It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest Threat To Minimum Wage Restaurant Workers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Great,

Another machine to take my dollar.

That's alright, I really enjoy kicking the sh@& out of them.

Seriously though, they can keep their smoothie and their machine.

I'm not too fond of smoothies anyway.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
And yet another reason to just stay home and save your hard earned money by eating good old-fashioned home cooked meals instead.

The more forward modern society develops, the more backward we the people need to re-adjust ourselves in order combat it.

... homegrown fresh ripe tomato, anyone ?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by tsingtao

biggest threat to min wage workers?

learning.

i made a sous chef out of my dishwasher. he went on to run his own kitchen. i was very happy for him.

I'm happy for your chef but the rest is too pat of an answer.

In the past it was very easy to continue your education and get a better job. Today it is not and most people simply are not business owner material. They can improve themselves but there are few to no jobs for them to get.

Add that to the change in training / educational requirements and many hit a blank wall. The are tens of thousands if not millions (I'll look numbers up if I must)of college graduates that cannot now find a job.

What possible hope is there for moderate or low educated workers? The automation is going to crush them if it comes about.

well, not really.

i'm thinking about a story i heard recently, about a school janitor, that is now the principle of that school.
he worked his job and went to school and got a degree and taught 3rd grade, i think.
got another degree and now runs the school. (in a nutshell)

many people have worked their way up in a company, is what i am talking about.
it's desire and hard work.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Like it or not, computerised robots performing tasks will be a hugely increasing part of the future.

A smart nation will upskill their workforce so-as to ensure that members of that society feel they have a worthwhile place in that society. If large sections of the workforce are consigned as to feel worthless it's likely to end up a crime filled nation with even greater disparity between the rich and poor.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

cuckooold
Like it or not, computerised robots performing tasks will be a hugely increasing part of the future.

A smart nation will upskill their workforce so-as to ensure that members of that society feel they have a worthwhile place in that society. If large sections of the workforce are consigned as to feel worthless it's likely to end up a crime filled nation with even greater disparity between the rich and poor.

I would even go on to say that government's of the west have already started treating the poor as criminals. There is a war on welfare in britain while our "leaders" ride the gravy train all the way to the bank.

We need a revolution before they create robot soldiers lol The type that dont miss their shot and run twice as fast as any man!

The average human is definitely screwed!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

BlubberyConspiracy
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Except that most things are a scam and if you try to get what/where you want, you just end up getting scammed.

Since education has continud to be dumbed down, I cannot attest to this being part of the school curriculum But a founding principle of our nation was "let the buyer beware". Essentially, "if you are dumb enough to fall for it, blame only yourself."

At the age of 41, I have been scammed very few times. Because not only am I not stupid, I hold myself accountable rather than blaming someone/something else.

Holding yourself responsible for the results of your life is quite liberating. You soon realize that whateer it is that you want, it is up to you to get it.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

terriblyvexed
Relax it's all good.

Obama will just raise premiums on ACA for middle class folks to support the lower wage guys who lose there jobs.

Yep, spreading the wealth it's fool proof...

WHAT MIDDLE CLASS AGAIN??? Yeah that's what I thought.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

You can make delicious higher quality ones at home anyway and save big bucks because let's face it, it's wayyyy overpriced for those things in the public market....plus I love adding veggies to my smoothies too, much more healthy.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

cuckooold

Soon we'll be buying our products with our life...like that movie where they spend time off their lives because immortality is finally cracked, the poor die at a normal (Albeit looking 28) Age while the fat dunderheads with money have lived several lifetimes...that's what they're gunning for...

Me I'm gunning for a fall...a big giant Nuclear war, or asteroid strike, or maybe another ice age making technology well, fall...so then we can start over right, and kill all the dirty capatilistic (I MEAN FACISTS) pigs.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Right, they are going to fire the workers and do the work themselves. How dare those people want a living wage. They expect us to do with only 3 BMWs? The nerve. I need all my homes and boats, they work 40 hours a week and they get food stamps and they want more money and HEALTHCARE. What a Marxist scheme.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

damwel
Right, they are going to fire the workers and do the work themselves. How dare those people want a living wage. They expect us to do with only 3 BMWs? The nerve. I need all my homes and boats, they work 40 hours a week and they get food stamps and they want more money and HEALTHCARE. What a Marxist scheme.

I know a lady who runs a yogurt shop. The margins on such endeavors are so slim that many months she is breaking even (and on some, has to infuse cash into it). She pays around $8.00/hr. Obviously, there is no room for additional payroll costs because she is on a shoestring already (and often doesn't get to pay herself). 5 years in, and she fights for every penny just to make her business work.

Do you want to know what kind of employee she gets? She actually had one who had an allergy to milk that wanted her to spend a fortune on ADA accomodations because of it. Its a yogurt shop, for Christs sake.

I have employed people of all levels of income and education. One thing that I can tell you for sure: if someone is earning minimum wage, there is usually a reason for it. People who lack insight and motivation...that is my experience among minimum wage workers.

Of course, I live in a small town. Our minimum wage workers are kind of like a circuit. They work for a few months and move on....but you eventually have to rehire them again if you have more than a few employees.

Regardless, back to the yogurt shop lady....to increase wages she would have to increase prices. You can imagine that in an already struggling business, increasing prices (or decreasing quality) is just stupid.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
www.csmonitor.com...

Some 31 percent of franchise businesses and 12 percent of non-franchise businesses say they have already reduced worker hours because of the law.
About 27 percent of franchise businesses and 12 percent of non-franchise businesses have already replaced full-time workers with part-time employees because of the law.
Some 41 percent of the non-franchise firms say they already see health-care costs rising because of the law.
As the franchise firms look toward the future, 28 percent of them say they’ll stop offering health coverage in 2015 because of the law. One-third of franchise businesses already do not offer health insurance.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

On that, I think all people can be split up into two groups.
The audacious, and the not-so-audacious.

As to intelligence, I think that most if not all people are intelligent. The difference is how far you are willing to trample over others and their opportunities in order to get what you want? Everyone has a different answer. This isn't the end-all question/issue of things, but vaguely yet accurately describes capitalism and opportunities.

That's my 2 cents.
edit on 16-11-2013 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join