It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no God

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
If we are referring to a separate phenomena, then overloading the word God serves to confuse people and eventually manipulates back into mainstream. But yes, there are other meanings to the word that I am neither agreeing with nor denying at the moment.

I have stated there is no omniscient and omnipotent being and that all beings are limited. So it probably doesn't invalidate everyone's idea of God.
edit on 22-1-2014 by twsnhr013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Outside of a moral/ethical argument why should I do anything?

It was their free will they used to put themselves in those various situations.

I'd offer my help but in the end it's their choice to jump and or get ran over etc.

They have Free Will to either ignore my offer or accept it.

...So God, being the creator of a moral guideline, gives you a reason to do something he himself apparently would not do? He gives you a reason to exercise your free will in response to theirs, to step in and try to change their mind, but that's not enough reason to exercise his own free will to the same effect? Is that what you're saying here? I honestly don't understand, but I'd like to.
edit on 22-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by twsnhr013

A parent with many children cannot be everywhere at once to protect their kids from every hurt in life, that's just a fact. Heck, sometimes parents can't even keep constant track of just a couple of kids! Now imagine that you are the Creator and have billions of children.... do you honestly think you could be there to intervene before they are hurt every single time? Even if you could would you deprive your children of every lesson they need to learn to fulfill their purpose? Sometimes pain, whether physical or emotional, teaches us the biggest and best lessons of our lives.

Maybe taking the Bible too literally is the issue at hand. You make your opinions based on the assumption that the Creator is supposedly "omniscient".... we do not know this for a fact because mankind has rewritten and edited multiple times- therefore we really don't know how much of what it says has been given "literary license" and may be nowhere close to the original content. Think on that for a spell and get back to me later!

link   

twsnhr013
If we are referring to a separate phenomena, then overloading the word God serves to confuse people and eventually manipulates back into mainstream. But yes, there are other meanings to the word that I am neither agreeing with nor denying at the moment.

I have stated there is no omniscient and omnipotent being and that all beings are limited. So it probably doesn't invalidate everyone's idea of God.

What's a god?

link   

Why do you assume I have to answer for God?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Only in ignorance would you make such a claim!

Do I really need a second line too?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Why do you assume I have to answer for God?

Because you feel the need to defend him. Don't defend someone if you can't adequately explain their actions - or lack thereof. You put yourself out there as a reliable PR agent, now you're complaining because you're being asked some really good questions you don't have answers to. Is that my fault?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dakota1s2

What I've said comes from knowing, and is a logical and reasonable conclusion to come to such that other people recognize it as inevitably obvious and would like to argue about semantics rather than phenomena.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

twsnhr013

Just imagine being slowly tortured to death. Then out of nowhere you see superman fly over to your neighbor and rescue a kitten stuck in a tree. And then instead of helping you, he flies away to give a big sack of money to an already rich CEO. Add omniscience to it and he has no excuse. Can't say, "whoops, didn't see you there."

Everything in context friend. You can't view things so black and white or in your example good vs evil. The God you speak of is a human construct. If "God" is all omniscient and omnipotent than he is both good and evil. The thing is good/evil is also a human construct its more like positive/negative with everything in balance. That balance is your "God" or source.

Personally, I accept we don't understand God because we are viewing everything out of context. We are inside the machine trying to determine what the machine does. Sadly, most people tend to look at things from one perspective or another, yet what I find most interesting is watching my daughter fall asleep. There is a split second that differentiates awake from sleep within a snap of a finger. If I try to get out of bed before that moment happens, she will always without fail wake up and ask me what I'm doing. Yet after that moment I can dance on her bed without concern and that moment is determined through a body shiver. I can feel it start at one end of her chakra and run all the way down and when this happens her being is now elsewhere. There is more there then just chemical and electrical reactions....

Long story short your viewing the picture wrong. Is a tiger evil for pouncing a gazelle? Depends who you ask, the tiger or the gazelle.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Free will

Lol Freewill, the excuse religious people make it to justify the existence of god while ignoring the fact he does poop to people that are suffering.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

twsnhr013
There is no omniscient omnipotent being.

Just imagine being slowly tortured to death. Then out of nowhere you see superman fly over to your neighbor and rescue a kitten stuck in a tree. And then instead of helping you, he flies away to give a big sack of money to an already rich CEO. Add omniscience to it and he has no excuse. Can't say, "whoops, didn't see you there."

