It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Take on Political Correctness at School ....an example

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
At my Kids school today they had a group a speakers from a "diversity and inclusion" group come in and talk to the whole school about those particular topics. They showed a video showing examples of racial inequity in the past and talked about how it's still ongoing today. I guess things got derailed right after the video when they (First Mistake) asked the student body to text their feelings about the video and show the texts in real time on the big screen. Some were the normal stuff you would expect. Some of it was stupid teenager comments. However, some of them were something along the lines of " I thought the video was racist as it faulted the white community for all the problems of others, without putting any blame on anyone else" and "You are blaming us" (majority of students are white and fairly well off) for things we didn't do and we don't do. Needless to say this wasn't the responses this group was looking for and they felt "disrespected" and the School Faculty started immediately to apologize and reprimand some of the students for their remarks.

My question is : Were the students wrong to say what they felt about the event? Especially when they solicited the students for "their feelings on the video and presentation"? I get the feeling that the diversity group fully expected everyone to "fall in line" with their whole theory and got flustered when some people didn't. We want diversity......as long as you think the same way as we do, otherwise, watch out.

I just found the whole exercise pretty illuminating on how people view themselves and others, especially when getting lumped in together with others because of the color of their skin.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

The students are only allowed to express government-approved feelings.

Any emotions outside the norm should been seen as a diagnosis of a mental condition and the student(s) should seek help immediately.

Medication and literature should be made available for those students who didn't think in the correct state-approved manner.

How many times are we going to have to see this type of independent thinking? I honestly believe that the parents are responsible and should be visited by DHS and TSA ASAP!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by pavil

Any emotions outside the norm should been seen as a diagnosis of a mental condition and the student(s) should seek help immediately.

Medication and literature should be made available for those students who didn't think in the correct state-approved manner.

How many times are we going to have to see this type of independent thinking? I honestly believe that the parents are responsible and should be visited by DHS and TSA ASAP!

I disagree but don't tell the *gulp* nsa.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

justreleased

beezzer
reply to post by pavil

I disagree but don't tell the *gulp* nsa.

Toooooooo late!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by pavil

well gee beez I think you just nailed the next link to the overprescription of psychotropics…Mention Jesus and BAM your being evaluated for "issues".

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

not going to use this thread to say "see I told you so" about getting your kids out of prison...sorry public school and teach your kids at home instead of having them brainwashed by the PC police.

but....if my kids were in the public system....which they are not....thank whatever god you worship (PC)...I would want them to have the back-bone to stand up for themselves....so I say good job kiddos.

here is a great vid from a home school kid that I found very interesting
www.youtube.com...

edit on 15-1-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well. they did ask for their opinions.
Diversity and inclusiveness have run their course and it's time to put such constructs to a permanent rest where they belong.
Today's kids are not their grandparents nor are their attitudes anywhere near the same.
It is wrong the put the blame on any of the children.

I made the mistake of renting the movie "Elysium" the other night.
I've never seen such a naked political bias infused into a movie before.
in short: immigrants are the good guys, the rich are bad, lets make the world better by making everyone a citizen of Elysium.
Can you say "DREAM ACT"?
I knew that you could.
Keep DREAMING.

Eta: Jodie Foster and Matt Damon are 2 actors I used to have some measure of respect for as people.
Now I just think they're suckers.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
All hail diversity! Truth doesn't matter anymore only appearances.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
A diversity and inclusion group should know and understand abut systemic discrimination/racism and would expect the reactions that occurred in that demographic. It therefore seems strange that they either didn't expect it, were unable to address it or didn't have a way of discussing it.

I suspect either they don't know their field or for whatever reason, were not able to address it in the way they intended.
edit on 15-1-2014 by spacedog1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Political correctness is a blight on our society, and is absolutely a case of the medicine being worse than the illness.

They certainly did expect them to fall in line, schools today seem more like indoctrination camps where authoritarian-minded folks get to play sick games with the minds of children than the schools I recall.

Kudos to those young kids for thinking for themselves.

S&F!
edit on 15-1-2014 by TurtleSmacker because: I'm not in any way saying racism is good, just that this isn't the way to handle it.

edit on 15-1-2014 by TurtleSmacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
Well. they did ask for their opinions.
Diversity and inclusiveness have run their course and it's time to put such constructs to a permanent rest where they belong.

