It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorist checkpoint in Reading draws questions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

A private firm with a federal contract - and backed up by city police - forced motorists off Laurel Street and into a private parking lot Friday to question them about their driving habits and ask for a swab of their mouth.

"I feel this incident is a gross abuse of power on many levels," Reading resident Ricardo Nieves, one of those stopped, told City Council Monday.

He said federal and local tax dollars were being used to stop innocent people without probable cause, and allow a private company to hire uniformed police to force citizens to listen to their questions.

He said he wasn't told what the swab was for, but added, "Clearly it was for DNA."

Motorist checkpoint in Reading draws questions

This is my hometown. What on earth could be the purpose for something like this? How is this not unreasonable search?
edit on 17-12-2013 by sweetpeanc because: add

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I remember reading about this awhile ago, before they started doing it.
There is already an article here about the checkpoints/swabs.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetpeanc

I thought for a moment you were referring to Reading, Berkshire England

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

alldaylong

Same here. God, could you imagine the M4 if they did that just off Theale? I know they stop anybody with good reason (or not) up here Swindon way.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
WTF?

I would never submit to this type of search.

Somebody needs to just say NO...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
From the article:

"Our rights are being violated more and more every day," he said. "It's another way of government intrusion into our lives."

You have no rights you dont stand up and fight for when they are challenged.

edit on 12/17/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Sorry, should have specified in my comment. It's Reading, Pennsylvania, US. One of the most impoverished cities in the US and home to a high number of illegal residents.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

sweetpeanc

Sorry, should have specified in my comment. It's Reading, Pennsylvania, US. One of the most impoverished cities in the US and home to a high number of illegal residents.

That's fine and no prob.

I would find it very strange however if this did ever happen in England. There would be a right rumpus.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I thought he meant Reading, UK too.

People would flip out at being held up and made late here.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
We had the same thing happen in Fort Worth. In fact the Chief of Police is in a bit of hot water with the citizenry and a local congressman for not publicly stating that this was all voluntary. Apparently the way the operation was run in FTW it appeared to most if not all motorists that they had no choice but to pull over and submit.

www.star-telegram.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

deadbang
We had the same thing happen in Fort Worth. In fact the Chief of Police is in a bit of hot water with the citizenry and a local congressman for not publicly stating that this was all voluntary. Apparently the way the operation was run in FTW it appeared to most if not all motorists that they had no choice but to pull over and submit.

www.star-telegram.com...

Yep, sounds like the same thing. In Reading, the place where this happened is in a not-so-nice part of town, and the residents are mostly Hispanic. I suspect the majority of the people they stopped aren't likely to know their rights, and may not have a good grasp of English.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

In Reading, the place where this happened is in a not-so-nice part of town, and the residents are mostly Hispanic.

That could be most of the city...
Or a good bit of Berks County.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

that doesn't sound too Orwellian police state since they didn't do cavity searches as well. ...and they say the word "pig" has gone out of vogue.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

alldaylong

You mean this isn't about Reading?

Hmmm

Saved me time, thanks

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
That does it! I am officially carrying my pocket Constitution with me everywhere I go. Swabs being used to test for "prescription drugs?" Even if this wasn't for DNA samples, it would still be a violation of people's medical privacy! And rent-a-cops can provide adequate security. I don't buy that the cops were just there for that. Intimidation all the way. Probably had tac-vests and ARs drawn too.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

same here ...
i was in utter disbelief and also outrage that such a thing like this could happen in UK (at this present time) .. seemed more likely i was missing something .... as others say .. just no way people adhere to it willingly .. were so used to being nudged rather than pushed here the past while .. coerced rather than forced directly..

in contrast tho ... when i got to the bit where it mentioned 'federal' and 'dollars' ... i then realised it seemd more feesible for this to happen in america. .. tho my feeling of outrage at such a scenraio remains ... when i say feesible .. i dont mean acceptable .. just mean im not surprised, due to the many crazy things ive read in here, that teh authorities do in america, that just would not happen in UK .. yet .. at this present time .. at least not so directly plainly obviously in our faces .. yet

tho im not naive that the authorities / politicians, here are any better .. perhaps worse ... they just seem to be mopre indirect in their sleekit corrupt ways .. its as tho the american authorities dont even care about people seeing what they are upto ... that can be open to interpretation i guess ..

since in many ways the UK seems to be hanging out the US butt ... the crazy things i read here that happen in US, i think are often not far away from us .. so we should always take heed of what we read here ...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

sweetpeanc

One of the most impoverished cities in the US and home to a high number of illegal residents.

Clearly you state US. But sure sounds exactly like the Reading, England I know...ha

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have been through one of these checkpoints. I refused and went on my way without any issues. Had there been I was prepared to deal with it...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
How did I miss that in the Eagle? Reading is my hometown too.

What a load of excrement!! Having to refuse the swabbing several times, it being approached like 'it is for the good of the many'?

Derek

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Yet the funny thing is there are still plenty 'o' zombies out there who would jump at the chance to make a buck to get swabbed. That's why they needed the cops, right? Since the survey was a paying one with the free mouth swabbage included?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join