saw this movie.

When I was a kid I saw those dolphins in those petting tanks. I was horrified.

I blame the Multi Million dollar Theme Park. Not the people taking care of the animals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join