I assume you say the above because of the below?

Today's kids are not their grandparents nor are their attitudes anywhere near the same.

Depending on how this group present their work i.e talking about systemic institutionalised discrimination, then it doesn't matter whether the kids are the grandparents or whatever. Like sexism, it doesn't die out because a generation dies out. Our institutions foster it and generations can continue to unwittingly promote it, if they are not taught how that can occur.

It is wrong the put the blame on any of the children.

Putting 'blame' on children isn't something (from my understanding) can come from the showing of a film. I don't understand that projection.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I had some similar experiences growing up. I was always the person that said or asked the wrong thing in these classes. I remember a couple of classes in particular I was told to go and sit in the library until it was over. I wasn't particularly over bearing, but they would ask me a question and I would answer. I made a lot of mistakes as a child but those moments weren't mine.

Some would have called me insolent or other things, but with the internet you now have thousands of children like me with access to websites and books to back up their thoughts and opinions. It should be a learning and discussing opportunity when these moments happen not a chastising.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I had the same reaction when I watched it on On Demand. What a waste of $5.99.

As far as these students, the school should be thrilled that the students expressed their opinions and encourage that unless the kids are just trolling to cause drama. Not having been there it's hard to say.

Schools need to teach how to think, not what to think. When they teach what to think it's indoctrination, not education.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Blaine91555
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I had the same reaction when I watched it on On Demand. What a waste of $5.99.

As far as these students, the school should be thrilled that the students expressed their opinions and encourage that unless the kids are just trolling to cause drama. Not having been there it's hard to say.

Schools need to teach how to think, not what to think. When they teach what to think it's indoctrination, not education.

I too would be thrilled... and you are certainly right in the indoctrination vs education. I have home schooled my own kids, but I work with so-called "at risk" kids and teens in a volunteer manner. Some of these kids Ive known for a long time.. some new. I dont do it ALWAYS, but I love to make them think once in a while. LOL! NO one else wants to do what I do.. so its not like they say much to me even if they disapprove
ANyway, I did the PBJ thing.. and the Peanut, butter, jelly tortilla. ( Youd have to read the thread.. PBJ is racist). Im not white.. not black.. but since Im not white and all of these kids are black and/or hispanic its easier to voice things with me. Go figure.. the social implications of that alone are weird. These are "welfare" kids.. some generational.. system kids. Kids in trouble at one time or another. I pulled the PBJs and tortilla PBJs out after the game and they looked at me like I was NUTS. I read them the article and asked them what they thought about that. Not what I wanted to hear.. what they THOUGHT themselves. These kids are usually racist or biased to one degree or another.. like everyone. Some more than others. They also know all about the victim and race card.. but it just doesnt work on me. LOL! Anyway.. NOT ONE kid thought that was rational normal or reasonable. They made jokes and thought it was stupid as hell to think that was racist. We had a really good conversation about "political correctness" and politically driven victimization. Some of the kids agreed with PC.. others DID NOT. It was truly a 50/50. I find that enlightening, personally!

If we would ask kids WHAT THEY THINK. and no punishment or repercussions for answering in a way that isnt what we want to hear... and if we would LISTEN to the kids we would be a hell of a lot better off. Kids will let you know what they need, think, and even require IF we listen to them. PC be damned. Children should learn to be sensitive to their audience, polite, taught some social graces... but demands of PC and demands that they NOT think for themselves much less voice their own thoughts.. its murdering the growth and eventual bloom of the childs mind itself.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

These days and all the politically correct crap and racism....I want open dialogue.
I don't worry about the people who say they are racist....I worry about the PC people that preach they aren't.
We all have had a racist thought in our lifetimes...the ones who deny it are the ones who worry me.
Open dialogue is the key...not PC bullshoot.

To be a kid in school these days....man i am glad i am aged and not dealing with that crap.
Good luck sir.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by pavil

Your sarcasm is a rather effective tool in shining a light on your true feelings here...which I unabashedly agree with 100%.

The simple fact is, there is no single "white" student in school today that owned slaves, oppressed someone by limiting their chances at obtaining a job or housing. Not a one that forced someone to the back of the bus because of their color, etc.

