It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need your advice....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Let me ask you something. My situation is this. I hired this one professional to deal with something. They completed most of it. Their about 75% done. But unfortunately, I went way way way over budget. Like 3 times over budget. Plus the fact i'm out of work right now. So I'm debating at this point moving on and finding a cheaper guy to finish it. I already know he's gonna play ever angle to try and get me to say with him, and since he's familiar with what's happened then it's understandable that he should be able to complete the job. But at what cost? I just kinda dawned on me today, and I was thinking "what I am doing, I'm gonna be completely broke at this rate." I think I could find someone to complete the job for like probably 5 or even 10 times less money. And the remaining job isn't as critical. It's more of a mop up. So what do you think, should I move on and just try and find someone to complete it for cheaper? I've just been looking at my finances and I'm thinking "wholy crap I'm going broke here I got to reign in everything and fast". But then I got this half done job that has to get completed, ahhh frustrating as hell. What do I do?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Did you geta quote for the job first, or Do you have a contract?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
no brainer,if you can get someone to do job 5-10 times cheaper then you tell him that and if he can,t match it then you go with them that quoted you the better price.

remember check them out first or could end up costing you a lot more.

yeah forgot to say did you sign a contract as Meldionne1 said? if you did but hes way over what you agreed then don,t see problem walking away cause he didn,t stick to the contract and should have advised you that prices may rise plus if you didn,t then it makes it easier to walk away.
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

It's bad business to go back on your deal you made. Unless ofcourse:

1. He quoted you a specific ammount, which ended up being wrong, in that case I would negotiate the end cost.

2.He gave you a bad quote based on information you provided that wasn't detailed enough, again as a professional, that would be his fault for not doing due diligence and notifying you that costs were rising and his quote was not.

Now if you had specific information, with a specific quote and then YOU subsequently went over budget with requests or modifications etc, then that's all on you buddy

You can surely find somebody else to complete the project, but it's going to leave a bad taste in your mouth and his just so you know. Even if you do save a bit of money.

In the end though, if I was him, I'd still ask for 75% since I did 75% of the work.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

You could look on places like Yelp and Angie's List to find recommeded workers in the same field and have them come by and give you an estimate to finish the work. Next, ask your current worker if he can finish within those estimates. If not, hire one of the others to finish it. It is a difficult situation to be in. I guess it depends if you think the current worker had valid reasons for going over...for example, repair work on my cousin's house went over budget when the contractor found that some of the flooring was rotted and would need to be replaced. It wasn't anyone's fault, it was just something that happened. I think it depends on if you believe the current person, or think he is just drawing things out to earn extra money.
edit on 10/30/2013 by Pillywiggin because: bad spelling

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

All I'll say is that if you end up going with someone else, at least pay the guy for the work he has done to this point. Having worked as a subcontractor myself, there is nothing worse than not getting a paycheck you were counting on to pay your bills with because someone decided not to pay you for the hard work you've already done.

If you go with a cheaper contractor, that's your call, but pay the person who's done the work thus far the amount of money you agreed to pay them for the work they have done to this point.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
You didnt say what the job was. Is it something you have any abilities to finish the last part yourself? Or friends or family?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
LOL. I thought you were talking about a hitman.
Errrr...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

taoistguy
Errrr...

75% dead?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

chr0naut

taoistguy
Errrr...

75% dead?

"mopping up"
:|

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

That went through my mind as well, when there was no mention of what the job was, and the "professional" hired, mopping up still needed.

Most renovation jobs are easy to finish up, or landscaping, or auto work.....

It reads weird without the mention of what type of professional services were used, and still needed.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Keep your word, if the contractor is
keeping to his.
The guy might have offset other
obligations just to accommodate you.
He might end up out of pocket for the supplies he
got for your project. (which you would be liable for, even
if the work was not done)
Best to be honest, tell him the situation and
ask if there is a way to make a payment plan to the
original quote. Either way you'd be liable.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

sit down

and close your eyes

and imagine your roles are reversed...

there will be your answer.

namaste & snuggles

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Can't you finish washing the car yourself?

Seriously, what's the job? Why not suggest payment down the line for having the same person finish the job. Pay the rest when your finances are better.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
That's what I'm saying I've already paid him, and 3 times what I had budgeted, and we're not even close to done. It's insane, I think I'm just gonna level with him today and tell him I have to cut my ties. It's a bit of a gamble but I think I better find someone far far cheaper

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Well this is working out, I found a cheaper guy. And I'm gonna talk to 3 more as well. And now that I got a quote from the cheaper guy I'll run that buy the other 3 and see if they can match or beat that. If not then I'll go with this guy. Thank goodness, like one major burden solved, now another dozen or so more to go and I'll be in the clear ha ha

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Don't waste your money on a hot tub for your girlfriend for a start. www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2-11-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Is this about a hot tub? ...if you are in financial distress, why on earth would you waste money on a hot tub? Not trying to be mean, but be sensible with your money right now and buy the hot tub later.....surely your girlfriend would understand that. If not, she's not worth it.......but, since it sounds like you are knee deep in this project already....this is my advice to you; Get several quotes from several contractors...and don't rush into hiring someone.check out the contractors and see if they have good references. When you do hire someone, make sure you have a written contract that covers all the labour, materials, and any other item associated with your project. NOTE: make sure in your contract you have a FFP-firm, fixed Price! VERY IMPORTANT! that way YOU can not be milked for more money like the current guy is doing, and legally you can hold the contractor liable to finish the job according to the price you agreed upon. Only pay the contractor half or 2/3 up front, and pay the last third upon completion of the job. Make sure that is written in your contract too! This protects you and ensures the job gets done. also, have a completion date written into the contract. This protects you from having someone drag out the project, and your contractor should know how long the project will take.... In some contracts it is written that if the company does not finish by agreed completion date, a % of money will be deducted from the final 1/3 payment owed. ..... Good luck! And get it in writing!

edit on 2-11-2013 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join