It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winnipeg, Colder than North Pole and surface of Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
On New Year's Eve the temperature here in the Peg reached -37.9 C. According to the Mars curiosity rover the surface of Mars was -29C.

No wonder my pipes are freezing, I curse my ancestors for settling this land. If I could time travel I would tell them to keep going south!

Winnipeg Sun

CBC Article

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MBMASON

Colder than the Yukon too. Stayed home and ate popcorn. Dam cold. Still cold. Gonna wait it out. Could be a while.

F&S

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MBMASON

Its minus 26 where I am at the moment.
Thankfully,when I did my camping trip over the holidays it was only minus 10 or 11.
Last years trip was minus 32 after windchill and that was brutal.

I would hate to be in Winnipeg right now,stay strong and stay warm.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MBMASON

dp
edit on 2-1-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Those temps are just brutal. And here I was grumbling that the forecast for my area tomorrow is -12C. I shudder to think about frozen pipes...they have the potential to be the stuff of nightmares. Best of luck and stay warm.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

MBMASON
On New Year's Eve the temperature here in the Peg reached -37.9 C. According to the Mars curiosity rover the surface of Mars was -29C.

No wonder my pipes are freezing, I curse my ancestors for settling this land. If I could time travel I would tell them to keep going south!

Is gotta be due to Global Warming lol

Here in Toronto we too are having colder than usual temperatures. Again, this damn Global Warming

edit on 2-1-2014 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Well , at Least your Beer isn't gonig to get warm.............

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
With the wind chill here it's -30,but damn when you have 100km hour winds it feels like -50. I'm sitting here beside the woodstove,and a space heater,and I'm still cold. Guess it's something I should get used to. Early in the season and who knows what next year will bring. Only thing around here that brings the temp up is snow or freezing rain. Oh the joys of Canuckia.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

MBMASON

Winnipeg Sun

CBC Article

Sorry yesterday at round noon BeBeers Victor Mine Northern Ontario
2014-01-01 11:20
-36.68 C reg
-52.92 Wind Chill
Have a screen capture of it can't upload now for some reason

so must of been lot colder new year eve

edit:
Co-worker just it was -38.59 C reg -53.7 Wind Chill on eve
edit on 2-1-2014 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It's cold today, but they are projecting that it won't get any better into next week, either.

I'm seeing us right on the edge of that big mass of brutal cold Arctic air.

I guess the Farmers' Almanacs were right for this year - brutal cold.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
-38C
It's not even in the cold season yet for the prairies. It might get colder still.
It often does.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Exactly, I shudder to think what it will be like at the real deep freeze times. We've already seen temperatures that are usually what we expect at the coldest point of the year when we normally are still in light coats.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I lived there for 7 years. You are a true cold weather warrior my friend. I wouldn't wish that cold on anyone.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Dang, and I thought tomorrow's high of 57*F was getting nipply. You all are getting hit with the sub-zero stick kinda hard this year it seems o.O

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
And to think I start to shiver when it gets below 75 degrees F...

I would be cryogenically frozen in those temperatures.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
And here, in the Netherlands, it's like spring. Very nice weather and it will stay like that for the weeks.

Lots of sun, too.

Normally its much colder in January. The weather is definitely changing

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I've been working hard trying to find the frozen part in the water lines. Every tap and faucet including toilets have no water. I called the city and because of demand it could be 8-10 hours. I'm thinking about just calling a plumber.

Thank god I'll be in Vegas in 2 weeks.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I cant imagine those extreme cold temperatures, brrr.

I live in the UK and it's cold right now, but nothing severe like your peg temps though. I shiver even though I'm indoors.

I often wonder how on Earth do homeless people survive the cold in winter time?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Interesting. How did the Farmers' Almanacs said it would be a brutal winter this year for that region? I have much more fate in those who read nature in predicting weather then the institutions so it would be nice of you if you could share how they forecasted a brutal winter.

Thanks in advance

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well I'm not surprised. I lived in Kenora for 4 years. I've never felt cold like that.

ETA: For those that aren't used to both temperature scales. F and C meet at minus 40.
edit on 2-1-2014 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join