It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local lawmakers lead push for prayer in schools bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by beezzer

How is a student going to the school nurse in private and asking for a condom shoving anything down anyone's throat? It's a medical issue, handled by a medical professional... behind a closed door.

So the school is only promoting safe sex and not any other type of birth control?

Personally I have no issue with a moment of silence, it's the teacher lead prayer that I have a problem with. But for a day, I would love to be a teacher in public school in that State. I would light some candles, cast a Circle, summon the four elements and say this Wiccan prayer.

My Goddess I call thee,
Oh Ancient Mother bless this day
I greet this day with anticipation of what it brings
guide me to be Understanding, helpful, kind & aware.
Blessed Be

Everyone good with that?

Awesome.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

And the Christians that believe Wicca is Satanic? They'll be okay with that?

Somehow I doubt it. Leave the prayer bit out.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I don't see this as a big deal, but I already know how this is going to turn out.

So you're going to give every kid in the classroom the option of stepping out?

LOL.

Good luck with that.

Maybe public schools should start focusing on math, reading, writing, and grammar and stop focusing so much on stupid # like this.

I wish more people had the ability to home school because public schools are a joke from every angle.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

beezzer
Like school giving away condoms?

I just had to pause for afew minutes and read this comment a number of times.

I don't see any comparison Beezzer. Alot of people use condoms buddy, it doesn't require a belief system of any sort, it isn't a requirement during school time. Only on ATS will you be able to make this silly comparison, yep.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

ketsuko
And what's wrong with letting kids who want to pray in school?

Because the goverment shouldnt be telling you when or where or even haveing a say in when or where to pray.

It should be up to the individual only.
edit on 6-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I'd still like someone who is for this moment of silence (barring the religious aspect) feels that more time off from studying and learning is necessary. Like I pointed out in a prior post that got ignored, there are MANY points during a school day and year where the kids get off from school. Why is one more period of time off really needed? Why do we need to keep hacking into the amount of time allocated for learning when it is already so short as it is?

During a school day here are a list of times a k-12 student gets time off from learning or being taught: beginning of day before bell rings, homeroom, time between classes, lunch, recess (grades 1 - 5), gym (anyone who tries to tell me you are learning in gym class is a certain kind of special), some schools have study periods, student assemblies, pep rallies, field trips, oh yeah and they are only in school for about 5 hours out of the day

During a school year here are list of times a k-12 student gets time off:
Any national holiday and some religious ones (ugh..), teacher days, 3 months for summer, 2 weeks or so for winter holidays, snow days (have to have so many before the school starts making them up and even then time and again I've seen that policy waved at the end of the year anyways), the school year is only 180 days (not even 50% of the year is spent in school)

Those are all just off the top of my head, there are probably more times children aren't learning during the school year. And you guys are ok with giving children MORE time off to do nothing? Seriously, time off isn't the problem with our nation's test scores...

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Exactly!

My point is that school has determined that time spent with birth control (which could be taught before school, lunch periods, after school, at home, going to school) is taking away time that could be going towards reading, writing, arithmetic. . .

link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

OrphanApology
I already know how this is going to turn out.

So you're going to give every kid in the classroom the option of stepping out?

You know I have to question what these lawmakers will come up with next if this happens? If these "minutes of silence" amount to little than nothing because many kids can't be bothered then who's to say they won't eventually want to, uhh, remedy this problem? To me it doesn't end here.

Maybe public schools should start focusing on math, reading, writing, and grammar and stop focusing so much on stupid # like this.

Oh you're asking for too much, way too much sir.

link   

Southern Guardian

beezzer
Like school giving away condoms?

I just had to pause for afew minutes and read this comment a number of times.

I don't see any comparison Beezzer. Alot of people use condoms buddy, it doesn't require a belief system of any sort, it isn't a requirement during school time. Only on ATS will you be able to make this silly comparison, yep.

Actually, it does.

Because abstinence isn't taught.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

The amount of meat on the bone that public school students are sinking their teeth into is about 2-3 hours of quality learning time.

Public school is state paid day care, not education. If it was education then kids would be done with their studies in around four hours and the rest would be spent pursuing their own educational interests or sports. Y'know, like college.

The problem is the quality of learning not the amount allocated to it.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
I'd still like someone who is for this moment of silence (barring the religious aspect) feels that more time off from studying and learning is necessary. Like I pointed out in a prior post that got ignored, there are MANY points during a school day and year where the kids get off from school. Why is one more period of time off really needed? Why do we need to keep hacking into the amount of time allocated for learning when it is already so short as it is?

A very good question some members are reluctant to actually answer here.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Sure it is.
It's taught as the most effective method of birth control and prevention of STD's.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by beezzer

Sure it is.
It's taught as the most effective method of birth control and prevention of STD's.

So we can take the time to teach all about birth control (which could be taught anytime other than school time) yet not take 1 minute of the day for reflection or prayer.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Well said. I am currently having this dilemma with my 14 year old who has ADHD. He's not being taught anything except that he's supposed to sit there 7 hours a day memorizing stuff that means nothing to him because it's out of context. My post is off topic so let me bring it back with though I have no issue with a moment of silence sans prayer, your statement that public schools should be more like college would certainly provide (unmandated) plenty of time for prayer if that's what a student wishes to do.

link   

beezzer

So we can take the time to teach all about birth control (which could be taught anytime other than school time) yet not take 1 minute of the day for reflection or prayer.

But surely its not the goverments job to say when and where?

Should be up to the individual or at most individual school right?

link   

ketsuko
And what's wrong with letting kids who want to pray in school?

Because the only religion that should be taught in school is the following:

1. The church of climatology-global warming.
2. Guns kill people.
3. Government is mother and father.

Anything else of course is totally 'unacceptable'.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

beezzer
Actually, it does.

Because abstinence isn't taught.

What exactly is going to be included in the "abstinence" classes? Why sex is horrible? Or what? And how do you think this will attract the attention of teenagers Beezzer? The reason why abstinence isn't taught in schools is because there is nothing to be taught, kids are well aware about abstinence and peer pressure. I'm also sorry but sexual activity is high among students these days, it's an unfortunately reality these days and simply getting teachers to tell kids it ain't cool is well beyond reality buddy, it doesn't address the issue. By the least we can ensure these kids who are inevitably doing it are protected from diseases and unwanted children. It's not the schools that are preaching sex to these kids, it's society unfortunately. Abstinence is something you cannot teach in class rooms because there is nothing to teach.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Wait you disagree with teaching birth control in schools? That seems silly. Kids aren't exactly the paragons of pursuing independent education and dumb people like to have sex in VERY large numbers. If anything birth control, proper hygiene, good dietary practices, and financial responsibility should all be added to school curriculum. You seem to be advocating teaching the bare minimum to students.

Also at least teaching birth control to students is you know, teaching something. Sitting quiet for a minute or so isn't doing anything but taking away from school noise pollution.

link   

crazyewok

But surely its not the goverments job to say when and where?

My friend, the government certainly does say when or where with almost anything else.

Should be up to the individual or at most individual school right?

Yes.

link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's taught as part of health class, sexual health is part of your health isn't it?
Your comparison is inapt.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join