It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Seizes $500M of gold in Iraq.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 06:47 PM
link   
WASHINGTON (AFP) - US soldiers in Iraq (news - web sites) seized a truck believed to be loaded with 2,000 gold bars worth as much as 500 million dollars during a routine search near the Syrian border, the US military said.

"The bars may have a total worth of 500 million dollars, depending on karat weight and purity," the US Central Command said.

Soldiers from the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment stopped the Mercedes truck and its two occupants Thursday in Al Qaim, finding the 40-pound (18-kilogram) bars, which measured four inches by five inches by 10 inches (10 centimeters by 13 centimeters by 25 centimeters).

LINK

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Well well well, what have we here...

Sounds like the US are going to steal more than just oil in order to help lighten the debt. I always wondered where bush was sposed to be getting the money to make all these new tax breaks. Guess we know now.

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 07:07 PM
link   
So the US intercept some stolen Iraqi gold and you automatically accuse them of stealing it? You don't even look at the facts or wait for further clarification.
Come on dude, get with the program.

Sheesh...... some people......

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Hey dont say I'm accuseing them its already been proven they stole some money from the mansion, OR did uyou not here about that?!

uk.news.yahoo.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.ananova.com...

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Yeah I heard about it.
But that doesn't hold that this story is linked to it.

Give me the facts, man. Just the facts....... I need a fix of facts......

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thats just it, facts are hard to get these days. But believe me, when I gather the facts you will be the among the first I tell. Until more is released about the situation the both of us are going to have to wait.

I have added this on my favorites, but if your saying the government don't steal, take a look at the new taxes in Ohio, tattoo and wheelchair taxes!

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I doubt that the U.S. intends to steal this gold. The thieves are the people, who were driving the Mercedes truck - they just happened to get caught by U.S. troops.

BTW: about weird taxation, the British have taxed beards, windows and chimneys. Whatever is a necessity or in vogue becomes a taxable item in this country. Do you know that in the UK, we must pay for a licence to watch TV?

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 09:52 PM
link   
What makes you think it was stolen Iraqi gold the US seized?

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The people detained admit to being payed to transport the gold/bronze bars.
"The occupants told the soldiers that they had been paid a total of 350,000 dinars (350 US dollars) to pick up the truck in Baghdad and drive it to an unnamed individual in Al Qaim,"

Nothing about the bars being stolen is implied besides the bank looting weeks before.

it is interesting media nonetheless. Great find by btw Ill, thanks!

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I'm sure America will put the $500 000 000 to good use.

In america!!!!

Bushes campaign could do with it maybe.

posted on May, 24 2003 @ 02:34 AM
link   
In this newest article, the U.S. seizes the gold headed out of the country.

There's a difference. An ysober semi-literate reader should be able to detect it. Heck, even I noticed it.

Get with the program.

[Edited on 24-5-2003 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Give it to Nebraska, we need it!

I don't think that Bush is in the middle east to steal oil and gold whoever you are (I'm to lazy to scroll down and look at the posts), he's doing it for attention, so he can get back in office. If he makes it look like he is actually doing something instead of sitting around in his office smoking a nice "imported" cuban cigar, he has more chances of becoming the Republican canidate next election and therefore more chances of getting elected, and by the looks of it, he's doing a good job of getting the Americans riled up.

new topics

top topics

join