It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Cockroach Species Invading the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Alien Cockroach Species Invading the U.S.

New York City, home to eight million people and untold numbers of cockroaches, just got a few more of the latter.

A newly seen species, Periplaneta japonica, has just been discovered in New York’s elevated High Line park. As its name implies, the cockroach is native to Japan, and this is the first time it’s been spotted in the United States.

“It is closely related to the common American cockroach (Periplaneta americana) although it is a bit smaller,” said Dominic Evangelista, a Ph.D. candidate in insect biology at Rutgers University in New Jersey, who, with co-author Jessica Ware, documented the roach’s presence in a new study just published in the Journal of Economic Entomology.

What has New Yorkers’ ears perking up (and skin crawling) about the news isn’t just the fact that there’s a new bug in town, but that it boasts an unusual resistance to cold weather, which perhaps isn’t the most welcome development when it concerns a creature already popularly known for its hardiness and supposed ability to survive an atomic blast.

“It can survive outdoors, and thrives on ice,”

Ok, enough is enough.

Whats wrong with simply having Umerkun roaches?

Here we go. Yet another addition to the already disgusting realm of creepy crawlies. I know they have a place in the grand scheme of things but that wont stop me from stomping everyone I see. Go ahead and flame me for not wanting these creatures whether native or not in my home.

Now we have a breed that will thrive in cold temps....

Thoughts?
edit on 12-12-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Pray to the new masters that will be roaming the earth soon.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Errrr nasty things cockroaches, hate them.

The one on the left looks like my ex-boyfriend lool.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by restless genius

Interesting.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

What the hell, man! What the hell!

(beezzer bathes again and again and again and again. . . . )

Seriously though, I'm just surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

If u live in new York the least of your worries is cockroaches

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

victhebutcher

Considering all that goes on in New York do we really need this added to the mix?

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
In Florida our cockroaches can fly.

Let me know when yours are airborne.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ewwwww That's ugly. When I saw the title I just thought David Cameron was due a visit

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Hey grey..those things fly here too... I'm in north Mississippi... It's so creepy and they dive at you...you run..then bam...they are sitting on your shoulder like a parrot!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Moving things all over the world is becoming a big problem. It is not only bugs, invasive plants, and fish with no predator to control them, it is microbes. This problem has gotten out of control.

I know America is referred to as the melting pot but come on now. I bet not one of those cockroaches has a passport.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

natalia
reply to post by grey580

Hey grey..those things fly here too... I'm in north Mississippi... It's so creepy and they dive at you...you run..then bam...they are sitting on your shoulder like a parrot!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Thanks for the lifetime of nightmares you just gave me with that description. Between the pictures and the mental movie I just got from reading your post, I'm never going to sleep again.

*makes a mental note to stay up north*
edit on 12/12/2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Lol lets just say his personality was more cockroach like, rather than the actual appearence.

Saw it and thought of him ha.

edit on 12-12-2013 by restless genius because: spelling gone to pot, is that right. Never mind

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Ok, that made me laugh out loud for real then look on both shoulders...

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

victhebutcher

Better food source for the rodents!

that is what is scary.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

Oh great

Hadn't thought of that. First an explosion of roaches followed closely by an explosion of rats feeding on the roaches.

Oh, the humanity....

*Checks shoulders again. Lifts feet.
edit on 12-12-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Here we go. Yet another addition to the already disgusting realm of creepy crawlies. I know they have a place in the grand scheme of things but that wont stop me from stomping everyone I see. Go ahead and flame me for not wanting these creatures whether native or not in my home.

Do me a favor? If someday you come upon the great tome of all knowledge that, somewhere in a footnote at least, gives mention to the purpose of these little vermin....post a thread.

Aside from being the sole survivors of all out global thermonuclear war, which I don't consider a point on the plus side of their life column, I can't think of anything they're good for except existing to be repulsive to other forms of life.

(stomp stomp stomp) Really, think of the Doritos commercial and adapt it for the moment. 'Stomp all ya want, they'll make more'..unfortunately, that last part is all too true. ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

restless genius

Errrr nasty things cockroaches, hate them.

Sorry, am I assuming you went out with a cockroach?... lol jokin.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
this species was actually found over a year ago by a fellow exterminator and although it can survive in lower temperatures it will not be invading anything more than the plethora of other roaches we already have, interestingly enough, none of the household invaders species of roaches are native to north america.

really nothing to see on this topic, more so sensationalists headlines is all there is to it. you should be more careful of the government roaches in our cities though.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Do me a favor? If someday you come upon the great tome of all knowledge that, somewhere in a footnote at least, gives mention to the purpose of these little vermin....post a thread.

Been done.

Being hardy and prolific is a great benefit as a staple in the food web. Too bad they have a downside.

www.orkin.com...

extension.entm.purdue.edu...
edit on 12-12-2013 by HanzHenry because: bb

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join