It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2.3 Million American Children + 1.5(mil) Workers HUNGRY and going HOMELESS (6 month UE Limit)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Honestly? That question is what kept me from trying to attend college for many years of my trucking career. If I'd known..and truly understood...how this all works? I would have left trucking to go into college many years sooner, then enjoy that many more years on the other end.

Student Debt is life debt. Credit doesn't matter because outside specific and narrow circumstances? You can't bankrupt this, you cannot escape this and defaulting on it will cost you serious things in tangible ways for life.

They can take a risk on bad credit (or not care at all) because they own you in some very real ways...especially now that the Government has more control and involvement in student loans than ever before.

So, good credit/bad credit? Doesn't matter. They look at income now and recently vs. what you are looking to accomplish to which school. That sets your 'award amount' for Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans. Those will almost always come to MUCH more than school costs (5,000-6,000 over costs per semester for me right now, and that jumps quite a bit at University level). Like I said, loans give me the ability to be full time with the hours a day class requires and then hours more per day for homework (2 hours outside for every 1 hour inside is what they say..and just figure it's a bonus to have a course where it's not true)...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What are you suppose to do if you have bad credit?

Just make sure if you bite on college that it is something that you will be able to find work in afterwards, and make sure that you do whatever you can to increase your marketability in that field while you are in school.

My husband worked a desk job in the dorms all through school. It got him a discount on his housing, but it didn't get him useful job experience. That put him at a disadvantage when it came time to find a job in his field. He had to spend another three years or so after graduation putzing around campus scraping up any and all odd lab jobs he could find to try to pad out his resume with work experience, and all that time, his student loans were increasing on us. They add up fast if you can't get into a situation to immediately start paying on them.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
In an ideal world we would have enough good paying jobs and not have to compete in the cut throat global economy.

Here in New Zealand it's similar to the UK with unemployment/job seeker benefits are paid for by taxes. A few days ago there was a fascinating article in the New Zealand Herald about how Work and Income New Zealand is so hostile to the unemployed that many unemployed give up on getting benefits even though they paid taxes like every one else when they had a job.

It shows that the government has been lying about a booming economy.

Rose-tinted view cruel fairy tales

You might find some of the comments interesting.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Ive been wanting to go to school for a while now but i keep running into the problem of not qualifying for loans. I actually wanted a CDL but recently decided against. Now ive been thinking about a career as an electrician but ive been thinking maybe network admin, which a few programming classes here and there and i could eventually become a DBA.

I have nothing left for them to take from me anyway i dont really care.
edit on 20142America/ChicagoquAmerica/Chicago5728342014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

But what degree is actually worth it, and how many graduates for that degree are graduating every year and how long is it going to be worth it?

Will it be worth it after i get the degree in a few years still or will the market have changed by then?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Well, opinions may well vary on this advice but it's what I deeply feel. Don't get side tracked in the myriad of matchbook-online classes, if you're paying for them and seeking a real degree.

Don't get tied up with the tech schools and commercial 'institutes' ...to keep it neutral for specific names.

One of my classmates earlier on was over to my college after getting his "degree" from a well known technical school which advertises nationally on TV....and couldn't get hired for anything with it. They weren't accredited in a way that employers valued or cared about. Oooops.. no one mentioned he should have checked that and it cost him $20,000 in debt before starting on the real academic track.

I'd go talk to your local community college. It's the best way (Cheapest and most forgiving environment) to get general education courses, which any degree, in any area of study will require. You have some space and room to confirm what you want to major in while you're doing your year or two of general classes. (Math...Composition...History..Science..etc)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

And how do you pay for your car, rent, food, and other cost of living while going to school full time, through loans?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I keep hearing that most STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) related degrees are worth it. If you can find a STEM degree that suits you and keep your nose to the grindstone to get one, go for it. Apparently, if you can go to South Dakota's Mining School you'll be more marketable than most new Harvard grads in terms of pay.

Recent graduates of the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology (SDSM&T) earned more on average than those graduating from Harvard, Bloomberg News reports. The median salary of the Rapid City school’s graduates was $56,700. By contrast, the median salary of Harvard graduates — where the tuition is nearly four times as high as at SDSM&T — was $54,100.

