It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad Cow Disease found in Canada; all beef imports to US stopped

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   
just heard this on the local news (we're so close to the Canadian border here, Canadian news is local news), but here's a link.
any ideas how on earth Mad Cow Disease migrated across the Atlantic to Canada? apparently the only other North American case of the disease was in 1993, in a cow that was born in the UK. it's not transmissible between live animals, though, so hopefully it has been contained.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Anthrax...SARS...Ebola...BSE: it never ends: sensationalist media and the gullible masses.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I only hope that the Canadians have learnt from the many mistakes the British made when dealing with BSE.
Of course, there are trade advantages very often in these "bans": ask the French.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Hey MC.....BSE is transmissable through live animals...thats how it passes through the livestock!

Estragon....agree with you on the mess the goverment made with the outbreak....if they had been willing to try the innoculations then they may have saved some of the cattle and discovered that doing it this way was cheaper and more practical as they could have taken details and used it for research!!!

But....again...politics got in the way!

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Look very carefully at the data, Gryffen: there is evidence but nothing remotely conclusive.
You'll recall the numb silence when a vegetarian expired. This is villainy and the exploitation of ignorance in roughly equal proportions.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Estragon.....hello...live in britain!!!

I remember pretty well the chaos that the MCD outbreak caused in the countryside.....i had to work out there sometimes with rubber boots and a big pot of strong disinfectant on the back of the rig!!!

We'll find out the outcome when the lab results come back...lets just hope this is a singular case!

[Edited on 21-5-2003 by Gryffen]

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen
Hey MC.....BSE is transmissable through live animals...thats how it passes through the livestock!

really? thanks! I know absolutely nothing about cattle except that they make beef and milk. I was just going off the information in the article I read that said it couldn't be passsed from live animal to live animal. so much for fact checking in the media.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I've heard somewhere they all of McDonalds beef comes from Canada.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
A nice quick read on Big Mac's and teh original crisis here:
www.mcspotlight.org...

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
And -apart from the fact that every page should have "We however entirely sc**wed everything up" emblazoned in red at the top -
this is as good as you'll get on BSE:
www.food.gov.uk...

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It's a conspiracy to bankrupt McDonalds.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Damn. BSE seems so long ago to me. We look to have it under control.
Things got so bad that people were scared to eat burgers. It was much worse than foot and mouth.

The government needs to either put money into researching the links between Creuzfeldt Jacobs and BSE or come clean on what they already know.

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Talking about McDonalds!!!

Used to work there!

It takes 1.45 minutes to cook and dress the burgers.
4minutes to cook the fries and over a week for them to really clean out the grease collectors!

If you think that the BSE in Canada will bankrupt McDonalds....wait until the next health inspectors come around?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join