It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no God

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
There is no omniscient omnipotent being.

Just imagine being slowly tortured to death. Then out of nowhere you see superman fly over to your neighbor and rescue a kitten stuck in a tree. And then instead of helping you, he flies away to give a big sack of money to an already rich CEO. Add omniscience to it and he has no excuse. Can't say, "whoops, didn't see you there."

There are too many people hurt and suffering for such a being to exist. If he existed, he would be guilty of negligence on a massive scale.

All beings are limited. "God" is no exception.

There are however, unusual beings: spirits, angels, demons, etc. There is something out there, whatever name you give it.
And it is easy to become confused thinking one of them is God. Evil beings might lie to someone and try to make him/her worship them. A person could become confused seeing unexplained good deeds and begin calling one of the good beings God.

Having knowledge and authority over all beings, means you are claiming responsibility for all the crimes that have been committed by those beings. So either God doesn't exist. Or God has done something wrong, which means he can't exist.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by twsnhr013

Free will

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Free will to cause suffering or to not suffer? Ever hear someone say: "Please don't hurt me! Don't let him hurt me!" And then BAM! Smacked in the face. Your will to cause suffering does not override someone else's will not to suffer. If it did, the world would be about wills and God would have no relevance.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Free will

Hmm. Okay. Let me ask you something. If your son is standing out in the yard with an M80 firecracker in his hand and he's about to light it up, what do you do? Or maybe you're walking across a bridge and you happen to notice a woman ready to jump. What do you do then? Or perhaps a man is lying down in the middle of a highway, waiting for the next semi to come along and crush him. What would you do?
edit on 22-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

You have as much proof that God doesn't exist as I do that God does.

Anyone who pretends to 100% know what happens when we die, is a retard.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

That's a bad word to just throw around. Some of us have mentally challenged friends and family. Your casual use of the word is insensitive and careless.

link   
reply to post by Beavers

I am stating that an omniscient omnipotent being does not exist, and that all beings are limited.

If God's only domain is life after death, then God is limited and untouched.

link   

twsnhr013
Free will to cause suffering or to not suffer? Ever hear someone say: "Please don't hurt me! Don't let him hurt me!" And then BAM! Smacked in the face. Your will to cause suffering does not override someone else's will not to suffer. If it did, the world would be about wills and God would have no relevance.

Yet they get smacked in the face.

I'm not an atheist nor agnostic. However I don't believe everything written in the bible. To simply declare there is not God but then in the same post agree that there is 'Something'. I dunno, for me there is something, a power greater than myself out there. Some call it God, others 'Great Spirit or Architect of the Universe"

Maybe our perception of God needs an upgrade/expansion?

PEACE

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Free will

The free will argument doesn't cut it. If the Creator knows ALL, even before you were born, the free will argument is moot.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

External locus of control

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Outside of a moral/ethical argument why should I do anything?

It was their free will they used to put themselves in those various situations.

I'd offer my help but in the end it's their choice to jump and or get ran over etc.

They have Free Will to either ignore my offer or accept it.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I hate it when people come and claim 'There is no God' out of nowhere, like they knew everything.

The fact you just don't seem to grasp is that the word 'God' is subject to several interpretations of all sort and can have different meanings from an individual to another. You can't claim such entity doesn't exist, because it is a subjective belief.

Now what do you refer to God as? Of course, if in your head god is a powerful white-bearded man, then yes maybe you can claim such affirmations. But what about other people?

From my point of view, God is the referrence to the ultimate source of energy. The whole, the one, the divine.
The problem is its meaning has been interpreted through the age and diminished to a simple human's conception.

But the profound signification of the word 'God' is much more subtle and truthful than most of you guys would like to think.

edit on 22-1-2014 by St0rD because: typo

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Yes there is!
Do I really need a second line?
edit on 22-1-2014 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

BS

The "Creator" Being aware of whats going to happen doesn't mean it invalidates it, it just means they/it/he/she/whatever, are aware of whats about to, has or will transpire.

Real life example.

I knew for a fact that if my 3 year old son were to put his hand on the stove top burner he'd get hurt. He was warned but in the end he went and did it anyways.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Well, it really all depends on what we are talking when we utter the word "God".

If you're going to take God to be a literal human being or other type of omnipotent being, then perhaps you have a valid point.

But what if, and pardon me for getting a little crazy here, we didn't take the holy books' use of God as literal, and instead treated the term/name etc as an allegory. Would God still cease to exist in your mind?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

thats the spirit

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

St0rD

Now what do you refer to God as? Of course, if in your head god is a powerful white-bearded man, then yes maybe you can claim such affirmations. But what about other people?

edit on 22-1-2014 by St0rD because: typo

I don't refer to God. I state there is no God, and recognize that all beings are limited. As such you should be grateful for whatever help you receive from them, and not hold resentment to them. Because the alternative is that someone has authority and is responsible for the suffering of others, and thus is guilty of negligence or abuse. So if there is a divine structure, it is likely limited and either does not have the power to help or does not have the knowledge to help.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Depends on how you view it really. Some will view god as a healer, a teacher, or a giver of love which is A.D.

Others could view god as a punisher or condemner, or giver of immense pain an cruelty which is sort of B.C.

I personally don't believe in a fictional omnipotent being, well not since I was a kid anyways. If god is all powerful, then people, could think whatever they want of him/her/it without getting themselves killed by a group idiots.

I'm more of a believer in cause an effect, as well as karma.

I personally like Bruce Lees philosophy on God.

“If there is a God, he is within. You don't ask God to give you things, you depend on God for your inner theme.”

edit on 22-1-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Oh there is a God or Gods, there just not what you think they are!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I've never died and visited the afterlife, so anything I believe in has to be done solely on faith.

In the end, people can say there is a God(s), goddesses, whatever, or they can say that there is no God.

The fact of the matter is that in the end, we'll all be privy to the answer.

Some may be disappointed, others might not be.

The OP's assertion that there is no God, however, does nothing to invalidate what I believe.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join