It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists? Have you been feeling a bit "agnostic" lately?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Great news! There is no longer any cause for worry! The following test will show that "agnostism" is, without a doubt, no cause for concern.

Please answer the following questions (There is no need to answer all questions. Only "Yes", or "No", answers are valid):

1) Do you believe that God IS REAL?

2) Do you believe that God IS NOT REAL?

3) Do you believe that God EVER EXISTED?

4) Do you believe that God NEVER EXISTED?

5) Do you believe that God WILL EVER EXIST?

6) Do you believe that God WILL NEVER EXIST?

7) Do you believe that God IS POSSIBLE?

8) Do you believe that God IS NOT POSSIBLE?

Optional questions (All answers are valid):

1) Does God EXIST?

2) Did God EXIST?

3) Will God EXIST?

4) Do you REALLY believe that God IS A "FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER", or "SOME INVISIBLE MAN", somewhere?

Kindly post your answers, and I'll post the results. Then, we'll discuss them.

All comments are welcome...

Theists:
I, particularly, welcome your participation, and commentary. You can serve as a kind of "control", and "observation" group.

The challenge:
I say that it's impossible for atheists, and theists alike, to be agnostic, at the same time. Prove me wrong...

Agnostics truly are, of simple thought:

Full Definition of AGNOSTIC

1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

2: a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something

Why is it, that so many, quite honestly, don't "get it"?

A special thanks goes out to "Lucid Lunacy ". Without his "consistency of thought", this "thought experiment" would have never been.

Note to Mods:
I chose "Conspiracies in Religions" because, as an "agnostic", I feel that, an overwhelming mass of, "atheists", are conspiring to dilute our, already, rare breed.

To all:
Catch me if you can...

See ya,
Milt
edit on 402America/Chicago3RAmerica/Chicago2014-03-01T02:39:03-06:00Saturday00000003America/Chicago by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
God is one, god is all.

Well that's what it says outside the mosque near my City center, so i'll go with that.

I believe we was created, by what or whom will always remain unanswered to me.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

I could not give a yes or no answer to any of the questions with the exception of optional question #4 which is No. All the rest fell into the category of "I have no idea."

Guess that makes me an agnostic (which I've always believed.)

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

It is simple - if Richard Dawkins exists God exists, if Richard Dawkins does not exist, God exists anyhow. Q.E.D.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I believe in God. I also believe that something that can create something as vast, beautiful and wonderful as our universe is WAY beyond human comprehension. I do know it is not some old guy with a beard sitting in the clouds or a human being claiming he is a "living" God, that just seems silly and simple to me.
edit on 312014 by Holographicmeat because: spelling

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I just don't simply understand a complex system like god the way apparently I should I agree and disagree with every thing you asked except about speghetti monsters and invisible men that one I get its a meme that has dissuaded you

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by skyblueworld

Thanks for responding, and congratulations. This is my first thread, so you won that contest.

God is one, god is all.

I'm all for sayings like that. I feel that they are a "good thing".

I believe we was created

That's cool. Quite honestly, I hope that's true.

by what or whom will always remain unanswered to me.

I sincerely hope that you, and I, get lucky and find out. Like you said, one never knows...

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

speghetti monsters and invisible men that one I get its a meme that has dissuaded you

No, that hasn't "dissuaded" me, at all. That has, only, pissed me off, when I see it used as a reference to God. A "Yes" answer to that question would have been a very strong indication of extreme atheism, and anti-theism; the worst of the worse. so to speak.

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Milt I believe we spoke whiles ago about alcohol on U2U, I was being genuine on my response and I can answer every question presented but every individual answer would contradict the other and be true, I am not a tautology master or anything but you did ask a series of very deep questions and the last point you made really IS a "bias program" question the reason I say so is because they are both aspects of things of retards in bars would use to sound smart and I think you would so much more sound of a point without that part because it is very crystal clear until there. You are seeking information that last part requires you to be in a camp or another.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Wanted to answer but I don't know what you mean by god.

I will say that the theists don't get it because they believe that god exists so, if you really want to know, you can. Atheists don't get it because there is nothing to get.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I don't believe in god. At all. In any way.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

BenReclused
Great news! There is no longer any cause for worry! The following test will show that "agnostism" is, without a doubt, no cause for concern.

Please answer the following questions (There is no need to answer all questions. Only "Yes", or "No", answers are valid):

1) Do you believe that God IS REAL? Y

2) Do you believe that God IS NOT REAL? N

3) Do you believe that God EVER EXISTED? Y

4) Do you believe that God NEVER EXISTED? N

5) Do you believe that God WILL EVER EXIST? ??? I believe God has always and will always exist. If I say yes to this am I implying that He does not exist now but will in the future?

