It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013-2014 North American Winter - Report Here

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
This is definitely one of those winters that we've been anticipating for a few years where I live.

After hearing so many reports of the cold and snowfall throughout all of Canada and the US, I figured a thread like this was necessary, instead of threads focusing on one particular province or state.

Here in Newfoundland the winters have been on and off mild over the past ten years, with most snow falling in January/February. Nothing too extreme. If anything we figured the cold was starting to taper off overall. This winter is a different story. I live in St. John's and come Saturday following another storm we'll have had 7 feet of snow fall since the middle of December. There's not really anywhere to put it at this point. It's nearly impossible to walk around the city.

Usually we don't get much snow at all until the first week of January, and not half as much as we've gotten so far. Not to mention temps dropping to a wind chill of -30 to -40C. Today was the coldest I've ever felt in my entire life living here. My legs froze and my watery eyes turned to ice within moments of exiting the house. Fun times! Can't imagine how the next month or two will play out.

What's the story where you live?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Benton Heights, Michigan we just got hit with what seems to be about 8-9 more inches of snow and now the temperature is down to -5 or so? I got worried when I took my dog out as he was slowly limping a bit in the snow, had to run out and grab him. Thankfully he seems fine sleeping on his bed with a heater pointed at him

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitora

Interesting...also definately one of those summers we've been anticipating here in Aussie with record high temps above 40C up to nearly 48C. Round 110F or thereabouts. Quite a contrast. Was putting in new fencing today. Heat cost me a case of cool lager and I'm still sober. Bet the beers are chilled up your way.

Regards Bally.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I'm in the southwestern portion of Kentucky. Our thermometer says 12, we have a dusting of snow and a clear, calm beautiful night. The owls are conversing outside and I'm very thankful that I don't live in a wattle and daub house!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Hey Benton Heights it was down to -8 at 9 last night and has been getting warmer since. Good Morning neighbor

72 Hour weather BH MI

Not a lot of snow but it's early. Probably 10" on the ground but the lake got too cold too fast for much lake effect
edit on 3-1-2014 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Western New York here, between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Temp is 1 degree F. Got 6 inches of snow yesterday. Chill factor below 0. Schools are all closed. Accidents all over due to salt on roads not working due to low temp.Very glad I don't have to work today.

Global warming my a**.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
New Brunswick here and we are having one of those old time winters ..lots of snow and plenty of cold ..We have been luckier than our neighbors because we don't seem to be getting the wind ,well not yet but that can change ..I guess I like lots of snow if we are going to get the cold ..It just seems easier to keep the shack warmer when you bank it with snow ...peace

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
-5° here in Upstate, NY (Albany) - windchill is approx. -20° - not to mention over a foot of snow.

Compare this with the unseasonably warm temps experienced just a few days before Christmas,
and it looks like winter is back with a vengeance. No joke.

Maintain and persevere though - for real, for real! (o_o' )

Lol.
edit on 3-1-2014 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Central Idaho....a week before Christmas we were in the single digits. Got 5" of snow in one afternoon.

Been in the 30's this week, and tonight it's 46*. Love those heat waves!

Spent most of the spring and summer having temps up to 25* from one day to the next. Crazy weather patterns!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I alive in coastal Virginia. We can have 80s one day and twenties the next. It is very changeable here. Yesterday it was 56 average for January. Today it will only reach 35 with rain. Snow is an occasion here. We rarly get it but sometimes when we do its deep and we don't have the removal equipment of the northern states. My youngest was three before he saw his first significant snowfall. We bundled him up to go out to play in it and he took off his mitten and touched it and said I want to go in now. He has never liked being cold it always made him cry as a baby.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   

iunlimited491
-5° here in Upstate, NY (Albany) - windchill is approx. -20° - not to mention over a foot of snow.

Compare this with the unseasonably warm temps experienced just a few days before Christmas,
and it looks like winter is back with a vengeance. No joke.

Maintain and persevere though - for real, for real! (o_o' )

Lol.
edit on 3-1-2014 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

I lived on long island most of my life. It was much warmer there than upstate. You are in the mountains there and it is much colder. How's that egg building. Haven't been to Albany in many many years but remember seeing that building while driving into the city .
For those who don't know, Albany is the capitol of New York not NYC as most assume. Also most assume that NY Is mostly city when in fact it's mostly mountains and countryside and farm land. A lot of folks are surprised by that fact.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Good morning. Central NY (New Hartford) here. -5.5 windchill warnings for 25 to 30 below through saturday for here with about a foot of snow on the ground.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Gotta agree the weather this year here in NY is really screwy.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

lonegurkha
Western New York here, between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Temp is 1 degree F. Got 6 inches of snow yesterday. Chill factor below 0. Schools are all closed. Accidents all over due to salt on roads not working due to low temp.Very glad I don't have to work today.

Global warming my a**.

Are you near Eastbranch? Painted Post or Horses head ? Or are you further north like Onionta. Love Litchfield state park. The grand canyon of the east.
We vacationed in Eastbranch many times. On the river. Can't remember the name of the river but the place was the Buckhorn lodge run by Iris and Rex don't remember their last name. I live in Virginia now and I've been here for twenty two years.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
North Dakota. Right now it's sleeting/raining with a blizzard warning.

Looking at 2 - 6 inches of blowing snow on top of 1 inch of sleet/ice, then temps dropping where the high sunday will be -25.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Middle of the mitten here. We didn't get hit with the snow like southern MI did. We received maybe 2 inches, that brought our total to maybe 4. Still have my road covered with ice though. With the wind chill, they are calling for possible -20F today. And they are saying that next Monday we may hit temps colder than we have had in over 10 years.
Awesome.

Like the news says, remember your pets people. Bring them inside if they are outside pets!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Lockport New York,I can see the Lewiston Escarpment from my front door. Almost got stuck on it yesterday morning going to work,The state didn't plow till late in the morning. I'm on route 78 In what they call low town along the Erie Canal (it's in the backyard) Can see the Locks from here.

Due to the escarpment we don't usually get much snow here, unless we get a Northeaster. Then there is an updraft and the storm drops snow here, otherwise most storms just pass us by. I work in Niagara Falls and they got hammered yesterday. Unlike the rest of Western New York we don't get very much Lake effect here.

We are South of Lake Ontario about 10 miles,and North of Lake Erie by about 15 miles.So unless the wind is just right the lake effect storms miss us.Buffalo and the Southern tier have been getting clobbered by Lake effect this year.Lake Erie is down to 33 degrees and the Lake Effect machine has pretty much shut down,But it won't completely be gone 'till the lake freezes.

Erie freezes, but Ontario doesn't, so when a Nor'easter comes across Lake Ontario, then hits the escarpment, we get dumped on. That's what happened yesterday. Over the last week we have gotten about a foot of snow.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Toronto here. A "beautiful" -23 C cooled down to -35 C with windchill factor morning, with plenty of snow on the ground accumulated from previous snow falls and it will be so hellish cold for the rest of the day. We'll catch a break tomorrow with some rain and way warmer temperatures. As one of the other members said in this thread: Global warming my @ss!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Whistler, b.c, canada. This winter its weird up here, i live in a ski town, theres been more rain then snow since the start of the winter, we had a cold spell for a week at the end of november , -10c for a week, this usualy happens in february and last for two weeks. This is the 2nd green xmas in 12 years, temperature are canadian mild for winter, 5 to -5.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitora

I'm in Quebec (near Montreal). Temperature says -23 degrees celsius now, there's a chill warning in place, it's been over 48 hour now this warning in in effect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join