It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Segregated Is Your City?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
*mods: I have no idea where to put this.
demographics.coopercenter.org...

I stumbled upon this map while working on a project that involved racial demographics of certain neighborhoods. The map uses 2010 Census data to connect 1 person with their race/ethnicity to 1 dot on the map. The map in total has over 308,000,000 dots!

The city I live in (Portland, OR) is very .. very white. I knew it was the whitest major metro in the US, but I didn't think it would be represented so clearly. Some cities like Seattle are well integrated. Some cities like Atlanta or Detroit are shockingly divided in a clear cut pattern. And it's interesting to note that in most major cities every single race segregates themselves into their own communities. Looking at the town I grew up in, Dayton Ohio, the division is absolute, and it's fascinating to view in a color coded map.

I thought it was interesting enough to share. For a "modern integrated society" we are clearly segregated in most cases.

edit on 12/28/2013 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Enough that when i say I'm a "forest park" kid people know what that means

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

How Segregated Is Your City?

Its not...

Welcome to Canada!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Having moved from So Ca, which is a diverse melting pot.

Portland, is interesting to say the least, unique make up of people. Surprised by the shear number of Eastern Europeans here.

Its overall a nice place, Picked the outlaying areas to move because my wife's a photographer and we wanted the ease of a metro area with out the hassle with the added accessibility of nature that living toward outlaying Gresham Area.

Its different but different isn't bad, just different from what Im used to living in LA, the... paleness
of the majority of the population doesn't really effect me though.

What I find hilarious is Portland's Definition of "ghetto", there is not a place in this city I wouldn't feel comfortable walking at 3 am alone.

It really is the town where young people go to retire, and its a strange mix of Conservative/Liberal that I find refreshing having come from Left leaning CA my whole life.

With all that being said, I won't say I haven't noticed some odd looks (While looking for work, and Housing) that I won't attribute to racism, Ill just say I think P-town is more use to the Day-Labor Hispanics than the 10th some odd generation american College educated ones (which would definitely explain the lack of them in say Lake Oswego, but coming from Ca I could easily of gone there instead of where I did)...

Honestly, the Demographic divide is probably more Socio-economic than racial, Gresham/troutdale (more "integrated" areas) have some interesting... Residents in general that fall in line along economic division than race.

ETA: Just so I am clear, any large population group can expect members to achieve success, the Larger the pop like in Portland, the more of that group finds success, and thus move to "nicer" areas. So in a town where one race is dominant of course their will be areas with clusters based off statistics alone.
edit on 28-12-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Not really. Not in Medway UK. Only isolated community is the Sunni Muslims. I say Sunni as the shia Syrians and Irains are quite freinldy and mix alot better. Apart from that Blacks, Eastern European and Asian are rather blended in. I guess there are not as many blacks in the richer areas but thats not because they are not welcome.

Crimes pretty even out aswell , not one group really holds the blame.
edit on 28-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
What does Color have to do with it?

Now SHOW me a map of where ALL the Down To Earth People ARE and NOW you have my Attention!

Peace

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
We have the people who blow snow and those who shovel it. There are also those who plow it. I never thought of it as segregation. Almost everything is about white here in the winter.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

There are a lot of Eastern Europeans, in fact a few neighbors are Ukrainian. The first job I had in Portland I worked with Ukrainians and Russians who couldn't get along (and God save you if you called the Ukrainians Russian).

It would be interesting to see a more detailed census map that tracked the ethnicity of various races. Do Koreans and Chinese immigrants mesh together? Do Mexican and Hondurans? Do whites still segregate themselves into enclaves?

top topics

join