By mid-career, Harvard graduates earned on average $116,000 a year, while SDSM&T graduates earned $96,000 a year. Still, at an out-of-state tuition cost of $10,530 a year –versus Harvard’s $40,000 a year – SDSM&T’s grads come out ahead, especially since Harvard grads tend to reside in high-cost locales like New York, San Francisco, and DC.

Against this dire backdrop, the Society of Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration reported in January 2012 that an additional 78,000 workers would be needed by the U.S. mining industry through 2019. No doubt, many of those workers will come out of U.S. mining schools, touting degrees in Earth Sciences, Mineral Geology, or Mine Engineering.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Well, I'd love to have some clever and brilliant story of self-made success to give me an easy ride...but there is no such thing in my case. It's month to month and probably more so than I'd really care to get into and admit. It's not a comfy thing to spend too much time on, because the edge is a long drop off if the balance ever shifts in a major way.

It specific terms? Well, I make money here and there with the A+ cert courses I took in my first semester at college. That gave me paper to show for the comp work I've been doing since I was a teenager. No paper meant it was empty claims and it took that much just to get side work, but it helps. I'm learning Visual Basic since, as a student, Visual Studio Professional is free on Dreamspark. One of the many little benefits of being a student and it takes the bite out of the downsides. I've quickly found how many people want a little app of their own, to do something just the way they want it. It's niche, but paying the bills doesn't take much.

I would say my once broad collection of firearms isn't near as large or diverse as it once was either ..but when a $20 purchase is something I stop and put real cost/benefit ratio thinking into, every time? $700 for a hunting rifle and $1200 for a carbine goes a long way.

I think it's as much a faith in finding a way to make ends meet, because I always have and so far, successfully...as having a long term plan for each bill's costs being covered. Err.. That alone creates stress you may factor in as well.. add study time, for instance..and that's literally taught in College Studies (a primer course), so I'm really not kidding..

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

No i get you. I have to take care of myself so im factoring in how to do this while paying for college at the same time.

Visual basic can code apps huh? Its such an easy language i took classes for it in highschool.

I lived with a girl who went to school fulltime and her schedule did not allow for much work time. W weredating.
edit on 20142America/ChicagoquAmerica/Chicago3328192014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Let me reinforce this jewel u a bit more.. and hit it out of the park to get it to really focus it in perfectly clear...

I'm the only one of the very few in Oregon that has been through the NAFTA 3 times, according to the UE department agent which she could only count the numbers of us on at this status on 1 hand..

-If you get hurt on the job, you can't get on UE benefits, because you're not physically able to seek work.

-You can not seek work outside of your career field, or previous experience, if you do, you're not eligible.

This puts me in a situation where I and other Americans are literately quite unemployed from either being hurt on the job or can't seek work outside their field of experience.

So, in the meantime, the bills are wracking up and 3 months behind on rent because of this stipulation of the rules.
THIS is what is happening in America RIGHT NOW!

There is NOT a field of work to employ the millions of people to help them get back on their feet, ALL the manufacturing jobs went over seas, which started WAY back in 1998...it was just a matter of time before it all caught up with us.

So, what happened to all the jobs?

Simple, as the manufacturing jobs were gradually going overseas, high school kids going back to school from working fast food to get some work experience, the immigrants flooding into our country by the droves, BACKFILLED those fast food vacant jobs from the high schoolers going back to school; effectively locking the high school kids out as well as those of us seeking more manufacturing jobs.

LET ME SAY THIS ...I don't blame the immigrates, If I was an immigrate living out of trash heaps and dodging the drug cartel to feed my family and had the opportunity to do so ..........there would BE NO question what I would do. However, I would do it legally and to the best of my ability.

I blame the US Administration ........period. It's THEIR JOB description to keep a handle on this ...

NOW, 20+ years later, the fast food industry is filled with 60% immigrants, and manufacturing jobs are gone, except for 1 or 2 corporate giants. High Tech manufacturing is going to reduced it's human work force reduced by 46% by 2037, because of robotics

No field of work even to those getting 2 year and 4 year degrees since corporations can hire 1 engineer offshore with a doctorate for the same price it would spend on 3 engineers with masters!...A quote from a former CEO of a high tech manufacturing company I worked for.

