It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC - We've Reached The End of Antibiotics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This has been predicted as coming for a while.
Now ... according to the CDC ... it's here.

Top CDC Expert Declares 'We've Reached the End of Antibiotics

A high-ranking official with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has declared in an interview with PBS that the age of antibiotics has come to an end.

'For a long time, there have been newspaper stories and covers of magazines that talked about "The end of antibiotics, question mark?"' said Dr Arjun Srinivasan. 'Well, now I would say you can change the title to "The end of antibiotics, period.”'

Srinivasan, who is also featured in a Frontline report called 'Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria,' which aired Tuesday, said that both humans and livestock have been overmedicated to such a degree that bacteria are now resistant to antibiotics.

‘We're in the post-antibiotic era,' he said. 'There are patients for whom we have no therapy, and we are literally in a position of having a patient in a bed who has an infection, something that five years ago even we could have treated, but now we can’t.’.

Previous threads through the years predicting this would come -
ATS Thread - Are You Ready For A World Without Antibiotics?
ATS Thread - Expert Warning: Resistance to Antibiotics will be Apocalyptic
ATS Thread - Bacteria on the Brink of Victory

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Now all that is needed is for a vaccine resistant flu bug to send people to the hospital where they will pick up the resistant bacteria and BAM!

A pandemic for the history books...if there is anyone left to write them.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

so new drugs will have to be made is the next headline.
ka-ching.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

MRSA has been in hospitals for over a decade now. It was meant to be the end of the world when they discovered it back then.

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Big pharma spends billions every year looking for new drugs. They defray that cost with their current crop of drugs.
I'm not defending big pharma here, just looking at things practically.

I blame the hand-sanitizers. Those home anti-bacterial soaps. They create a perfect environment to make resistant bacteria.

We've "cleaned" ourselves to death.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

The world is overpopulated. We live in a cesspool of our own germs and waste products.
At some point, the Earths 'system' will correct itself and flush a large portion of humanity.
We will kill most of ourselves off ... that's what I think.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

beezzer
I blame the hand-sanitizers. Those home anti-bacterial soaps. They create a perfect environment to make resistant bacteria.

We use them. If I go shopping or to the movies or whatever, I pull it out and use it.
People are germy messes ... and I have issues with fighting germs due to my health situation.
We have dial (antibacterial) and Dawn dish soap (antibacterial) and goopy hand sanitizer in my
car and purse (antibacterial) ....

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

beezzer

But we smell good at least.

And with all the preservatives in food these days, we can do away with embalming as well.

+1 more 
link   

FlyersFan

beezzer

We use them. If I go shopping or to the movies or whatever, I pull it out and use it.
People are germy messes ... and I have issues with fighting germs due to my health situation.
We have dial (antibacterial) and Dawn dish soap (antibacterial) and goopy hand sanitizer in my
car and purse (antibacterial) ....

And they kill 99.9% of all germs. Sadly, it's the 0.1% that can kill you.

link   
reply to post by beezzer

True, and our pill popping culture, driven by doctors with big pharma padding their pockets, we have medicated out our future. We basically flew thru 200 years worth of "adjustments" in about 50 years. Another form of short term greed causing long term failure. There are alternatives, we just do not know what they are yet....

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

TDawgRex

beezzer

But we smell good at least.

And with all the preservatives in food these days, we can do away with embalming as well.

I'll take a mustard poultice over well grooming any day of the week!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

ZeussusZ

MRSA has been in hospitals for over a decade now. It was meant to be the end of the world when they discovered it back then.

MRSA is pretty much a "catch-all" term. Some they can deal with, others?, not so much.

It seems to me to be the new gangrene for the most part. Hack off the afflicted part because there is nothing we can do about it.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

teslahowitzer
reply to post by beezzer

True, and our pill popping culture, driven by doctors with big pharma padding their pockets, we have medicated out our future. We basically flew thru 200 years worth of "adjustments" in about 50 years. Another form of short term greed causing long term failure. There are alternatives, we just do not know what they are yet....

**************(Tin foil hat)********************************

Gene therapy utilizing natural immunities. But they'll need your DNA on file so get ready for big government to step in and "take care" of us.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

beezzer
Big pharma spends billions every year looking for new drugs. They defray that cost with their current crop of drugs.

Hand-sanitisers are generally alcohol based so it would be impossible for bacteria to become resistant to that.
The problem is 100% caused by the over-use of antibiotics.
I would throw a fair bit of blame the way of general practitioners who (still!) dole them out far too easily and mistakenly to people who clearly have viral infections.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The absolute last thing I want is this government anywhere near my well being, I can do that just fine thank you........

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Bacteria and its' evolutionary processes has ben given a wonderful place to evolve in all the animals we give antibiotics to. I have complained that the same process is going on with GMOs that contain bug and weed killer. They will just end up making stronger weeds and bugs. Short sighted when the way the world of no seeums is considered.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

teslahowitzer
The absolute last thing I want is this government anywhere near my well being, .......

And yet ... now it's completely in control of healthcare across the entire country. Considering that they cant do ANYTHING correctly .... doesn't that just scare the stuff'n out of ya'?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Pardon?

beezzer

Hand-sanitisers are generally alcohol based so it would be impossible for bacteria to become resistant to that.
The problem is 100% caused by the over-use of antibiotics.
I would throw a fair bit of blame the way of general practitioners who (still!) dole them out far too easily and mistakenly to people who clearly have viral infections.

Ethanol tolerance in bacteria.

Abstract

The adverse effects of ethanol on bacterial growth, viability, and metabolism are caused primarily by ethanol-induced leakage of the plasma membrane. This increase in membrane leakage is consistent with known biophysical properties of membranes and ethanolic solutions. The primary actions of ethanol result from colligative effects of the high molar concentrations rather than from specific interactions with receptors. The ethanol tolerance of growth in different microorganisms appears to result in large part from adaptive and evolutionary changes in cell membrane composition. Different cellular activities vary in their tolerance to ethanol. Therefore, it is essential that the aspect of cellular function under study be specifically defined and that comparisons of ethanol tolerance among systems share this common definition. Growth is typically one of the most sensitive cellular activities to inhibition by ethanol, followed by survival, or loss of reproductive ability. Glycolysis is the most resistant of these three activities. Since glycolysis is an exergonic process, a cell need not be able to grow or remain viable for glycolysis to occur.

An a diluted form of alcohol or unintended misuse will also contribute to the widespread growth.

Ooops, source
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 27-10-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I think I have the fix...it worked for me...so far.

Let your children climb trees, and then fall out of them.
Let them make insanely idiotic bike ramps and then let them attempt it.
Let them muck about and step on nails
No emergency room visits for minor cuts and road rash.
Let animals and bugs bite them.

But as always, watch them. If stronger measures are needed, then take them to the doc.

Those that the preceding doesn't kill, will be stronger for it.

Joking!...kind of.

+15 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Not a joke at all!

Our family never saw a doctor unless a) the bleeding didn't stop, or b) a bone was broken.

Developing natural immunities will always be far superior to anything big pharma dishes out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join