6) Do you believe that God WILL NEVER EXIST? N

7) Do you believe that God IS POSSIBLE? Y

8) Do you believe that God IS NOT POSSIBLE? N

1) Does God EXIST? Y

2) Did God EXIST? N

3) Will God EXIST? ????

4) Do you REALLY believe that God IS A "FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER", or "SOME INVISIBLE MAN", somewhere? N

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Which god are you asking about after all there are 1000's still worshipped?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Interesting thread. GOD - biggest Conspiracy In Religion.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

BenReclused

1) Do you believe that God IS REAL?

No.

2) Do you believe that God IS NOT REAL?

There is no need for this to believe. God is fictious, made to suppress the masses.

3) Do you believe that God EVER EXISTED?

No.

4) Do you believe that God NEVER EXISTED?

There is no need for this to believe. God is fictious, made to suppress the masses.

5) Do you believe that God WILL EVER EXIST?

No.

6) Do you believe that God WILL NEVER EXIST?

7) Do you believe that God IS POSSIBLE?

No.

8) Do you believe that God IS NOT POSSIBLE?

1) Does God EXIST?

No.

2) Did God EXIST?

No.

3) Will God EXIST?

No.

4) Do you REALLY believe that God IS A "FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER", or "SOME INVISIBLE MAN", somewhere?

No.

Kindly post your answers, and I'll post the results. Then, we'll discuss them.

All comments are welcome...

Theists:
I, particularly, welcome your participation, and commentary. You can serve as a kind of "control", and "observation" group.

The challenge:
I say that it's impossible for atheists, and theists alike, to be agnostic, at the same time. Prove me wrong...

Agnostics truly are, of simple thought:

Full Definition of AGNOSTIC

1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

2: a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something

A special thanks goes out to "Lucid Lunacy ". Without his "consistency of thought", this "thought experiment" would have never been.

Now what? I see what you tried over there - bringing us to the point that "believing" is believing in God. Nope.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Brotherman
I just don't simply understand a complex system like god

I was just debating this with a friend recently. Why God, if he exists, should be complex? It should be efficient more than anything else. Efficiency is often the enemy of complexity. Maybe the true God is a mathematical principle, or a force which organizes things.

I don't believe God exists as an old man sitting in the cloud. But I think that there are things which we don't comprehend yet. Why did life, and its accompanying evolution principle, appear at all? The odds for this happening in total chaos is one out of near infinity. In other words, near absolute zero.

I doubt it's a life who created life, that's why I would tend to think that whatever created life was something else, something far more efficient and simpler.

edit on 1-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   

One of my favorite ATS'ers and posters. Not because you are a theist or an atheist, but because you are brilliant in how you approach the subject. You expose the idiocy of both sides. Instead of sucking ATS wangs for stars in the dirty back alleys of assdom, you ask smart questions of both anti-theist and theist alike. I effing love that.

I'm pretty sure this post will get me in trouble, but I don't care. The only thing worse than a preachy mormon, is a preachy atheist.
edit on 1-3-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I have no reason to believe that there ever has been, or ever will be, any sort of conscious divine ruling entity governing our existence. The day we discover gods is the day we realize we never knew what they were to begin with. Which is the only loophole in my position: I don't believe in gods as they are currently understood. We might discover aliens and call them gods. We might meet ourselves from the future and call them gods. We might make a series of miraculous breakthroughs in science and end up calling ourselves gods. The word "god" is just so indefinite. It really doesn't convey much of anything except that its a mystery.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Interesting test but I do not believe it can be as simple as that. Belief can be a very selfish OR unselfish thing depending on how you look at it. My father called himself an atheist in order TO BE POLITE. He was open about his non-belief in a higher power. He was open about his scorn for the church. He was only open to his immediate family about his true beliefs. His job had him running into children with horrible diseases, hideous disfigurements, etc. This made him build up a hate for god second to maybe only satan's. So maybe Atheist's are really only atheists in front of us and something completely different for unseen reasons. Chivalry is not dead. Good people keep their true belief's to themselves and let everyone else come to their own understanding. Ignorant and desperate people believe their responsibility is to convert the world (misery loves company?).

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I just wonder why you call the polarizing answers "yes" and "no" simple?
What happened to the "I don't know" and the for me more important (and also main answer to all your questions)....

I don't care

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join