It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Little More Science Fiction! Writing Contest [Dec2013][WINNERS ANNOUNCED]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Hello fellow writers!

It's another month, and running off the recent success of our monthly contests, December will have it's own as well.

Member Swanne has chosen the theme this month and there are a few choices you can make. This IS the official contest thread, were not voting on a particular theme, you may select from one of these at will:

1.A setting in the future, in alternative timelines, or in an historical past that contradicts known facts of history or the archaeological record

2.A setting in outer space, on other worlds, or involving aliens

3.Stories that involve technology or scientific principles that contradict known laws of nature

4.Stories that involve discovery or application of new scientific principles, such as time travel or psionics, or new technology, such as nanotechnology, faster-than-light travel or robots, or of new and different political or social systems (e.g., a dystopia, or a situation where organized society has collapsed)

As you can see these are all relatively open ideas and concepts. This means that the contest this month is an OPEN contest. No specific theme, other than the Sci-Fi requirement.

Rules of Entry

The contest will run from Thursday 12/5/2013 to Thursday 12/31/2013 at Midnight. Any submissions after that date will be disqualified. A period of voting after the closing of the contest will also be provide.

I'm currently thinking 5 days.

All T&C's Apply

All entries MUST include [Dec2013]in the title.

All entries must be linked in this thread. You must include [writer] [non-writer] in your submission post within this thread.

There is no minimum or maximum character count.

All writing forms are acceptable.

1 single submissions per member.

There will be 3 winners among members who already have "Writer" status. They will be judged separately from all other entries based on stars and flags received.

1st Place -- 5 Applause & next contest theme choice.**
2nd Place -- 3 Applause
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

There will also be 3 winners from the non-writer category who will receive the following:

1st Place -- 3 Applause & Writer Status
2nd Place -- 2 Applause & Writer Status
3rd Place -- 2 Applause

** As with the previous contest, the story with the most flags will receive the honor of choosing the February Writing Contest Theme. **

Scoring

Flags will be worth 2 points each.
Stars will be worth 1 point each.

*Stars for subsequent posts (ie. additions to the story) will be worth .5 stars.

As for the overall winner in stars and flags. The winner of the A Very Different POV Writing Contest, Afterinfinity will be choosing the theme for January, which is why this month's winner will choose February's.

Alright folks, let's get to writing!

~Tenth
edit on 12/5/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

WINNERS!!!

Writer Category

1st Place -- Swanne – Three Thousand, A.D. – The Chronicles of the Pleiades – 50 Points
2nd Place -- Beezer – Chico Ramirez Came To Town –38 Points
3rd Place -- pheonix358 – The Young Warrior – 35 Points

Non-Writer Category

1st Place --Starheart – ISIS -- 51.5 Points
2nd Place --Tsu322 – Covert Alliance -- 34.5 Points
3rd Place -- CLPrime – Stardust -- 27.5 Points

Congratulation to ALL of our winners. Once again the top prize will go a non -writer ( well newly established writer after this) and Starheart will have the choice of Feb contest details!!

Applause and status will be handed out shortly.

The January Contest will commence in a few hours!!

Thanks everybody for the submissions!
edit on 1/8/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/8/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Nice.. I might give it a go..Cheers.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I think I'll find time this month to enter!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Nice Beezer. It would be an honour for a newbie like me to pit a story against you. Only thing I don't quite understand is how short/long it can be. I understand 'characters' so does this mean I can go 'all out'.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Hello, kinda new here... How do I link the story if I want to submit? Should I copy and paste it in?
Thanks

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kellydog

Hi!

You need to create a new thread in the Short Stories Forum ( with a title that includes [Dec2013] and then come link it here afterwards

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Cool, thanks!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I don't think I have enough posts to start a thread. Oh well. By the deadline I should.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Well here is my go at it:

Writer statusThe Stone Head

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bally001

You could make it as long as you want, you'd just need to add it in multiple posts in the one thread. There is no upper or lower limit for characters, there's only one submission for the contest though.

reply to post by kellydog

Not to go too off topic here, but perhaps you should make an intro thread in the introductions forum. Say hello and thanks to everyone who posts there, and you'll have your 20 posts in no time.
Then get your story on.

edit on 5/12/2013 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Thanks Templar I will!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
My humble submission, [Writer] status:

Three Thousand, A.D. - The Chronicles of the Pleiades

edit on 6-12-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

bally001
reply to post by beezzer

Nice Beezer. It would be an honour for a newbie like me to pit a story against you. Only thing I don't quite understand is how short/long it can be. I understand 'characters' so does this mean I can go 'all out'.

It can be any length, and I look forward to your work! I'll always encourage writing!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

beezzer
I think I'll find time this month to enter!

Cool! I can't wait to read your submission!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The topics for this next contest just aren't inspiring enough for me, but I look forward to reading everyone's submissions and good luck.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Here's my sci-fi story: ISIS [Dec2013] [Non-Writer]

There's many pictures in my story for a reason; for, like a movie, pictures always convey more emotions and feelings than words (a picture is worth a thousand words).
In case you are wondering, they are not mine. They are royalty-free pictures from a website I found, and they were my direct inspirations for this story.
edit on 6-12-2013 by starheart because: Link name

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Wonderful, love the enthusiasm so far guys!

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

[Writer] status

('
')

For five thousand years Kel, and those like him, have mined the ore on a distant moon, that is until they begin to dream of something called, "home".......

The Green Fields of Home
edit on 7-12-2013 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Gorgonize (Dec 2013)

I hope you enjoy.. ran out of characters on first post

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

There is no min/max character count Sir

Feel free to continue in your 2nd post.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join