It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold Dis-comfort: Antarctica Set Record Of -135.8

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
WHEW.... It was just recently I was sharing the news of 1,000 cold records set or broken across the U.S.. Now the coldest place around, sets its own cold record.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Feeling chilly? Here's cold comfort: You could be in East Antarctica which new data says set a record for "soul-crushing" cold.

Try 135.8 degrees Fahrenheit below zero; that's 93.2 degrees below zero Celsius, which sounds only slightly toastier. Better yet, don't try it. That's so cold scientists say it hurts to breathe.

Okay, it doesn't seem quite so cold out there anymore... It's only 21 where I'm at right now. That seemed chilly until reading this.

On Monday, the coldest U.S. temperature was a relatively balmy 27 degrees below zero Fahrenheit in Yellowstone, Wyo., said Jeff Masters, meteorology director of the private firm Weather Underground.

"If you want soul-crushing cold, you really have to go overseas," Scambos said in a phone interview. "It's just a whole other level of cold because on that cold plateau, conditions are perfect."
Source

So, I suppose the next time we get to thinking we're freezing and it couldn't get any colder? Ummm... Goodness... It can and, yeah, (shiver)..does.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Wow thats cold!!!

GLOBAL FREEZING! ANYONE NOT CREATING ENOUGH CARBON MUST PAY A TAX

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
No no no! I refuse to reprogram my brain and believe it can get that cold. I am an admitted winter wuus who prefers to believe their thermometer was broken. Minus 50 is horrid enough, and anything lower is just plain obscene. At that temp our bones would just freeze and shatter.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Ok, and I've been walking around my house all day in two layers of fuzzy socks! My toes just curled up aching in cold sympathy.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Try 135.8 degrees Fahrenheit below zero; that's 93.2 degrees below zero Celsius, which sounds only slightly toastier. Better yet, don't try it. That's so cold scientists say it hurts to breathe.

So, I suppose the next time we get to thinking we're freezing and it couldn't get any colder? Ummm... Goodness... It can and, yeah, (shiver)..does.

I love the cold, the colder the better. I'm cursed living in the tropics, it never gets cold enough for me. But negative 135 degrees? Naw man, screw that crap. There's a limit to the insanity.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Minus 92 C is pretty damn cold, but in canada it gets pretty freaking cold too you know.

It seems there are those of us who were born in a frozen lake, and others that should just forfeit their citizenship, and move to california.

Ha ha, if you're canadian you have no right complaining about the cold, it's in your blood.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Otherwise known as "Inuit bikini weather"

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Nyiah

Wrabbit2000

I love the cold, the colder the better. I'm cursed living in the tropics, it never gets cold enough for me. But negative 135 degrees? Naw man, screw that crap. There's a limit to the insanity.

Nyiah - would you like to move to a little house in the uk and I'll move into yours?

Would it be possible to survive temps of -93.2, assuming some basic shelter?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
With the cold, you can always put another layer of insulation on. In the heat, however, you can only strip down so far before getting arrested.

new topics

top topics

join