No jobs=less taxes=cuts in spending..that's simple math...

Solution: We need to find new ways of improving our infrastructure, making it more efficient and making a robot do everything for us isn't the grandest of ideas either. Oh and at the top of the list, find out where the $$$$$ are really going in very county and State and Gov office in America....it is there you will find your answers.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Infinitis

For all posters who think it is a good idea to cut of this benefit I have news for you.......IT'S NOT.

This plus the fact that anyone making under 14 dollars and hour is screwed because of inflation. People will not be able to afford food and housing anymore. What do you think is going to happen when this finally sinks in. Mass unrest will tear the very fabric of our country. This will affect everyone from the very rich to the very poor.

I believe this could happen as early as this year and no later then next year. We will see even more workers demand higher wages as the economy sinks lower. If they give people more money it will only speed up the crash. This is a fact people.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Rodinus
Hey OP...

There is not just the Good old US of A in the world...

Take a look at ATS statistics... there are other people outside of that wall who are members of ATS that you have built around yourselves?

Just saying...

*prepares anti flame device for anti-world members outside of the USA*

Kindest respects

Rodinus

I don't think he was leaving you out brother, he was just focusing on what was happening in the USoA, Spain is and has been hit pretty damm bad as well..

persoanlly, the globlist strings are being pulled economically so hard they're nearly breaking ..why? I'll save that for another thread .. but suffice it to say 'someone' wants everyone on the same sheet of 'paper'

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Visual basic can code apps huh? Its such an easy language i took classes for it in highschool.

I'll tell you straight out, if you can code VB well, then you're half way to mastering Access/Excel and those skills are extremely marketable at expert levels. You're also going to have little trouble writing whole Windows programs in Visual Studio. Most of it is drag/drop visually based now anyway. What coding there is, is tech stuff and that is where the learning curve is ..or wouldn't be, in your case? Heck, you have something there already, I'd say.

See? CIS (Computers).. Check that out. It's a very crowded field for graduates, but it's a damn small one for truly talented and inspired ones, IMO.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I know the truth behind the coding propaganda because i used to work for a tech company.

The coding jobs aren't going to last very long. I did however learn that most tech innovations will be networking.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Computers need code....code needs to be written by someone and this stuff is dumbed down about as far as it really can be and still retain the full power that it does. I'd looked at networking and took the A+ course for it when I started but that was enough to see, at least at my school, what the future was. Cisco hardware on Microsoft Software ..for networking server application? Er.. Well, not for me anyway. I'm a Linux guy 100% down the line when it comes to server needs..

General knowledge isn't going to pay any hopes and dreams though, you're right...and specialization is critical. No question. I'm also, understandably I'd hope, a little less talkative about specific areas I'm focused on. After all, niche doesn't stay niche when everyone has the same idea. lol....

This all wouldn't do much for me just popping out with an associates CIS degree anyway. Under the graduate GIS degree with so much more than the basic level taught by the program? Well.. Value added skills mean being hired or getting a contract over someone who doesn't at times, eh?

edit on 8-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

SubTruth
reply to post by Infinitis

For all posters who think it is a good idea to cut of this benefit I have news for you.......IT'S NOT.

This plus the fact that anyone making under 14 dollars and hour is screwed because of inflation. People will not be able to afford food and housing anymore. What do you think is going to happen when this finally sinks in. Mass unrest will tear the very fabric of our country. This will affect everyone from the very rich to the very poor.

I believe this could happen as early as this year and no later then next year. We will see even more workers demand higher wages as the economy sinks lower. If they give people more money it will only speed up the crash. This is a fact people.

totally

agree...

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Software vs server side hardware technology and centralized security systems for more control over the network. Then companies can outsource their networking to a tech network company vs having to have a guy whos local to come look at the network and configure it from the hardware.

I think i got that right. Im pretty sure thats going to devalue any CCNA'S and CCIE's in the very near future.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Everyone keeps telling me to get a job at Target or Denny's but then what?

Does anyone know how hard it is to support yourself off 8$ an hour? So work two jobs, but what about going to school?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
are we potentially looking at...

a Road Warrior / Mad Max scenario?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join