It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBO:Top 40% Paid 106.2% of Income Taxes; Bottom 40% Paid -9.1%

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

ketsuko

Poor decisions?

More like college loans and a health condition. I guess getting an education with a chronic condition was a poor decision. We should have stayed in our place rather than aspiring to do better. Now, we're saddled with payments to the government out both ends - loan debt and tax burden. Between the two, we live extremely modestly even though we are solidly middle class.

And yes, we pinch every penny and I skip meals, sometimes more than one per day.

Maybe someday, we'll stop paying the student loans, but by then, we'll have Obamacare like a big fat monetary monkey on our backs.

Ketsuko, are you making more than $60,000 a year?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DrEugeneFixer

Me? No.

Husband, yes.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
ETA:

DrEugeneFixer
This is personal for you, I get it, but it's not for me.

Of course it is personal for me, I work hard for my goddamned money!!!! What complete jackass doesn't take it personally when they are robbed? Show me a single dude who expects someone to sit quietly, happily even, and watch complete strangers walk up to their wallet and steal note after note... yet every tax day millions of us are expected to be that very dude and, worse yet, are ridiculed, insulted, and called greedy if we say anything.
End ETA

Exactly the type of answer I would have expected. Why wouldn't an individual who feels entitled to steal money earned by others not also feel entitled to make judgemnets regarding how judiciously those earners are using the remnants of their income left after taxes?

From the bottom of my heart, thanks for espousing the attitude that was responsible for crapping all over the American dream.
edit on 16-12-2013 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

DrEugeneFixer
Ketsuko, are you making more than $60,000 a year?

Remember when the liberal politically publicized threshold was $1,000,000 a year?
Remember when it became $250,000 a year?
Remember when the politcians then started talking about $120,000 a year?
Now I see this broken record of $60,000 a year...

thecounterpunch.hubpages.com...

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Keep supportin' them taxes, Protestant. I'm sure the new threshold will stand.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Oh, I remember it very well.

And it's rich to think that we're making poor decision when a chunk of our change is eaten up by the medications that enable me to hold down a job to begin with. I didn't used to have that luxury, and if we don't find the income to pay for Obamacare next year on top of everything else, I may not have that luxury once again, and we'll go even further backwards.

But, you know we're making poor decisions ... it's all our fault that we're losing roughly 47% of our gross to taxation between state, local and federal.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

ketsuko
But, you know we're making poor decisions ... it's all our fault that we're losing roughly 47% of our gross to taxation between state, local and federal.

I think it largely boils down to a difference in perspective. When you get the bulk of your needs provided to you by others, $60,000 looks like a fortune. What these people fail to understand (whether intentionally out of convenience of argument or unintentionally out of pure ignorance) is that subsidies cut off at a point well below $60k. Rent isn't cheap when you're not qualified for any sort of low income subsidy or rent control, food gets expensive when you don't have a tax funded account to tap with your litte government issued card every 2 weeks, doctors actually demand co-pays and Patient Responsibility payments at time of service, cell phones aren't given to us as federal gifts, our children's lunches actually have to be PURCHASED by us, in US dollars no less, and when we do our taxes we have a ton of unchecked CREDIT boxes. Anybody who thinks raising a family on $60k, $70k, or even $80k a year should equal a stacked bank account is a clueless ass.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

burdman30ott6
Of course it is personal for me, I work hard for my goddamned money!!!! What complete jackass doesn't take it personally when they are robbed?

Exactly the type of answer I would have expected. Why wouldn't an individual who feels entitled to steal money earned by others not also feel entitled to make judgemnets regarding how judiciously those earners are using the remnants of their income left after taxes?

You have this extreme attitude of entitlement. Taxes are money that you owe, not theft.

It's not the world's fault that you can't seem to make it on a larger than an average income. I'm sure you'll continue to blame anybody but yourself.

burdman30ott6
Anybody who thinks raising a family on $60k, $70k, or even $80k a year should equal a stacked bank account is a clueless ass.

I think I've had enough of this pity party. Poor you, making 60k+ a year and can't seem to find two pennies to rub together.
Maybe you should learn to live within your means.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

And you have no idea what you are talking about, as obviously you are not a retire marine with a retirement pay and a full time job.

Yes my husband entire retirement pay goes to pay taxes + part of his full time pay check I am not about to tell how much he pays and how much he makes as that is our business, but he pay in taxes more than many people around makes in a year, and we are not even rich or wealthy or neither well off, just hard working Americans that are within that growing small group that feed the welfare system, you know the productive working class.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

marg6043

And you have no idea what you are talking about, as obviously you are not a retire marine with a retirement pay and a full time job.

Yes my husband entire retirement pay goes to pay taxes + part of his full time pay check I am not about to tell how much he pays and how much he makes as that is our business, but he pay in taxes more than many people around makes in a year, and we are not even rich or wealthy or neither well off

Sure, whatever, make up any story you want. Conveniently unverifiable. Since you refuse to give specific numbers or examples, I'll just assume that's because you can't do so, just as I've stated all along. Nobody want's to give a single example, I wonder why

If you claim that you refuse to get a job because all the money you earned would go to taxes, you're just wrong about that.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Well, you know the thought is that everyone should have exactly the same, no matter what they do.

The burger flipper should make the same amount as someone like my husband because they work equally hard, nevermind that just about anyone in the world can flip a burger, but not nearly anyone in the world can do what my husband does which is why he makes much more than the average burger flipper.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

ketsuko
Well, you know the thought is that everyone should have exactly the same, no matter what they do.

Oh, it goes further than that. We've crossed the line of equal pay for all jobs into the realm of "Just because I exist, I am entitled to your money."

It's OK, though... as I mentioned earlier, when Atlas Shrugged becomes reality, the aftermath will be satisfying to witness.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

ketsuko

Poor decisions?

More like college loans and a health condition. I guess getting an education with a chronic condition was a poor decision. We should have stayed in our place rather than aspiring to do better. Now, we're saddled with payments to the government out both ends - loan debt and tax burden. Between the two, we live extremely modestly even though we are solidly middle class.

And yes, we pinch every penny and I skip meals, sometimes more than one per day.

Maybe someday, we'll stop paying the student loans, but by then, we'll have Obamacare like a big fat monetary monkey on our backs.

Perhaps you're not actually middle class then? Extremely modest living is extremely modest living regardless of income... unless our definitions of what's modest are different.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join