I for one feel that this "you owe us" attitude has to go. I didn't do a damned thing. I have never held someone back who showed themselves as being skilled and qualified from a good job. I was raised to respect people. My father specifically moved us far away from his father's influence as my grandfather was a hypocritical member of the KKK that had a black family on the "other side of town". Imagine the fun fire works that went off when his "other" family showed up at his funeral. Not that anyone was upset that african americans were there....but out of utter shock that someone could be so bigoted and yet have an entire family of the very people he vocally hated and stood against.

I don't hear anyone talking reparations for the way the US Gov't screwed over the Native American Indians. Who happen to be my family. I don't hear anyone talking reparations of any form for the US Railroad and it's historical abuse of Irish and Scottish workers by quite literally paying them in whiskey for their work on the building of the railroad. Who happen to be my family as well

Kinda makes my grandfather come across as even more of a hypocrite knowing that my family is a fair percentage American Indian, exclusively on his side of the family. The KKK hated *anyone* that wasn't caucasian. And American Indians fall into that category left, right, and center.

I am disgusted that we have a privileged class of "victims" in our society today. With the exclusion of only a few nationalities of European origins that I can think of, we've all experienced racism at one point or another.

The only people who are truly getting screwed at this time in our history, IMHO, are Women in the workforce....who earn typically $.72 on the dollar for ever dollar a Man makes.
edit on 15-1-2014 by zeroBelief because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Critical thinking is undesirable by public school standards. At best, it isn't promoted. At worse (and most often) it's reprimanded.

I believe that there is an agenda that in fact, is carried through public school with the purpose of shaping kids into a specific way of thinking and belief. All the proof you need is to look at the public school curriculum, it can be as subtle as a suggestive word problem or as obvious as what we have here.

In other words, indoctrination. Some people might say, well that's crazy talk. Lets take a look at the definition of indoctrination:
From Merriam Webster

[bold]in·doc·tri·nate[/bold]
to teach (someone) to fully accept the ideas, opinions, and beliefs of a particular group and to not consider other ideas, opinions, and beliefs

Sounds like the public schools system, does it not? I guess what we thought they meant by "zero tolerance" was all wrong.

If you have the means, the time and ability, I would suggest homeschooling to anyone with a child in a public school.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Advantage
If we would ask kids WHAT THEY THINK. and no punishment or repercussions for answering in a way that isnt what we want to hear... and if we would LISTEN to the kids we would be a hell of a lot better off. Kids will let you know what they need, think, and even require IF we listen to them. PC be damned. Children should learn to be sensitive to their audience, polite, taught some social graces... but demands of PC and demands that they NOT think for themselves much less voice their own thoughts.. its murdering the growth and eventual bloom of the childs mind itself.

Unfortunately, I think this is a situation where we absolutely have to teach, and to lead, by example.

Political correctness is a blight. It's a crippling form of thought. It's one thing to be abusive towards another with words and thoughts, but another entirely to handicap yourself to the point of not only limiting your ability to communicate effectively but also to act effectively.

Simple fact is, if I am talking about a black man over in a corner, and need to point him out to people who don't know him by name, I'm going to say "Yeah, Paul, over there. The black man standing in the corner." I am a big guy. 6'3. People ALWAYS refer to me as "the big guy". It's only logical. It doesn't offend me in the slightest.

And damn it, people need to grow a thicker skin to a healthy degree. Stop letting every single perceived slight as a personal attack.......

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

zeroBelief

Advantage

Unfortunately, I think this is a situation where we absolutely have to teach, and to lead, by example.

Political correctness is a blight. It's a crippling form of thought. It's one thing to be abusive towards another with words and thoughts, but another entirely to handicap yourself to the point of not only limiting your ability to communicate effectively but also to act effectively.

Simple fact is, if I am talking about a black man over in a corner, and need to point him out to people who don't know him by name, I'm going to say "Yeah, Paul, over there. The black man standing in the corner." I am a big guy. 6'3. People ALWAYS refer to me as "the big guy". It's only logical. It doesn't offend me in the slightest.

And damn it, people need to grow a thicker skin to a healthy degree. Stop letting every single perceived slight as a personal attack.......

You and I agree on this.
So many people are looking for something to be offended over. Theyll even make things up to feel persecuted and victimized. Weirdest thing Ive ever seen.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Perhaps you could direct your children to this thread or send them some of the comments. They can then circulate them on social media and understand that there are a lot of people that respect their comments and respect them for their comments.

The school teachers need an enema!

P

top topics

<<   2 >>

join