There are too many people hurt and suffering for such a being to exist. If he existed, he would be guilty of negligence on a massive scale.

All beings are limited. "God" is no exception.

There are however, unusual beings: spirits, angels, demons, etc. There is something out there, whatever name you give it.
And it is easy to become confused thinking one of them is God. Evil beings might lie to someone and try to make him/her worship them. A person could become confused seeing unexplained good deeds and begin calling one of the good beings God.

Having knowledge and authority over all beings, means you are claiming responsibility for all the crimes that have been committed by those beings. So either God doesn't exist. Or God has done something wrong, which means he can't exist.

There is no god you say? Sure there is. Just because you don't believe it doesn't really make it so. But if it makes you feel good to say it, oh well, are you gonna be surprised.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

Because you feel the need to defend him.

No.

I defend my right to believe.

Don't defend someone if you can't adequately explain their actions - or lack thereof.

Sorry

You don't get to set the rules on how others believe.

You put yourself out there as a reliable PR agent, now you're complaining because you're being asked some really good questions you don't have answers to. Is that my fault?

Your fault for trying to portray one who disagrees with you based on their own beliefs as being wrong or misguided.

Doesn't work that way.

Whats your view?

You question mine but haven't yet presented yours.

Turn about is fair.

No?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The consciousness of life, the knowledge of self is "God". Look within to find him, to find you. We are billions of the same source experiencing itself.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

luciddream
Lol Freewill, the excuse religious people make it to justify the existence of god while ignoring the fact he does poop to people that are suffering.

Neither does the UN

Do they exist?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by poloblack

BS

The "Creator" Being aware of whats going to happen doesn't mean it invalidates it, it just means they/it/he/she/whatever, are aware of whats about to, has or will transpire.

Real life example.

I knew for a fact that if my 3 year old son were to put his hand on the stove top burner he'd get hurt. He was warned but in the end he went and did it anyways.

Not BS, that's your opinion, and I respectfully disagree. If the Creator has foreknowledge of all events that are going to transpire, your free will means nothing. It's already said and done. I believe there's a higher power, a ''Creator'', so to speak, but I'm not buying the original story.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm just glad that my faith and belief isn't contingent upon others.

I believe that the OP is wrong.

My faith that the truth of the ultimate answer will be borne out in the end is solid.

(See how easy that was?)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

twsnhr013

St0rD

Now what do you refer to God as? Of course, if in your head god is a powerful white-bearded man, then yes maybe you can claim such affirmations. But what about other people?

edit on 22-1-2014 by St0rD because: typo

I don't refer to God. I state there is no God, and recognize that all beings are limited.

Well if you don't even have a proper personnal definition or belief of what god could be, why do you think for a sec you can claim there is no god?

You're not making any sense.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Alright! So I've stated my position. And I admit that because of the title of this thread ("There is no God") you have reason to argue for or against the existence of any interpretation of the word God. So I no longer need to restate my position and meaning and instead I will simply see where the rest of this thread goes to.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No.

I defend my right to believe.

No, you're defending immoral principles. You're defending some god's right to use your excuse to save a woman from jumping off a bridge as an excuse to do exactly the opposite. In other words, your motivations for intervention are his motivations for inaction. And you're defending that. But that's okay, what more can we expect from imperfect hedonistic immoral human beings? They're trash but for the grace of God, right? Or so I'm always being told, online and offline.

Whats your view?

You question mine but haven't yet presented yours.

Turn about is fair.

No?

Very fair. My view is that if we cared half as much as much about the earth and each other as we do about God and the afterlife, half our problems would vanish in a second. So honestly, I think God is doing us about as much good as burying yourself in a video game while the house burns down around you.

That's my view.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Beavers

That's a bad word to just throw around. Some of us have mentally challenged friends and family. Your casual use of the word is insensitive and careless.

HOLLY CRAP ! The word police ? How many ' bad ' words should we be aware of. Lets just pass on AfterInfinity saying no one can claim 100% there is or isn't a God. The Op. The BEST you can hope for is to withhold judgement I believe you simply pick. I'd suggest there has been a inherent human need to connect with something greater then oneself since we popped out on the womb. I utilize this ' alleged' God to comfort me during the rough stuff. For me it gives relief , whether this is REAL or Imagined is not that much of and issue.
If you require Proof I believe , Oh heck, I KNOW God has a rental in Newark N.J.
edit on 22-1-2014 by dazbog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join